Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 03:26 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
My last rental (thank God I finally bought a house) was owned by out of the country investors. When something broke I got a used low end replacement like the dishwasher, washer, dryer, etc. The management company wants to look good to the investors so they go as cheap as possible. The carpet was horrible also, the cheapest you could possibly find with a pad underneath that was probably 1/4 inch.

Many landlords seem to have the opinion that renters don't care about the place they are renting unless it is in the high price range so they do as little as they can get away with which always annoyed me as I take excellent care of anyplace I am living.
Actually, the property managers may have been annoyed by the owners as well. I know for some of the out of country investors we manage for, we contact them and say, "we need to replace the dishwasher, it will cost $400", and they come back and say "get it done for $300". Or "the house needs new carpet, we buy this really good carpet and pad in bulk and get a really good deal, so we can do it for $13/yd, carpet and pad, plus install", and they come back with "I don't want to pay that much, get cheaper carpet or pad, I want to stay under $10/yd", and because we aren't buying it in bulk, we have to go a LOT cheaper to meet that.

We usually don't end up managing for those people very long either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 09:53 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Why try to be cheap when resolving the issue because the only thing that will happen is the tenant will call back stating the issue is still not resolved. I called about a heating issue on 11/9 and I guess they tried to avoid spending money to resolve the problem and now the same problem comes back on 12/20. Why not just spend the money needed to resolve the issue so the tenant won't have to keep calling about the same issue? Sometimes things needs to be replaced and not patched up so the problem can be resolved.
I tend to have the fix it and I dint want issues so I tend to do more of a full repair rather than a quick patch. But in some cases I’m going to do a basic repair. But it depends on the needed repair. A 10,000 dollar ac replacement? I’m gonna try for a repair first.
A leaking faucet? I’m gonna replace the whole thing.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:08 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I tend to have the fix it and I dint want issues so I tend to do more of a full repair rather than a quick patch. But in some cases I’m going to do a basic repair. But it depends on the needed repair. A 10,000 dollar ac replacement? I’m gonna try for a repair first.
A leaking faucet? I’m gonna replace the whole thing.
This.

My AC goes wonky 2-3 times every summer....it's a quick and easy fix and we aren't bothered too much by it, however the AC guy keeps trying to talk my landlord into a new unit ( at a tune of 10k) and she refuses and I agree with her. Why shell out 10k for a brand new unit when she can spend $400 a YEAR in repairs?

She just replaced my kitchen faucet and garbage disposal a few months back..again, easy to fix, but just as cheap to replace.

We live in Florida and we're used to AC issues in the hot as hell summer.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:32 PM
ptt

497 posts, read 637,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Why try to be cheap when resolving the issue because the only thing that will happen is the tenant will call back stating the issue is still not resolved. I called about a heating issue on 11/9 and I guess they tried to avoid spending money to resolve the problem and now the same problem comes back on 12/20. Why not just spend the money needed to resolve the issue so the tenant won't have to keep calling about the same issue? Sometimes things needs to be replaced and not patched up so the problem can be resolved.
That what happened to one of my apartment. Why didn’t i change the HVAC system rigth away but keep fixing it? Because I don’t have $15,000 to pay for the new system just yet. That is almost a year worth of rent. We did changed it eventually but it took a while.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:02 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Honestly, when I rent a place, usually it is a dumpy place, the management is mediocre-quality at best.

Need something fixed, probably not going to happen any time soon, if ever. So, I fix just about everything myself, bypassing the headache.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:44 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,190,478 times
The apartments I've rented in the past were usually on the lower end, but usually in relatively nice areas. I once replaced the vinyl tiles myself in bathroom after getting OK from the apartment complex. They had been there numerous times to "glue" the old ones down. Towards the end of our 6 years there they were "upgrading the apartments by cutting a hole in wall between kitchen and living room to make a pass through. Also replacing the totally ugly and worn poop colored carpet with the worst choice imaginable, a light pink crappy carpet, like that's going to wear well and hide stains and dirt, at least the ugly brown did that. But they were the cheapest rent in the area.

Last edited by Izzie1213; 12-28-2017 at 08:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting