Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 01:08 PM

2 posts, read 5,683 times

Advertisements

I live in a small town in California. I have lived in my home for 11 years and three of those years my boyfriend lived with me. At one point my boyfriend and I were involved in a domestic violence issue. We went through legal issues he served some time he did his court appointed programs successfully and we have worked through our issues and we have had no issues since. My landlord's first and foremost were my employers for the last 14 years and when a home came available on their property they rented it to me. I am treated like family and I consider them family as well but ever since the domestic violence issues and even after his successful completion of programs they don't care for him. He no longer resides with me and hasn't for the last 2 years but they have told me that he cannot come on the property visit me at anytime or I would have to find another place to live. My boyfriend has done nothing but help me improve the status of my home for example building a beautiful backyard and helping me make it better. I understand they care for me like any other family member would but I think it's completely unfair that they won't allow my boyfriend to visit for even 10 minutes. He doesn't even spend the night. Can they legally kick me out if I have my boyfriend on the property visiting me because of a personal issue they have? He has never caused any problems with any other tenants on the property and is not a nuisance in any way. I have tried to talk to them about this issue and they said the choice is up to me either he doesn't come on the property or I have to find another place to live. I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I don't want to cause a rift between my landlords who is also like my family and I don't think it's fair for my boyfriend and I to be treated like this. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 01:22 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,236,885 times
Dump the boyfriend or move. The property owner can determine who is allowed on the property or not. My lease doesn't even allow for overnight guests because they eventually turn into residents, I'm ending a lease 3 months in for this issue right now.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:23 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
No. He can't evict you. Eviction would require a court order. He can however terminate your lease if you break whatever rules the lease has. He can also terminate the lease with proper notice with no reason given

He can't legally prohibit you from having guests. Even if he has personal issues with the guest. Unless your lease specifies no guests allowed. Ever. And you bring in guests.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:40 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
I'm guessing this stems from the domestic violence issue occurring on his property.

I have a friend who has a clause in his lease that if a major crime (which domestic violence is) occurs on his property, you're out.

Old 06-05-2017, 02:03 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Depends on your lease. Leases commonly do include a clause spelling out guest restrictions.

But it doesn't sound as if you have a lease document.

In general, a LL is able to bar people who commit crimes or act violently or otherwise disturb the peace from her/his property. In fact, in some jurisdictions s/he MUST do this to stay on the right side of the law her/himself.

Sounds like your LL is giving you a choice - you can stay if you want, but you'll have to spend time with your BF elsewhere. Some LLs wouldn't give you that choice. You'd be out on your ear whether you were the individual whose behavior is objectionable or not.

Your decision.

Old 06-05-2017, 02:15 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,276 times
I'm guessing if you've been there for 11 years you're on a month-to-month? If that's the case, Your landlord can terminate your agreement at any time for any reason as long as they give proper notice. Don't give him a reason.

Old 06-05-2017, 05:08 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
You just go over to the boyfriend's house to visit. There is no reason for him to visit at your place and to cause trouble for you.

Old 06-05-2017, 05:20 PM

539 posts, read 566,617 times
After 11 years, youre month to month. In California he can give you a 60 day notice to move out for whatever reason, even no reason at all if you arent in a rent controlled area.

They can prohibit your bf from stepping foot on the premises. He commited a crime there. You say you went thrlugh legal issues. Im guessing a protection order and police reports and/or hospital records are involved. Because of that, your landlord has every right to say he cant step foot onto his property, whether they treat you like family or not.

The broader question, can a landlord prohibit guests? Typically no, but they can under certain circumstances like yours. Or if its in a lease. Or if the landlord lives in the same dwelling sharing communal space. Or if the guest damages property or while on property participates in any illegal activities. Or certain crimes, like sex offenders and other offenders, can be prohibited from being in many places.

The landlord is also protecting himself from any damages too, property wise and legally.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:09 PM

902 posts, read 862,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lushomatic78 View Post
I live in a small town in California. I have lived in my home for 11 years and three of those years my boyfriend lived with me. At one point my boyfriend and I were involved in a domestic violence issue. We went through legal issues he served some time he did his court appointed programs successfully and we have worked through our issues and we have had no issues since. My landlord's first and foremost were my employers for the last 14 years and when a home came available on their property they rented it to me. I am treated like family and I consider them family as well but ever since the domestic violence issues and even after his successful completion of programs they don't care for him. He no longer resides with me and hasn't for the last 2 years but they have told me that he cannot come on the property visit me at anytime or I would have to find another place to live. My boyfriend has done nothing but help me improve the status of my home for example building a beautiful backyard and helping me make it better. I understand they care for me like any other family member would but I think it's completely unfair that they won't allow my boyfriend to visit for even 10 minutes. He doesn't even spend the night. Can they legally kick me out if I have my boyfriend on the property visiting me because of a personal issue they have? He has never caused any problems with any other tenants on the property and is not a nuisance in any way. I have tried to talk to them about this issue and they said the choice is up to me either he doesn't come on the property or I have to find another place to live. I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I don't want to cause a rift between my landlords who is also like my family and I don't think it's fair for my boyfriend and I to be treated like this. Any help would be appreciated.
A tiger can't change his stripes.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:30 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
What's with all the 1 post wonders in this forum lately with bizarre stories?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting