Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2017, 03:49 PM

48 posts, read 30,948 times

Advertisements

This weekend i saw an apartment in one of the largest cities in u.s. the resident was looking to re-let for six months. I felt I was rushed because the re-letter already moved out and was catching a flight out of town in a couple hours. he said if i wanted it i needed to hurry up and apply through the managements website.

He also stated he would pay 150 dollars a month for the rent and he typed up a contract stating if i sign the lease he would pay me for part of the lease. The contract i signed was only in regards to his payment to me upon signing a lease.

I was semi interested but once again in hindsight rushed so I want home real fast and made sure the management was legit and I applied for the apartment. I also signed the contract stating that if I sign the lease the sub lessor would pay me 860 dollars to supplement my rent.

Yesterday i decided this was a bad idea and I also decided apartment was to small, was not happy with some things about building.

So I called the management and told them to canel my application and I would not be signing lease they were fine with it. Then I sent a very nice letter to the sub lessor today that was apoliganic but explained i am no longer interested in apartment and would not be signing lease.

My question is since this person left the state this weekend and will likely be upset I changed my mind and did not sign lease with apartment management can he have any reason to claim we had a verbal and the contract i signed that if i signed the lease he would pay part of the rent can he use that to back up that i verbally showed interest and applied in small claims court and try to make me responsible.

Remember I never signed any lease. I felt rushed and as an applicant I changed my mind. I feel bad for the sub lessor but I had to make a decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 05:24 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,705,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgiven1sun View Post
My question is since this person left the state this weekend and will likely be upset I changed my mind and did not sign lease with apartment management can he have any reason to claim we had a verbal and the contract i signed that if i signed the lease he would pay part of the rent can he use that to back up that i verbally showed interest and applied in small claims court and try to make me responsible.

Remember I never signed any lease. I felt rushed and as an applicant I changed my mind. I feel bad for the sub lessor but I had to make a decision.
No, because any agreement was only IF you signed the lease (as you stated above) and you didn't sign a lease so where do you think he has any leg to stand on? And to take it even further, he is not the one that decides whether you can sign a lease or not so he is SOL in my opinion because you were still at the mercy of the mgmt co. to approve or not. And you withdrew your application (your words) so at this point no one even knows whether you would have qualified or not because no credit/background checks would have been run.

This is not legal advice, just my opinion. (no one here can give you actual legal advice).

Old 08-29-2017, 05:55 PM

I think I just feel bad for the guy plus paranoid maybe thinking irrationally / irrational fear or a what if if stranger threatened something for bring "screwed over" when in all actuality he should have had more than one applicant before leaving state.

Correct I signed no lease I did apply and when I called to cancel the agent said that is fine but you were approved they did not ask for any fee and I said thank your for your help.

Thank you for non legal advice

Old 08-30-2017, 07:36 PM

Can this person try to claim I caused them hardship because they may need to fly back and sub lease apartment?

I feel it is not my fault the sublessor did not wait until he had more applicants.

I just hope there is no way this person can say I am responsible for them having to spend more time looking for sub lessee

Old 08-30-2017, 08:02 PM

I do believe I already answered that question.

Can he be pissed about it? Sure he can. But so what? You never signed anything with anyone that you stated that you would guarantee that you would take the apt if you were accepted, did you? If not, then quit worrying about it. He can't do a thing except stomp his feet and have a hissy fit. Just don't respond to anything if he tries to contact you accept maybe "I decided not to take the apt because it ended up not working out for me after all so I withdrew my application". End of story. Done. You don't owe him anything else and then don't contact him ever again.

It's either that, based on everything you stated in this thread, OR we are not getting the full story here perhaps?

Contact an attorney if you need to for peace of mind.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:19 PM

Ok thank you will try to stop worrying I have anxiety so I get obsessed over things. The only thing I signed was the agreement he made that if I signed lease he would help with rent. Never signed lease called management cancelled application.

I think I was just worried that signing that agreement can be argued to show intent that I would rent.

I will try and take your advice and I am sure will be a distant memory soon.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgiven1sun View Post
I think I was just worried that signing that agreement can be argued to show intent that I would rent.
Yes, of course it was "intent" to rent or you would never have gotten this far in the game BUT, the agreement was ONLY IF you signed a lease, and you didn't.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:31 PM

I was reading about verbal leases and read they are binding but then after further research and I hope it's like that in my State a verbal agreement for a lease is only binding if money was exchanged or someone moved in.

For all I know the sub lessor may have moved on I am not even sure if he was under the impression we had any sort of verbal agreement . All I think was there on my end was interest in the apartment .

Old 08-30-2017, 08:33 PM

Corn fusedThank you for your opinion and time by the way ......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting