Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 04:16 PM

1 posts, read 8,012 times

Advertisements

my husband cannot manage the stairs anymore in our townhome due to being diagnosed with cancer,
I approached our landlord and she emphatically stated that she would not release us from the lease without penalty. Because we are retired, we cannot leave early and pay two places. How can people treat others this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 06:41 AM

1 posts, read 7,524 times
Default brealing a rental lease

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
A friend had a heart attack last month and is having difficulty climbing the steps in his two story townhouse. I suggested he find a single floor apartment. We went to the management and explained his situation. The manager said it is their policy to charge three months rent plus the loss of he security deposit in his case. I asked if they could provide another apartment as they own multiple rental properties and I was told they have no single floor apartments.
I read under the fair housing act that a landlord must provide a tenant with accomodations to suit their disabilities or release the tenant from the lease.
He is also on social security and has limited financial resourses. Does my friend need to hire and attorney? Comments appreciated.
We were offered a 1st floor apt but we also heard from one of the other tenants that there is black mold down there in theirs

Old 02-23-2011, 06:50 AM

9,299 posts, read 14,916,355 times
Most landlords will let you out of a lease if you find suitable replacement tenants. That's why there are leases- to protect both landlords and tenants.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:00 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carol lindberg View Post
We were offered a 1st floor apt but we also heard from one of the other tenants that there is black mold down there in theirs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Most landlords will let you out of a lease if you find suitable replacement tenants. That's why there are leases- to protect both landlords and tenants.
The thread you're responding to is two years old. Just saying!

Old 02-23-2011, 10:44 AM

912 posts, read 5,263,584 times
wow.. couple of horror stories on this thread. Some LLs really are diabolical.

And I let my best tenants ever, break lease early because his job transferred him out of state. And I only requested to keep his last month so I wouldn't be stuck with the empty apartment for a couple of months.

Maybe I'm just too nice???

Old 02-23-2011, 01:10 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitosBala View Post
wow.. couple of horror stories on this thread. Some LLs really are diabolical.

And I let my best tenants ever, break lease early because his job transferred him out of state. And I only requested to keep his last month so I wouldn't be stuck with the empty apartment for a couple of months.

Maybe I'm just too nice???
Yes, you're nice but I don't think you're TOO nice. I've been in both sets of shoes both as LL and tenant. I was always a good LL but can relate some "horror stories" where tenants are concerned. Likewise, as a tenant, I've have some very bad landlords so tend to put things into perspective knowing that there are good and bad in both arenas. Most posters come to this forum because they have dilemmas and I agree that some of the stories on both sides are horrendous. But people don't contribute to forums such as these to relate warm and fuzzy tales about their great tenants and great LLs!

One of the biggest mistakes that LLs seem to make is not checking on their prospective tenants and not putting together proper leases. One of the biggest mistakes that tenants make is not reading the lease and blindly signing on the dotted line without understanding what they're entering into.

But this forum is an excellent learning tool for both tenants and landlords and I've certainly learned a lot from it. Cheers, and may your present LL situation continue on smoothly!

Old 12-28-2011, 04:56 PM

1 posts, read 7,188 times
my father has had serious medical problems and for approx a year now he hasn't been able to live in his apartment because of nurseing homes and hospitals. This last surgery, he came to live with me from a.z. because he is all alone in a.z. and the medical problem keeps re infecting him (staph)! he is wanting to get an aprtment in wi to be around family during this hard time but still has the lease till june on the apt. in az! can he get out of that lease because of the circumstances??? hes forking our $800 per month and hasnt lived ther in almost a year! he only has a small pension and will not be able to go back to work.
what are our options???

Old 12-28-2011, 05:27 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,087,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmeyer View Post
my father has had serious medical problems and for approx a year now he hasn't been able to live in his apartment because of nurseing homes and hospitals. This last surgery, he came to live with me from a.z. because he is all alone in a.z. and the medical problem keeps re infecting him (staph)! he is wanting to get an aprtment in wi to be around family during this hard time but still has the lease till june on the apt. in az! can he get out of that lease because of the circumstances??? hes forking our $800 per month and hasnt lived ther in almost a year! he only has a small pension and will not be able to go back to work.
what are our options???
Did he sign a new one year lease? If not then the lease has probably reverted to a month to month lease, in which case in most states he can terminate it with a 30 notice.

Read the lease, does it say anything about early termination? If not typically he could give 30 day notice that he is terminating the lease. In AZ the landlord is obligated to try to find a new tenant, but the tenant is liable for the rent until they do and may be liable for an early termination fee.

Read what your state laws say here: Arizona Landlord Tenant Law

See the Tenant's Right handbook Part 6 and 7 (moving out early) here Arizona Residential Landlord and Tenant Act

Old 12-28-2011, 06:23 PM

27,215 posts, read 46,772,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alialex2 View Post
my husband cannot manage the stairs anymore in our townhome due to being diagnosed with cancer,
I approached our landlord and she emphatically stated that she would not release us from the lease without penalty. Because we are retired, we cannot leave early and pay two places. How can people treat others this way?
What position are you in to judge the LL? Do you know anything about the LL personal bills?

WHen you break the lease the LL has to paint, etc. to make the place ready again in a short time frame after having done this before...that is additional money to the LL as well as down time...

Don't judge others because you want out and believe you have a hardship, which might be the case. The LL is already working with you since the LL is not letting you pay for the remainder of the lease. You could easily try to get the LL a new tenant and than ask not to pay all these months since there is a replacement. That sounds more reasonable than bashing the LL, which says enough about the kind of person you are....just interested in your own issues...life is not just about you and a contract involves 2 parties and you signed as well as the LL.

What if the LL would tell you, bye bye I have a health issue and want you out to sell and pay for my bills, how would you feel if it was in the middle of your lease..?

Old 12-28-2011, 08:44 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,063,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
What position are you in to judge the LL? Do you know anything about the LL personal bills?

WHen you break the lease the LL has to paint, etc. to make the place ready again in a short time frame after having done this before...that is additional money to the LL as well as down time...

Don't judge others because you want out and believe you have a hardship, which might be the case. The LL is already working with you since the LL is not letting you pay for the remainder of the lease. You could easily try to get the LL a new tenant and than ask not to pay all these months since there is a replacement. That sounds more reasonable than bashing the LL, which says enough about the kind of person you are....just interested in your own issues...life is not just about you and a contract involves 2 parties and you signed as well as the LL.

What if the LL would tell you, bye bye I have a health issue and want you out to sell and pay for my bills, how would you feel if it was in the middle of your lease..?
Her post was from 2008.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting