Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 03:11 PM

106,723 posts, read 108,913,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomelessLoser View Post
Yes but what is it about rent-stabilization per se that somehow prevents acceptance??

Well, yes, bad credit -- I agree it doesn't look like great odds in theory, but thankfully I've found someone who'll take me despite it all!

Basically, as I was saying in another forum, I utilized the "ethnic press"...a lot of immigrants are much more lax about such things (for various reasons) and I was perusing sites like bazarynka-dot-com and had ethnic acquaintances scan newspaper classifieds for me....
rent stabilization will not allow it , whether you ask the tenant for multiple months or he wants to give it you on his own . landlords can pressure tenants for multiple months if it was allowed . so it is a moot point and neither side can do it .

many states have it in state law that a landlord can not accept multiple months rent up front. anything over say 2 months has to be considered a security deposit . . , but then have state laws limiting how many months of security you can ask for . i think california has laws like that .

Civil Code section 1950.5 imposes limits on security deposits. A landlord may not demand or receive security, however denominated, in an amount or value in excess of an amount equal to two months' rent, in the case of unfurnished residential property, and an amount equal to three months' rent, in the case of furnished residential property, in addition to any rent for the first month paid on or before initial occupancy. (Civ, Code, sect. 1950.5, sub. (c).)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 03:13 PM

881 posts, read 616,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Curious enough to read the NYC Rent Stabilization Code?

Here it is:

Rent Stabilization Code

Look at Section 2525.4
THANKS!!

No indication in the language (though I had no reason to expect any) why this is such big deal as to be prohibited...what abuse was the stipulation designed to prevent?

Old 12-19-2017, 03:15 PM

881 posts, read 616,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
rent stabilization will not allow it , whether you ask the tenant for multiple months or he wants to give it you on his own . landlords can pressure tenants for multiple months if it was allowed . so it is a moot point and neither side can do it .
I'm sorry to be so dense here, but what would be the problem with landlords wanting multiple months -- if it was stated upfront?

What, would all landlords suddenly start doing this? How would such a practice harm the aims of rent-stabilization...?

Old 12-19-2017, 03:18 PM

it is the law . they do not want it . read the california state law i posted above . in nyc it is a rent stabilization law . you cannot demand or accept more than first month's rent and 1 month security on any stabilized apartment . why ? because it is the law .

Old 12-19-2017, 04:10 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,916,630 times
so people are willing to pay up front their lease, and yet their is a law preventing that? I am confuse here.. and whats the reason of first month, Last month? + security deposit? Last month? whats that about. So if i move in, in jan. I have to give you Jan rent/security and feb Rent as well? then turn around pay you rent again on the feb? Sorry, just cant get over the first/last and deposit spill greed..

Old 12-19-2017, 04:45 PM

most tenants tend to use their security as last month's rent and leave the landlord holding nothing .

so by getting first , last month and security you alleviate the problem .

by allowing landlords to accept more than the month or two they open the door for landlords to ask for more up front than many renters can come up with . landlords can pressure perspective tenants too , demanding more months up front to get the apartment . rent stabilized apartments that are available are in short supply here. landlords can set the terms . laws protect the tenants from these demands being possible .

Old 12-19-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
most tenants tend to use their security as last month's rent and leave the landlord holding nothing .

so by getting first , last month and security you alleviate the problem .

by allowing landlords to accept more than the month or two they open the door for landlords to ask for more up front than many renters can come up with . landlords can pressure perspective tenants too , demanding more months up front to get the apartment . rent stabilized apartments that are available are in short supply here

holding nothing is the plan? I mean you give the deposit back if they meet your terms? then again i meet a few LL terms and never gotten a full refund. So whats the risk of a person leaving at the last month if they are on month to month.. If they are a lease, 6 months and people pay that up front is a choice not a demand. So i can see why the law prevents you from "demanding" more from a tenant, but shouldn't be a block of the renter is willing to pay it up front.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:20 PM

you are not following .

most tenants never give you the last months rent . they don't pay it so your forced to use their security . then when they move if there are damages you got nothing !

so on my non stabilized units i get last months rent and security so i am holding something .

there is a thin line between a tenant having to pay multiple months up front and wanting to pay multiple months up front so that is why it is not legal .

if i was unscrupulous i could force anyone who wants a stabilized apartment to give me many months up front whether they wanted to or not . if they didn't they don't get the apartment .

getting a stabilized apartment in nyc especially one that is still under market is like gold . the laws prevent both sides from doing it .

unless there is an apartment shortage then a landlord asking for multiple months on a non stabilized apartment would have the tenant just going elsewhere . but with stabilized there is big demand

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-19-2017 at 05:36 PM..

Old 12-19-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
you are not following .

most tenants never give you the last months rent . they don't pay it so your forced to use their security . then when they move if there are damages you got nothing !

so on my non stabilized units i get last months rent and security so i am holding something .

there is a thin line between a tenant having to pay multiple months up front and wanting to pay multiple months up front so that is why it is not legal .

if i was unscrupulous i could force anyone who wants a stabilized apartment to give me many months up front whether they wanted to or not . if they didn't they don't get the apartment .

getting a stabilized apartment in nyc especially one that is still under market is like gold . the laws prevent both sides from doing it .

unless there is an apartment shortage then a landlord asking for multiple months on a non stabilized apartment would have the tenant just going elsewhere . but with stabilized there is big demand
I get it for first and security. .But if i am on month to month.. I move in jan pay you jan rent.. So comes feb. I pay you Feb rent and i find a better place. So i will move, so again why would i need to pay for March rent when im in the start of feb and gave notice to be out by march 1.. So why should i have to pay for March rent?

Old 12-19-2017, 05:47 PM

it has nothing to do wih march . they will give you january but never pay feb knowing they are leaving . they would just never give it to you and force you to apply the security your holding to feb . then they move and you don't have a dime in security for any issues . to many tenants do not pay the rent for their final month there .

you could start eviction proceedings for non payment of feb but by the time it hits the courts they are long gone .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting