Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 10:46 AM

17,308 posts, read 12,260,346 times

Advertisements

?

Don't confuse my stated "maintenance liability" with injury liability. And no, the lack of an automatic opener would not affect that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 10:52 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,457,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I'm amazed at some of the responses I've read. The reasons for not having one are absolutely incredible. Virtually every house built today will have a garage door opener if there is a garage. You can get a wifi ready opener installed for about $400. Why would anyone forgo the convenience of an opener? It's not like they'll break the bank. In 26 years I've replaced one opener, which I could have fixed myself, but I wanted a quieter belt drive one with wifi. And I get to push a button and drive right in. Same with my wife. I'm sure she wouldn't appreciate having to roll a door half a dozen times a day. It's like people who won't ever get an ice maker because it might break. In 26 years I had to fix one icemaker at a cost of $100. But I've had ice for 26 years without having to mess with icetrays.
But houses "built today" are typically owner occupied, not rentals, at least in my area. The only new construction built for tenants is apartment buildings. So people looking to rent a house with a yard typically must be willing to look at smallish 1940s-1980s houses, many of which have no garages, or have old ones without auto openers. Landlords may not be covering all their costs due to market rates of rents vs cost of the home, its maintenance and repair, taxes, etc. if so, there isn't money for some features that aren't essential.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:56 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
So there's no liability involved with a tenant opening, lifting, and closing a heavy garage door multiple times a day?

Don't confuse liability with maintenance costs.
No. If the door is in fine working order, and you hurt yourself lifting it, it's your problem. You want to be right on this, but if the rental house doesn't come with a garage door opener, it doesn't come with a garage door opener. No amount of rationalization can force an landlord to put one in for you.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:20 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
So there's no liability involved with a tenant opening, lifting, and closing a heavy garage door multiple times a day?
No more than you opening and closing the front door or falling in the shower or burning yourself on the stove.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:27 AM

2,495 posts, read 1,873,466 times
Quote:

Don't confuse liability with maintenance costs.
No more liability than if you opened your front door and hit yourself in the head with it. You're clutching at straws now.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:48 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
No more liability than if you opened your front door and hit yourself in the head with it. You're clutching at straws now.
Every personal injury attorney doesn't feel that way. Google it.

Old 08-02-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Did you? For a landlord to be held liable they must be negligent in maintaining property and the negligence must result in the injury.

Which would be yet another reason for a landlord not to install one. Should an opener's safety sensors fail and result in an injury they could be liable if they knew about but ignored the problem.
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...rance-faq.html

Old 08-02-2017, 12:34 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,629,860 times
Quote:
Yes, because personal injury lawyers aren't out there to make a buck. Many will take a case if they think they have even the slightest chance of winning. They're known to be the bottom feeders of attorneys. Good old ambulance chasers. Google it.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:07 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Yes, because personal injury lawyers aren't out there to make a buck. Many will take a case if they think they have even the slightest chance of winning. They're known to be the bottom feeders of attorneys. Good old ambulance chasers. Google it.
True but liability is liability. Going through all of this isn't worth it compared to a $300 gdo. LOL

Old 08-02-2017, 02:17 PM

The lack of a purely optional electric doo-dad does not increase liability. Though the opposite can be true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting