Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2017, 08:34 AM

9 posts, read 11,283 times

Advertisements

I noticed a lot of people here have experience with renting/leasing so I thought I'd reach out.

I'd like to know how likely or unlikely it is that I will be rejected for an apartment, and what I can do to help my case.

I'm a 22 year old female, I was recently offered my first job and I need to relocate within 2 weeks. I have no criminal or eviction history. I have never rented before. I have a credit score of around 710. I have little to no debts to speak of. I make around 40k and the place I'm looking at is around 1,000 a month. I could have my mother co-sign for me but she makes much less than me, but she has a great credit score.

I toured and applied for a place yesterday but they did not ask for any character references. I was thinking of sending them a "thank you" email for giving me a wonderful tour and also suggest that I can provide character references. Would that be weird to do?

Last edited by Fayo; 07-19-2017 at 08:43 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 08:53 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,701,378 times
Everybody has to start somewhere like you are doing. So there are millions out there like you who are getting their first apts everyday who won't have rental references/history.

I don't think you are going to have any problem renting based on what you have stated. We would surely rent to you based on that information.

Just ask the places that you are interested in what their criteria is to rent before completing an application and specifically if they are charging you to submit an application.

Good luck!

Last edited by Corn-fused; 07-19-2017 at 09:32 AM..

Old 07-19-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Everybody has to start somewhere like you are doing. So there are millions out there like you who getting their first apts everyday.

I don't think you are going to have any problem renting based on what you have stated. We would surely rent to you based on that information.

Just ask the places that you are interested in what their criteria is to rent before completing an application and specifically if they are charging you to submit an application.

Good luck!
Thank you! I have already applied and paid the application fee. I have asked them for the criteria via email beforehand and they said they have no income requirement and only go by debt to income ratio. I guess I am nervous about not having any previous rental history, personal references ( because they asked for none ), and no co-signer.

Can I take steps to try and negotiate IF they do reject me? I really LOVE this apartment and want to ensure that I can get in. Also, do you think I should send a thank-you email or is that just annoying/too persistent?

Old 07-19-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayo View Post
Thank you! I have already applied and paid the application fee. I have asked them for the criteria via email beforehand and they said they have no income requirement and only go by debt to income ratio. I guess I am nervous about not having any previous rental history, personal references ( because they asked for none ), and no co-signer.

Can I take steps to try and negotiate IF they do reject me? I really LOVE this apartment and want to ensure that I can get in. Also, do you think I should send a thank-you email or is that just annoying/too persistent?
I would think (my opinion only) that if they do not have any income requirements that they must be rather lax on most of their criteria compared to the majority of places. I find that rather strange because I don't know how they would determine if you can even afford the rent if they have no income requirement.

As far as negotiating if rejected, I would cross that bridge when/if it happens because it would all depend on why they reject you. Post back if they do.

As far as sending a thank-you, sure. It is always good to let them know how interested you are and how much you like the place. Did you not do this when you submitted your application? Just sending the application lets them know that you are already interested so I am not so sure I would do it separately now. Maybe if you don't hear back from them by a certain date I might send a followup email letting them know you are still very interested and that you really liked the place and that you are anxiously looking forward to hearing back from them.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
I would think (my opinion only) that if they do not have any income requirements that they must be rather lax on most of their criteria compared to the majority of places. I find that rather strange because I don't know how they would determine if you can even afford the rent if they have no income requirement.

As far as negotiating if rejected, I would cross that bridge when/if it happens because it would all depend on why they reject you. Post back if they do.

As far as sending a thank-you, sure. It is always good to let them know how interested you are and how much you like the place. Did you not do this when you submitted your application? Just sending the application lets them know that you are already interested so I am not so sure I would do it separately now. Maybe if you don't hear back from them by a certain date I might send a followup email letting them know you are still very interested and that you really liked the place and that you are anxiously looking forward to hearing back from them.
Thank you so much for your feedback! It's all very insightful. I agree, their application seemed very relaxed compared to the others I have seen but I also know that this place is a very nice place with a lot of people interested, and not a lot of apartments to go around.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayo View Post
Thank you so much for your feedback! It's all very insightful. I agree, their application seemed very relaxed compared to the others I have seen but I also know that this place is a very nice place with a lot of people interested, and not a lot of apartments to go around.
If the bolded above is what you meant by being "rejected" then that is an absolute possibility if they don't end up with any apts left open for the date(s) you are looking for. That is always a risk at any place. There really isn't anything you can do about that as far as negotiating if that might be what you were asking.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:26 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,605,780 times
I agree with Corn-fused that it'll probably be fine.

If not, here's another suggestion: if you have a college or university in the area, look for "grad" student housing. Sometimes you can find a studio apartment or a room in a house (with upper level students, not freshman). Student landlords are used to renting to first-time renters and have somewhat different criteria than property managers of larger complexes.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I agree with Corn-fused that it'll probably be fine.

If not, here's another suggestion: if you have a college or university in the area, look for "grad" student housing. Sometimes you can find a studio apartment or a room in a house (with upper level students, not freshman). Student landlords are used to renting to first-time renters and have somewhat different criteria than property managers of larger complexes.
Thanks for the second opinion! I'm really trying to avoid any college-like arrangements as I'd like to start my adult life now. However, if need be, that is a good option.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:56 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
I think someone will take you.

I normally take young people with no rental reference with a cosigner, but the cosigner has to have sufficient income. You might try offering extra deposit.

I don't see anything obvious that would get you rejected except for the lack of rental references. Some landlords will work around that issue if everything else looks good.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:53 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,235,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I think someone will take you.

I normally take young people with no rental reference with a cosigner, but the cosigner has to have sufficient income. You might try offering extra deposit.

I don't see anything obvious that would get you rejected except for the lack of rental references. Some landlords will work around that issue if everything else looks good.
No work history and relocating for a first job. That job is unlikely to last, first jobs rarely do, and when that happens you are at a much higher chance of leaving the area back to wherever your parents are. That makes collecting money owed very difficult especially if we are talking out of state.

As a private LL I'd pass on you because the downside is too great but many apartment complexes would take you. A tip for students, get a job through the last year or two of college that way you have some work history. Working sucks so when you finally start working you will tend to job hop looking for a better environment before realizing that they all mostly suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting