Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 01:10 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,457,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Starwind View Post

Check your facts before you post
Ah, but I was close; you commented on that post asking where we were.

Here we are again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 01:44 PM

472 posts, read 475,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Ah, but I was close; you commented on that post asking where we were.

Here we are again!
Yup

Always have to blame the tenant because the landlord can do no wrong

Old 06-21-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Starwind View Post
Yup

Always have to blame the tenant because the landlord can do no wrong
The landlord in both cases was wrong, but the tenant has a choice to stay there, or go.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:04 PM

550 posts, read 1,490,614 times
Quote:
The landlord in both cases was wrong, but the tenant has a choice to stay there, or go.
Not if the tenant is under a lease. Have you people saying the tenant should just leave ever rented?

You should see threads from tenants who have landlords coming after them over broken leases. Everybody jumps on then too, even if there were serious vermin or maintenance issues.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starla View Post
Not if the tenant is under a lease. Have you people saying the tenant should just leave ever rented?

You should see threads from tenants who have landlords coming after them over broken leases. Everybody jumps on then too, even if there were serious vermin or maintenance issues.
Yes, of course I have rented, many years in fact. But I did my due diligence. I took photos when I toured the property. I read the lease, and if I didn't like the terms, I moved on to another property.

When there is a serious issue, as long as you have given appropriate contact to the landlord (usually written notice twice or a certified letter), you can absolutely leave the lease in most states, and you can request back rent.

That's why it's very important to read through the entire lease, and if something is questionable, you ask it to be amended, or find another place to live before signing.

I truly don't understand how people blame the landlords in some of these cases, when they saw they were moving into a place that had issues. Why didn't the tenant consider that the landlord is likely a slumlord? Why didn't they think that those issues would turn into disasters? And to just stay because the lease says so? They managed to make it here online, well there are a dozen other sites I know of that give free legal advice.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:29 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,566,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starla View Post

I'm not picking sides but, if the OP came on here saying he broke his lease due to the conditions he wrote about and now the landlord is trying to sue him for breaking the lease, he would also get jumped on because he broke the lease. He would be told that you signed the lease, you knew of the issues, and a lease is a binding contract, you can't just leave the landlord hanging, etc., etc.

Sometimes you just can't win. However, there is also some very good, solid advice from many on this forum so I always come back to learn and be entertained despite the sometimes stern tone exhibited by some. We all can't be warm and fuzzy all the time.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
I'm not taking the tenant's side but, if the OP came on here saying he broke his lease due to the conditions he wrote about and now the landlord is trying to sue him for breaking the lease, he would also get jumped on because he broke the lease. He would be told that you signed the lease, you knew of the issues, and a lease is a binding contract, you can't just leave the landlord hanging, etc., etc.
On the contrary, most of us would be bad-mouthing the landlord, just as I did. Nobody should stay in a situation where there is human waste flooding their floors.

Now, other situations where the stove is old and rusty but works? Sorry, but it was there when you moved in and signed the lease.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:40 PM

17,668 posts, read 15,380,050 times
I'm confused here.. Isn't the lease broken now that the home has been condemned?

I thought a condemnation clause was fairly standard in any lease. If the property is condemned.. Lease over.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:02 PM

550 posts, read 1,490,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I'm confused here.. Isn't the lease broken now that the home has been condemned?

I thought a condemnation clause was fairly standard in any lease. If the property is condemned.. Lease over.
I would think so, and even if not in the lease it is probably law in most places.

People don't realize how hard it is to get a place condemned though. I've rented from crappy slumlords before. City inspectors will only come out between 9 and 5 on weekdays, and oftentimes they just expect you to be there whenever they decide to show up. It doesn't work out for you very well if you have a job, and if the problem is backed up sewage, are you just going to not clean it up until the city decides to show up? And not go to work in the meantime? You often don't have a lot of good options.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:34 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,723,840 times
Quote:
On the contrary, most of us would be bad-mouthing the landlord, just as I did. Nobody should stay in a situation where there is human waste flooding their floors.

Now, other situations where the stove is old and rusty but works? Sorry, but it was there when you moved in and signed the lease.
But, you don't always know (or most times you don't know) the person's actual situation or circumstances surrounding why they stay. Moving IS very stressful, expensive, time consuming and draining first and foremost but add to that that someone may have medical or physical conditions where moving may not be an option at the time if they already just moved. Or perhaps they just lost their job and will have an extremely difficult time finding another place that will take them. Or they may not be able to afford a higher rent if that is all they can find, etc, etc, etc.

Everyone is different with different situations and circumstances so there is never a one-size-fits-all solution for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting