Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 09:08 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,702,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Turn?
I do believe they are referring to "troll". There, I said it.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:37 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Are we really supposed to believe that a maintenance man who is capable of fixing a faucet, does not know how to turn it off?

And who has an endless supply of hot water in an apartment?
I know, it does seem nuts.

However, anyone who keeps up with the world - or even this forum - knows there is nothing too nutty to be true. If one human can think it up - another human can also think it up and then do it.

That an apartment complex might hire a "maintenance" guy who doesn't know how to do maintenance doesn't seem like much of a stretch to me. Plenty of people are convinced that cheapest is best.

Old 07-15-2017, 02:16 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Are we really supposed to believe that a maintenance man who is capable of fixing a faucet, does not know how to turn it off?

And who has an endless supply of hot water in an apartment?
Story makes no sense... I've seen a lot over the years but no one is going to leave a stream of hot water run for days... even capping the shower head or one of the $4 shower head flow shutoffs would have been an quick work around.

It also requires some effort to snap a stem...

Call me skeptical.

Old 07-15-2017, 02:59 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
How many people take a shower with HOT water only??? This is obviously another troll post - I have no idea what kind of "thrill" or whatever people get out of posting asinine things.

Old 07-15-2017, 03:14 PM

691 posts, read 419,775 times
nothing about this is " thats just how it is" even if the maintenance guy knew nothing or was -too close to his off time to care-

the fix is less then 15 minutes of fiddling, a couple of hand tools ( pliers, screwdrivers) and MAYBE a couple of dollars ( literally less then 10) at walmart, homedepot ( some sort of handle) would have taken 3 days of running water to 3 hours. if your insisting that its not your problem cause you live in apt with maintenance then let it run ?

the maintenance guy isnt so stupid to 'not know how to' fix it any one can if they look at it long enough... he WAS lazy tho. But the victimized -someone else wont do it- wasn't correct either.

take pictures . fix it. complain about compensation if you would like.

Old 07-15-2017, 03:42 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickybobby123 View Post
I'm seeking compensation for the inconvenience of a broken shower handle that has caused alot of stress.
I was taking a shower and when I went to shut the shower off the handle snapped causing me not to.be able to turn the shower off. Keep in mind the water was on hot when I was turning it off. Me seeing it as a emergency I called maitnence immediately and they came and looked at it and said they couldn't get a new handle until Friday (it was Wednesday when they told me this). Basically the guy told me I have to keep the hot shower running for 3 days (not a very good idea as the steam and moisture can cause mold). I asked him how I was supposed to take a shower and the maintenance guy gave me a key to an empty unit in the complex across from mine to take a shower in. At this time I'm also having a problem with my central air unit that they over charged causing it to freeze up and when it shuts off it causes a condensation leak that leaves a big wet spot coming from my floor in my hallway. They also looked at the AC and told me to keep it off so they can look at it tomorrow because it was frozen. Now, getting to the point...I went to work and came back to my apartment damn near filled with steam especially in the bathroom the entire ceiling was moist in my whole apartment . And the moisture and condensation weakened the glue or paint that was holding the mirror up and it was shattered. There was some paint bubbling also in the bathroom too..my question is can I be compensated or take money off my rent?

Shower head in your shower needs to have the following disclaimer

Please do not hold on to the shower hot cold handle while you're masturbating.

Other than that the handke snapping off has nothing to do with the valve. You simply UNSCREW the handle and then turn the actual brass valve head with a pair of pliers to the OFF position. That will turn off the water.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:10 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
As for the hot water being on, the OP did explain that it was during the tuning off process when the handle snapped. Many shower handles rotate from off to temp, so it could have been at the hot end of the dial when the break occurred. However, it's still weird as most plumbing codes required for residential units to go from OFF to COLD to HOT. So, the most likely situation would be the water was getting colder as you turn it off, not hotter.

As for the repair person, that was one ignorant person. BUT, based on some of the things landlords have posted here about what they do or how to get out of the trouble they are in, I have no reason to doubt that the landlord was another cheapo slumlord.

Old 07-15-2017, 11:39 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
As for the hot water being on, the OP did explain that it was during the tuning off process when the handle snapped. Many shower handles rotate from off to temp, so it could have been at the hot end of the dial when the break occurred. However, it's still weird as most plumbing codes required for residential units to go from OFF to COLD to HOT. So, the most likely situation would be the water was getting colder as you turn it off, not hotter.

As for the repair person, that was one ignorant person. BUT, based on some of the things landlords have posted here about what they do or how to get out of the trouble they are in, I have no reason to doubt that the landlord was another cheapo slumlord.
I don't know one repairman who doesn't know the hot cold handle itself is simply held on to the actual hot cold valve by splines to turn the valve a center screw to hold the handkecto the actual valve.
And the repair man said just leave the water running? No way

Old 07-16-2017, 08:24 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
I do believe they are referring to "troll". There, I said it.

I'm telling!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting