Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 07:29 AM

28,965 posts, read 30,316,545 times

Advertisements

You never really think about this until you've experienced it, but the time for double sinks in the kitchen are outdated and a real waste of money. You can't soak any 9 x 13" dish or bigger pans in them, they are not wide enough, and yet, when building new homes, they use them...why? Cheaper? Why not put in a long sink?

Same with bathrooms, the short toilets and high bathtubs are outdated. Put in a high toilet and a shower with just a short step over....old, outdated, ugly and no longer really functional. they've outlived their time...

Last edited by cremebrulee; 07-27-2018 at 07:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 07:57 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,063,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
You never really think about this until you've experienced it, but the time for double sinks in the kitchen are outdated and a real waste of money. You can't soak any 9 x 13" dish or bigger pans in them, they are not wide enough, and yet, when building new homes, they use them...why? Cheaper? Why not put in a long sink?

Same with bathrooms, the short toilets and high bathtubs are outdated. Put in a high toilet and a shower with just a short step over....old, outdated, ugly and no longer really functional.
Thank you.

I tried to have a large single sink put in when I got new kitchen countertops, even had the sink available with a template for the cutout. I gave the template to the contractor, explaining that the sink was a special order, but for some reason he refused to use it—he told me he knew how to do a cutout.

Of course he did a standard cutout and the sink didn’t fit. I gave up and just had a two basin sink put in. It doesn’t look bad, of course, but I wanted the single basin for the reasons you mentioned.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:03 AM

[quote]
Quote:
Gusano Thank you.

I tried to have a large single sink put in when I got new kitchen countertops, even had the sink available with a template for the cutout. I gave the template to the contractor, explaining that the sink was a special order, but for some reason he refused to use it—he told me he knew how to do a cutout.
this doesn't make sense, if he was putting in new counter tops, why wouldn't he be able to put in a sink like a farm sink, or an over the counter wider sink, instead of a double. Apparently he didn't know how? Unless it was standard and he didn't want to put in any thing else.? gosh, if your spending all that money, you'd think he would have complied.

Quote:
Of course he did a standard cutout and the sink didn’t fit. I gave up and just had a two basin sink put in. It doesn’t look bad, of course, but I wanted the single basin for the reasons you mentioned.
yeah, they are useless, and more woman and men need to point this factor out to the builders...it's time for a change, the old double sinks are just useless....along with the high tubs you need to step over. Wow, it's time they put in the floor type showers, with the glass surrounds...I have one in my master bath, but they put the older high tube in the guest bath, and I hate them, along with the lower toilets....they are all outdated and have lost their ability to comply with our needs today.

I'm so sorry your contractor did that....

Old 07-27-2018, 08:11 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,063,819 times
[quote=cremebrulee;52624239]
Quote:

this doesn't make sense, if he was putting in new counter tops, why wouldn't he be able to put in a sink like a farm sink, or an over the counter wider sink, instead of a double. Apparently he didn't know how? Unless it was standard and he didn't want to put in any thing else.? gosh, if your spending all that money, you'd think he would have complied.

yeah, they are useless, and more woman and men need to point this factor out to the builders...it's time for a change, the old double sinks are just useless....along with the high tubs you need to step over. Wow, it's time they put in the floor type showers, with the glass surrounds...I have one in my master bath, but they put the older high tube in the guest bath, and I hate them, along with the lower toilets....they are all outdated and have lost their ability to comply with our needs today.

I'm so sorry your contractor did that....
I think the contractor was a little inept, to put it mildly. A long story, but there were several screwups that took a while to get resolved. Eventually worked out fairly well except I am stuck with the double basin. Lesson for me is not to go through a big box company and that I need to hire contractor directly.

I wish developers would implement your suggestions!

Old 07-27-2018, 08:14 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,786,137 times
Quote:

Same with bathrooms, the short toilets and high bathtubs are outdated. Put in a high toilet and a shower with just a short step over....old, outdated, ugly and no longer really functional. they've outlived their time...
I prefer the double sink, especially if you don't have a dishwasher. With a double sink you can put the dirty dishes on one side and wash them in the other.

My bathtub is not high. It's just over a foot high. I prefer a tub because a tub can be used as a tub or you can use it as a shower.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:21 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,502,750 times
They need to keep tubs so kids can take baths

Old 07-27-2018, 08:28 AM

[quote=Gusano;52624325]
Quote:

I think the contractor was a little inept, to put it mildly. A long story, but there were several screwups that took a while to get resolved. Eventually worked out fairly well except I am stuck with the double basin. Lesson for me is not to go through a big box company and that I need to hire contractor directly.

I wish developers would implement your suggestions!
maybe your in luck, b/c you might be able to have a new single sink installed....they make them all sizes, just have a plumber come in and measure the sink already in there, length, width and depth of the sink...it might be a standard opening, b/c they make sinks all sizes now...so? Might be worth it to you....

yeah, woman need to start speaking up about these things...after all, we use them....you can tell men design these things...same with the old high top tubs...put in a shower floor, and a wrap around glass, so much easier to get in and out, and same with the toilets. I notice at work, we've got ladies rooms all over our buildings, and in each of those rooms is one handicapped stall....everyone will go for that stall first, even the young girls, who do not have any problems (i.e. joint pain and stiffness)...why, b/c the toilet is higher, it's more comfortable.

Its time to make changes, and it's time for woman to start speaking up....

Old 07-27-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
They need to keep tubs so kids can take baths
Most newer bathrooms have tubs, in them...those garden tubes...

What is wrong with kids learning how to take showers, we did? Besides those hand held shower nozzles are so much better, your not soaking in your own dirt. (yuck) But me, I've always hated baths...and if your a woman, some of us, who get bladder infections are told not to soak in a tube but to take showers.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I prefer the double sink, especially if you don't have a dishwasher. With a double sink you can put the dirty dishes on one side and wash them in the other.

My bathtub is not high. It's just over a foot high. I prefer a tub because a tub can be used as a tub or you can use it as a shower.
so, tell me, just curious, can you set a 9 x 13 inch baking pan in your sink on one side, to soak? Because mine you can't. But I can see your point, if you don't have a dishwasher....

as far as the tub is concerned, I can also see your point, but it's difficult for older people to get over that foot high tube, if you've got joint problems or you've had surgery.

Old 07-27-2018, 09:12 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,354,554 times
I much prefer double sinks, because I often wash dishes by hand, so you have rinse water in one side and soapy water on the other. I don't buy undersize double sinks. I have never had any singificant trouble washing largish things. You can always set an oversize item on the counter to soak. If you have a kitchen door.

Low toilets work far better with the human digestive anatomy. (Nuff said, not going to go into details). if you find someone in the family having trouble with the low toilet, a tall one can be purchased and installed for short money, but if everyone is able to get on and off a short one, they are better.

There are a lot of advantages to a standard bathtub that a shower doesn't have. My ideal situation would be to have in a master bathroom both a standard tub and a shower enclosure. If I have to pick only one, and I have only one bathroom, I would go with the standard tub. If I have two small bathrooms, I would probably put a shower in one and a tub in the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting