Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 07:58 AM

324 posts, read 271,305 times

Advertisements

That's weird.... My DH has asthma and it's COLD in here! The humidity makes his asthma worse. I think you got a line of BS.

Honestly if they are renting rooms those rooms should have separate window units. I think they are just being cheap. And yes that IS information that needs to be in their listing. I know if I visit Houston I'd want a COOL place to go back to after wandering in the heat and humidity during the day...... and yes I lI've in TX....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 08:20 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Wrong. If I am a paying customer, They are taking MY MONEY. I am not a family or friend guest staying for free. I am the CUSTOMER. I am paying to stay there and it is my house while they have my money. If they don't want the temp at a reasonable level they should keep it their house and not take money to rent it out. They had the choice to rent it out.

And I will leave a review, but the problem is by the time I leave it it won't help me. They should have indicated the temperature restrictions on their listing. And usually no one has the guts to leave honest negative reviews because they feel bad after meeting and staying in someone's place.

The problem with air BB is there are no hard guidelines for things like this. So what if I just change the stat to the temp I want and we fight about it all day? I already paid to stay there. Can they kick me out and refund me?! There are no guidelines,
Then vote with your wallet and only stay at places where they give you free control over anything/everything while you stay there. It's quite simple.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:46 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
You only rented a room and therefore you do not get to control the AC. Yes, you're paying for your time there, but you paying for use of that room...not the whole house. Next time, rent a whole unit that you can control the AC/heat or bring a fan
This.

Wanting the temp set to below 70 at night is ridiculous for the low cost of staying an Airbnb. Even in a separate unit. Get a hotel, dude.

We stayed in an Airbnb in Phoenix that was a separate guest house that had locked the thermostat. We politely asked the owner to slightly adjust it to something more comfortable for us but reasonable for her. there was no problem..

Old 07-07-2017, 08:49 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Unicorn View Post
That's weird.... My DH has asthma and it's COLD in here! The humidity makes his asthma worse. I think you got a line of BS.
My husband's asthma is exacerbated by the cold. Even though we have humid summers here, the cold winters are always far worse for him. That being said, I wouldn't call 70 degrees a temperature to trigger a response from him, but everyone is different.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:02 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,945,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Then vote with your wallet and only stay at places where they give you free control over anything/everything while you stay there. It's quite simple.
Its actually not that simple.

1. I don't require or ask for control over everything.
2. having control over everything isn't something that is listed in the posting.
3. I want the temp at reasonable normal levels or this disclosed on the posting if it is not. I haven't asked for control over everything/anything.
4. I can't "vote with my wallet" if I am already staying there.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:04 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,945,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
This.

Wanting the temp set to below 70 at night is ridiculous for the low cost of staying an Airbnb. Even in a separate unit. Get a hotel, dude.

We stayed in an Airbnb in Phoenix that was a separate guest house that had locked the thermostat. We politely asked the owner to slightly adjust it to something more comfortable for us but reasonable for her. there was no problem..
I'm not asking for it to be below 70. Just below 78 AT NIGHT. I would be happy with 74.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:15 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Wrong. If I am a paying customer, They are taking MY MONEY. I am not a family or friend guest staying for free. I am the CUSTOMER. I am paying to stay there and it is my house while they have my money.
Um, no. It is not YOUR HOUSE. That is ridiculous.

You rented a room, not the whole house. You should take the good advice given here and stay in places where you have control of the thermostat.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:48 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Quote:

2. having control over everything isn't something that is listed in the posting.
3. I want the temp at reasonable normal levels or this disclosed on the posting if it is not. I haven't asked for control over everything/anything.
Ok then.

Complaining to a message board will surely solve your problems.

Better luck next time.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:03 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:

Out of curiosity, how much are you paying and how long are you staying?

Old 07-07-2017, 11:05 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
I'm not asking for it to be below 70. Just below 78 AT NIGHT. I would be happy with 74.
I seem to remember your original post wanted it below 70 at night. (and I suspect you've changed it.)

That said, have you simply considered politely asking the owner???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting