Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 06:58 PM

8 posts, read 4,727 times

Advertisements

I’ve lived in the same apartment complex in NY (not NYC) for 20 years, most of which have been great except for the past few due to a change in the property management. The current management has neglected the property and needed repairs, some safety related, and have been taking advantage of tenants by coercing them into signing lease addendums which result in additional fees and liability (and threatening them if they don’t sign them) in the middle of lease terms amongst other things. I personally had to call the police and file a complaint with the town regarding a safety issue with my apartment that I reported and they refused to repair. Based on the cops advice, I informed the management that they had 30 days to perform the repair or I would hire a professional to do it and deduct it from the rent. The police were appalled at what they saw. The response was a threat of eviction proceedings from the property management if I hire someone to perform the repair.

Needless to say, I was exercising my right as a tenant, and they didn’t like it. As payback, I just received a 30 days notice to vacate as they won’t be renewing my lease.

I have been a good tenant, always paid on time, never caused problems or had complaints about me, so it’s clear what this is about. I spoke to a few attorneys who advised me on my rights and the pros and cons of fighting this, and I decided not to fight it and just move. I have found a new apartment and paid for the background check and am just awaiting the results.

I have heard horror stories from the former supers who used to work for these people and left due to how they themselves were treated and how they saw other tenants treated. I am concerned as to what impact the landlord can have on my ability to rent a new apartment since it’s clear this is a personal attack and not based on anything other than my reporting them for issues I repeatedly complained about that they refused to address.

What kind of questions do corporate apartment complexes typically ask on background checks, and what is my recourse if my current landlord utilizes the background check into screwing me over? Based on what the last super told me, I fully expect this to happen.

I’m trying to move into a Greystar community, and tomorrow will be the 4th day since I applied for the apartment and paid for the background check. I haven’t heard anything yet so this is making me nervous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 09:08 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,780,482 times
If the LL wants you to leave, they won't say anything negative about you, because they want you to move out, and they know you need to find a new place to be able to do that.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:41 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
If you don't get the new apartment, you could always just have your attorney write the LL a letter regarding slander or libel, basically threatening to sue if he lies about you, etc.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:24 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRenter516 View Post
I’ve lived in the same apartment complex in NY (not NYC) for 20 years...
This is all they'll need to know.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:29 AM

497 posts, read 422,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
If you don't get the new apartment, you could always just have your attorney write the LL a letter regarding slander or libel, basically threatening to sue if he lies about you, etc.
I really like this advice.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:34 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
I think it is a good thing you are getting out of your old apartment. Wait it out because I think there is a very good chance that the old landlord wants you out so they won't give you a bad reference.

If your town isn't huge, a lot of the local landlords know that the bad landlord is a bad landlord.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:29 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
If the LL wants you to leave, they won't say anything negative about you, because they want you to move out, and they know you need to find a new place to be able to do that.
No, they do not necessarily care if you find a place or not, you can't stay somewhere just because you don't find another place to move to.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:50 AM

That is my concern. I don’t think this is about them wanting me out, I think it’s about them wanting to turn the screws on me and do whatever they can to get even for my going to the town on them. I was told by multiple supers who left about how abusive the property managers are and have a thing against men and like to show them who’s boss, so my fear is that this is that scenario being played out on me. I don’t think they care if I find a new place, I think they just want to screw me as they have threatened multiple times in writing that they will start eviction proceedings if I’m not out of the apartment.

Another concern is that they are going to try and screw me on the security deposit, as multiple, residents have told me they were when they left. I’m going to video tape and take pictures when I leave for sure.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:09 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRenter516 View Post
That is my concern. I don’t think this is about them wanting me out...
I'm not getting on the Peyton Place or paranoia train ride, but...
I'd fault your 20 year residency as the core reason for whatever you feel or maybe is going on.

It's time to go. reading LINK

Old 03-15-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I'm not getting on the Peyton Place or paranoia train ride, but...
I'd fault your 20 year residency as the core reason for whatever you feel or maybe is going on.

It's time to go. reading LINK
Interesting read. I’m not a hoarder, have no pets, and have even repainted the place (carefully) every few years, and even shampoo the carpets myself. My place is immaculate, I take great pride in it. But maybe they just have an issue with long term tenants. I had a discussion with a neighbor who said she found out they’re doing this to a few tenants, but no reason why. I do know they are updating each apartment as people move out with new floors, appliances, counters, etc... so I’m wondering if they just want me out to do that and rent the place at a higher rent... but their approach, strongly worded letter, and refusal to work with with me tells me it’s personal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting