Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2018, 08:28 PM

2 posts, read 1,100 times

Advertisements

The owners of our house recently parted ways with our old property manager, (who was great, she sent people to fix things when they were broken!), and hired a new one. The new manager has not sent over a new lease for us to sign yet as there is some delay in reaching the owners but he wants us to send a cashiers check for this month’s rent ASAP. I just found this out today after him telling us to wait to pay Feb rent until the new lease was finished and the online payment account was set up. I don’t want to start out on a bad foot with the new manager, but I am uncomfortable giving him a cashier’s check written to his business without an addendum to the lease/new lease showing him as the property manager. Am I being paranoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 08:32 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,908,150 times
Don't you already have a lease? If you do and it has time left on it you don't have to sign a new one until it expires. At least not unless a new lease would be more favorable to you than the old one.

Bottom line, though, is you are still obligated to pay your rent on the rent due date even without a lease.

Make it out to the homeowner. You can't go wrong doing that.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:44 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Don't you already have a lease? If you do and it has time left on it you don't have to sign a new one until it expires. At least not unless a new lease would be more favorable to you than the old one.

Bottom line, though, is you are still obligated to pay your rent on the rent due date even without a lease.

Make it out to the homeowner. You can't go wrong doing that.
Totally agree. My long-distance LL recently severed ties with her local property manager and announced I could start giving my rent checks to her son, who is a sweet-tempered flake and hardly ever around. Nope, not doing that.

I send it electronically directly to her via Zelle. Which works for us.

I don't think you are being too paranoid. There are horror stories out there. Unless the property owner notified you of who to give your rent check to, I would send your rent directly to the property owner.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:44 PM

2 posts, read 1,100 times
Yes, we still have a year left on our lease but the manager said we need a new lease because of the management change. I have been asking to pay rent since the 1st and the new manager kept putting me off. The other issue is that the person that is supposed to be authorizing the transfer between managers is not the person on record as the owner per title. I think it’s a relative that lives here in the US. The owners are all foreign and I do not have away to contact them.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:48 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
If you don't have a new lease and haven't been officially notified of where to start sending your check, by the owner, or by your previous manager at least, you should do what your lease that's currently in effect says to do. What I'd do, is send your check via priority mail with tracking to wherever you've been sending it.

You don't have to sign a new lease, by the way, if your current one is still in effect.

I don't think you're being paranoid. Cover your rear first. And know that you are not required to sign a new lease.

You have a contract that is between you and the owner - via his then-agent. The agent can change, but the lease can't be changed unless both parties agree to it.

So, if you don't feel like signing a new one, you don't have to. Your current lease probably has some clause that says that the payment method can change with 30 days notice or something like that. But, the rest of the terms stay in place.

Know that, and if you're willing to look at a new lease, know that you have the power to say no to anything in it you don't like, and you don't have to agree to a different termination date, etc. You don't have to just sign it. And you sure don't have to wait to pay some new agent, because he doesn't want you to pay the last guy until he gets his own contract completed with the owner.

Don't put yourself in a position to get an eviction notice and don't trust him, is my advice. You can always play kind of dumb and not be confrontational. "I'm sorry, I was just getting worried about not paying my rent on time, and I was advised to do it that way. This way I at least have proof of trying to pay my rent....."

Old 02-06-2018, 09:00 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Woops, we were posting at the same time. I would keep sending payments the way you always have. You have a contract, so just tell anybody trying to get you to do something differently, that you have a contract and you're going to do what it says until they give you documents that you can show your lawyer. Then, wait and see if they actually give you anything that looks official. Then, I'd run it by a lawyer, if it seems weird.

And I wouldn't sign a new contract. There is no need to. Your contract is good for one year. If they legitimately want you to send your payments somewhere else, that's all they need to notify you of. No need for a new contract. Just say no, unless the new contract gives you more than you have now.

Landlords try to get tenants to sign new contracts or amendments to contracts when the tenant isn't really required to do so. I live in subsidized senior housing and the management recently gave all tenants a notice of eviction - saying we'd be evicted if we didn't sign a new amendment to our contracts within 30 days. Totally bogus. Scared the stuffing out of a bunch of seniors who were lined up to hurry and turn in the signed amendments. I told them I liked my contract just fine, thank you and I would not be signing it, but I would be forwarding it to the Housing Authority, since they require notice of any eviction notices. Yeah, they backed down. But, it's annoying how landlords or managers try to trick tenants into signing things they don't have to sign. Makes me mad.

Just know you are the one with the power to just say no, here, at least as far as signing a new contract. And as far as where you send your check until you get something official.

Don't know where you live, but some cities and states have courts where your rent can go into a trust type fund until things like this get sorted out. Maybe you could check to see if there's a tenant union or contact a fair housing office, where you can maybe get some free help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting