Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 07:55 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,998,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Who lets a 15 year old move out to live with their Boy Friend?

Great parenting !................SARC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 08:50 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Seriously.

Call the apartment where she's signed the lease and tell them you didn't sign it and are not going to be responsible as the co-signer. Then send them a certified letter.
This. Tell them (certified letter is best), that you never signed anything and that you are not a legal co-signer.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:19 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,317,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I just got a text from my DD. She put us down as co-signers on her lease!

First, what's that got to do with the mortgage board? We are closing on our house Friday! We were approved for the mortgage by the skin of our teeth. We are holding our breath closing goes through. We don't even want to put anything on a cc or make any bank transactions until it closes. Facts---

Our dd is 20.

She moved out about 5 years ago and has been living with her BF.

She does have a job, but just min wage and she barely scrapes by as it is.

She seldom has anything to do with us, we rarely even see her.

We did tell her under NO circumstances would we co-sign ANY note for her or cosign a lease. We also told her if we cosigned a lease or note the mortgage company would consider that our debt, since it could if she defaults. She doesn't seem to get it----she needs a co-signer, and we are NOT it!

I told her to have her BF be the co-signer!

Problem is, she says she already sent in the application with US down as the co-signers! Now what? We never signed anything and she signed us without our permission!

Since our mortgage is signed and set to close, should I tell the mortgage company about this, or keep my mouth shut?

This isn't my first closing, I know the drill. Somewhere in all that paperwork is a statement that nothing has changed in our financial status since applying for the mortgage. Well, I suppose I can sign that nothing has changed. WE did NOT co-sign any lease application. Our DD signed our names for us! Just to get the application in progress, since its a tight housing market We KNOW that, we are dealing with a tight market, too!

I think best to simply say nothing. As I remember from my Business Law courses, " a forged endorsement is NO endorsement" You don't just sign someone else's name without their permission and think its ok! Trouble is, I think she knows our SSN, or, at least DH SSN.

Like I said, I texted her back that we are NOT in a position to co-sign any notes, ask bf. I've been after her for years to establish credit, I offered to buy her a secured credit card so she could get started, I've begged her to go to school---she dropped out to run after BF. Now, she wants to live the "good life" and wants us to co-sign? I think not!

You didn't sign anything so you're not responsible... If it worries you that much call the leasing office and ask. If she did sign your name illegally you may have to press charges against her to prove to your loan officer that you didn't sign.
Personally, I think your daughter needs a swift kick in the arse anyway.
Why did you let her leave at such a young age? That's mind boggling to me.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:01 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
Don't co-sign that lease, ever. As for her moving out at 15, girls at that age can't be talked too. If you get in the way of her and a boy, she'll just explode and you'll have a ton of problems anyways. Her hormones will rule over everything else. Some people just have that genetic disposition towards this kind of behavior, combined with popular culture which discourages any sort of discipline or discomfort and encourages people to go with how they "feel" which is terrible advice. I know it seems like bad parenting but you can't save everyone. I'm sure she'll be fine. She is 20 now after all. If she hasn't pumped out 2 kids with this guy by now after 5 years, I'd consider that pretty damn good!

Anyways, we should stick to the topic on hand and not bash the OP's parenting skills. Never co-sign a lease.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:43 PM

17,582 posts, read 13,362,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post

Problem is, she says she already sent in the application with US down as the co-signers! Now what? We never signed anything and she signed us without our permission!

Since our mortgage is signed and set to close, should I tell the mortgage company about this, or keep my mouth shut?

She cannot put you on lease as co-signer unless 1) you sign the lease yourself or 2) she forges your signature.

Call her and tell her in plain English "No way in Hell"

I have a friend who lost his good credit rating because his son did not pay on mortgage that dad did cosign.

Our daughter is mad at me because MrsM and I told her no way in Hell would we co sign for her on a new home

Old 06-29-2017, 02:35 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
There is so much more mess here than the co-sign issue.

She's a high school drop out that wants to live the high life by signing a lease with her boyfriend?

I've got nothing here.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:47 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,457,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
There is so much more mess here than the co-sign issue.

She's a high school drop out that wants to live the high life by signing a lease with her boyfriend?

I've got nothing here.
Yeah, I was chuckling reading the OP's definition of renting an apartment as "living the good life." Again, the drama is so thick you can slice it and put it on bread. There is a very simple solution to this non-issue.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:42 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Leave the OP alone on the 15 y/o daughter moving out. There is a long back story to this that DOES NOT matter to the question she asked.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:40 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Who lets a 15 year old move out to live with their Boy Friend?

WOW, I was thinking the same thing!! At any rate.....as long as you didn't sign anything and give your S.S. # then you're not liable for anything!

Old 06-29-2017, 11:56 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
My experience with parents & co-signing ... and Karma:

I left home at 16 & moved in with a boyfriend.

I promise you; there is nothing short of handcuffs & shackles in a closet that could have stopped me from doing what I was going to do.

Five years later I had 3 little boys all 5 & under, had married the boyfriend & was 3 semesters away from graduating from college with my RN (despite starting with a 9th grade education).

I had to ask my parents to co-sign for a car note (& yes; I did ask first). My dad came down to the dealership & went over the contract with a fine-toothed comb, made sure he understood everything in the fine print & then agreed to co-sign.

Within about 9 months, one & a half semesters away from graduating; I flaked.

Big-time flaked. Kicked the kids dad out & made him pay my rent along with his hotel room rent & he got behind on the car payment. I had also just found out I was pregnant with # 4.

My parents said “No problem; we co-signed & we will take over the payments … and the car. Keys; please!”

I was so mad! Pregnant, 3 little boys & in school & then I’m on the city bus? It bears mentioning that our city has a notoriously pathetic public transit system & is entirely un-walk-able. I grumbled & grouched & sniffled & whined to no avail. They made the payments. I stayed in school. And I rode the bus (2 hours one way)

That was nothing; compared to what happened in February: Just a few months before graduating & by then 6 months pregnant; I fell while crossing a parking lot & fractured my ankle & leg. I thought for SURE my parents would turn over the car (being very pregnant on crutches?).

They said; "Nope". I was astonished! I cried. I screamed. I said “How am I supposed to finish school?” They said “Guess that depends on how much you want to finish school ... ” & the car stayed locked in their garage.

So; there I was, in all the late spring Colorado snowstorms, wobbling to the bus stop, in my 3rd trimester, on crutches, with a broken leg.

After about 1 week of that my attitude started to change. It was so hard; one of the hardest things I’ve ever done but it started to feel almost like … a dare & there was no way I had come that far to lose.

One thing I knew, for sure, was that if I didn’t graduate; I’d have to have a co-signer for every little thing for the rest of my life. I was just one or two missed classes away from being a 22 yr old single mom with 4 (almost) kids & a 9th grade education.

The day before graduation I started having contractions. At the hospital I told them “I don’t care if they are 5 minutes apart; give me some IV fluids & send me home; I’m graduating tomorrow!”

And it worked & so I did,. Right after the ceremony my parents handed me the car keys & said “Happy Graduation!” Less than 24 hrs later, baby #4 arrived (& did NOT have to be taken home on that d--- bus). That was 25 years ago; the first & last time I ever had to have a co-signer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting