Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2017, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 983 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone...please help. I live in a full basement and the owners live in Calgary they have rented before just a room in the home upstairs because they come to town on long weekends or their vacation...so basically the renters rent one bedroom in the ladlords part of the house and I rent the whole basement....this renter has constantly lied and i was being asked to take care of him by him after faking a heart attack. I went to work. Without checking on him and then got a load of nasty texst....come hime he proceeds to come out turn ther water off or turn my dryer off and then every time I go out to smoke he spits over and I mean every time I open my door...slams the doors tells me to go overdose to kill myself I have severe depression and ptsd....I can't handle thiis, ...cops won't come cause he isn't directly spitting in my face....he is allowed to make noise...the landlord wait a his hand are tied ....please help me....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 12:37 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
Leave?

Old 07-14-2017, 01:15 PM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times
Is this a legal apartment? I'd bet not. In any case, there is a simple solution: MOVE.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:14 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,033,682 times
Move and tell them to hire a home health aid if they need assistance.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:33 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,708,206 times
The LL's hands are not "tied". He has every right to do something about it IF he "wanted" to but obviously he doesn't want to and/or just won't do anything. So being that the LL is your only recourse, other than the police if he is doing something illegal, then unfortunately your only real option is to move if you can't tolerate it or co-exist.

Old 07-15-2017, 12:18 PM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
The LL's hands are not "tied".........
This is in Canada where the laws are very different than the USA and it is very difficult to get a tenant out. So, it is very possible that the landlord's hands are tied.

Old 07-15-2017, 12:44 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,708,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
This is in Canada where the laws are very different than the USA and it is very difficult to get a tenant out. So, it is very possible that the landlord's hands are tied.
And I never said that the LL had to specifically get the person out. I said that the LL can do something about the person acting out if they are bothering, disturbing, harassing others or causing undue damage, etc. They can talk to them, warn them, tell them to stop and they can also not offer them a lease renewal, if need be. And in some of these cases, even in Canada, the tenant can be evicted.

What reasons do landlords need to evict someone? | Your Legal Rights - Legal Information for People in Ontario

Old 07-17-2017, 08:54 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
Take an umbrella out when you smoke.

He sounds like an invalid. Ignore him. If he does worse things always call the police.

Or film him....and then take the film to the police because spitting on someone is considered assault, at least it is in the U.S.

When he turns off your water or anything, call the health department, or try calling the water department emergency number and report it. Again, I am in the U.S. but here it is illegal for a LL to turn off a renters water or utilities. I'll bet if authorities come out and confront the situation this man will get scared and stop the games.

You could also check with your local housing authorities and report this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting