Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2017, 10:30 AM

3 posts, read 4,940 times

Advertisements

Just moved into a first floor apartment here in Austin. It's perfect for me except that there is a bank of 8 HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) units right outside my far living wall. That part of the building is brick, but every time multiple AC compressors run, there is a distinct vibration within my that wall and an audible buzz inside my living room. It's like a louder, less pleasant refrigerator hum. I haven't contacted management about it yet because I literally just moved in this week and don't want to complain right away. I don't know what they can do about it anyway. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what did you do to solve the issue? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 03:09 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
What can the landlord do about it? Well he can turn off heat and air conditioning to everyone's unit. If the heat pumps are turned off it will be quiet.

Other than that, nothing. Those units are pretty quiet judging by your description of the noise level.

Old 11-04-2017, 03:24 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,077 times
That is a downfall of living in multi-unit building. You will get used to it. Take it as a lesson- in the future you will know to avoid those types of units. The last time I rented an apartment, I was super picky. I knew from all of my past experiences what I did and didn't want. I had the person in the leasing office mark all of the available apartments on the map so I could see determine which met the most of my criteria as far as location. (Facing parking lot or not, proximity to parking lot, proximity to dumpsters, direction faced (N,S,E,W), etc...)

Old 11-04-2017, 04:57 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,343 times
I have actually had this problem before but for me it honest caught me off guard. I was actually on the top floor (4th) BUT my unit was on the corner facing a court yard and unfortunately for me that meant I got to hear all the ac units as all of them were in the courtyard (there was 30 some units in the building). So it made it impossible to sit outside and enjoy it in the warmer months the noise was just way too loud (the sound echoed off the walls as I was in the courtyard with the building literally surrounding the units on three sides). The only good thing for me was that when I closed my door and windows I couldn't hear the noise anymore because I was up so high. It was shame though because I literally couldn't sit outside and enjoy my porch because of the noise. I don't know how my first floor neighbors stood it. I don't know of anything either that will help you with the noise level. I hope you find a solution.

Old 11-11-2017, 11:01 AM

7,034 posts, read 6,287,208 times
My new apartment has ac units outside. It took me awhile to get used to them but I found I could tune out the noise after awhile.

You have to take the entire apartment into consideration & decide if it works for you. For me, the 2 bedrooms, inside washer & dryer & the layout of my apartment outweighed the noise. If it doesn't work for you, find something else once your lease is up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting