Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2018, 09:36 PM

3 posts, read 2,020 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm young and looking to rent my first apartment. I want to move somewhere in Florida and start a life for myself there.

I don't really know where to look. I've searched on craigslist google but ads were confusing and difficult to understand.

I'm looking for the most basic and simplest studio I can find, hopefully for under $700 a month. Where are good places to look? The biggest obstacle is I don't have a job in the area so I'm not sure if they even would rent to me. I do have some savings where I'd be able to put down a large security deposit or even pay for some time in advance and my credit score is great if that would help though.
Of course I would need to start looking for work shortly after I get settled in though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 10:13 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,638,096 times
You need to have proof of employment to rent an apartment.

You might want to look at renting a room or an in law suite in a residential home until you get a job. But without a job, even that won't be easy.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:15 PM

3 posts, read 2,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
You need to have proof of employment to rent an apartment.

You might want to look at renting a room or an in law suite in a residential home until you get a job. But without a job, even that won't be easy.
It's tricky though because I don't know how I'd get a job in the area before already living there. What if I offered to pay a larger security deposit or even 6 months in advance? I have a great credit score too if that helps.

Old 02-17-2018, 04:59 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dungeonhunter23 View Post
I want to move somewhere in Florida and start a life for myself there.
Tighten that up to read "Got a great new job in town X! Go me!"

Quote:
I don't really know where to look.
You look near that great new job.

Quote:
The biggest obstacle is I don't have a job in the area so...
So you need to remedy that first. Right?
Whatever else is going on you need to earn enough to afford it.

Do you have any skills? Useful skills?
Do you know of any place where they are NEEDED?
Go there.

Quote:
I'm not sure if they even would rent to me.
Without a job and no ties to the town? Only an idiot or schemer would rent to you.
Avoid Landlords who are idiots or schemers.

Quote:
I do have some savings...
That's a start.
---

How to move to some new town on cheap money and without real skills:

Phase One: Pick a town. Get yourself there. Rent an extended stay motel room for a week (or two).
Find a job the first week. ANY job whatsoever.

Once you have this get by job... look for a SHARE (housemate) situation nearby.
Don't agree to pay more in rent than what the NET PAY of that get by job provides for.
Settle in a bit. Catch your breath. Replenish your savings. Make some friends.

Phase 2: NOW you can start looking for a better job of some sort.
Well, assuming you have any useful skills.

Once you land some better job THEN you can start exploring moving to a bigger/nicer
apartment or a place of your own or just another share situation close to the new job.
Again... don't pay more in MONTHLY rent/utilities than what the WEEKLY net pay allows for.

hth

Old 02-17-2018, 07:19 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
Find someone looking for a roommate.

My first apartments were while I was a student. I rented dumps in slums from small-time LLs together with other students. No cosigners. Never reneged on the rent. Groups like this are always looking for a roommate. So are down and out hipster marginal druggy tattoed pierced types.

Then I started renting 3rd floor apartments of old Victorians from homeowners. Again, no cosigner, even though I was a student.

Finally rented small apartments from small time LLs when I was making about 35K, about 25 yrs ago.

After that, we owned. So I never dealt with a big time LL with management company.

I would advise you to look on Craigslist for a roommate wanted situation, don't sign a lease. Move with as little stuff as possible - no furniture, just you and your car and bare necessities. Sleep on a blow up mattress. Find a job. Establish a track record. Then you can rent whatever you want, with your paychecks and good credit record, and furnish it.

As a LL, I will NOT rent to someone who has money but no job, because I figure that in my rental market (class C slum town), they have money from a slip and fall lawsuit (and I'm usually right), they will burn through it really fast, and they won't have anything to pay me with soon. Plus, they'll probably then do a slip and fall and sue ME. Thank goodness for court records online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting