Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 10:32 PM

20 posts, read 16,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
search the public records and determine how often the crooks have been to court....Judges hate repeat offender landlords, but if they are squeaky clean, it will be more challenging. I moved out of a monthly rental in June, and had my deposit deposited in my bank account within 10 minutes of giving her the key. Minus 9 Dollars for cleaning...I then write the place a great review on Google....on my own will. How are their reviews? Another place to check if you can't find court records.

OK me the names involved and the jurisdiction and I will run them, if you cant.
I checked and he has one judgement more than 20 years ago, dozens of UCC filing and dozens of lien. So not sure if it’s good or bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 06:37 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiYou View Post
Will do��. My concern again is what you said to “prove”, I didn’t have anything in written form, though they don’t have it stated I must have it in written. I’m afraid this would just be a “he said, she said”. But I really do hope the judge will consider the law breaking they did. All I could prob hope is for the landlord to prove he had send me a written notice, which he will fail to because he never did, and as far as the 21 days, I hope I will nail them with that and the bad faith, since I tried to dispute this with them multiple time for less money and they still won’t give a cent back. They think they’re entitled to the whole but gave me a discount and kept approx. 60% of the deposit. Although, I’ll be burning my bridge with them, I hope they will learn to treat not just me but anyone fairly in the future.

In court it’s up to you to have the proof. Most likely you’ll see a mediator to try and settle before seeing the judge. It’s not like you see on tv. Now the judge may make a decision based in who sounds more truthful.

The 21 day rule applies but you need proof of delivery and also need to show the day you left because that’s when the 21 days start. You should of had some dated close out documents like I returned the keys, remotes etc on x day. What about your utility bills? When was the last day showing on those? That could be your proof of vacating. I usually have dated signed documents but I not interested in screwing anyone out of a deposit. I’ll charge for damages without hesitation but it’s big ticket items like messed up brand new carpet or trashed appliances if tenan5 damaged them. If it’s worn out I dint care. I’ll replace it at my expense
Good luck. Hope you get your money

Old 09-16-2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
In court it’s up to you to have the proof. Most likely you’ll see a mediator to try and settle before seeing the judge. It’s not like you see on tv. Now the judge may make a decision based in who sounds more truthful.

The 21 day rule applies but you need proof of delivery and also need to show the day you left because that’s when the 21 days start. You should of had some dated close out documents like I returned the keys, remotes etc on x day. What about your utility bills? When was the last day showing on those? That could be your proof of vacating. I usually have dated signed documents but I not interested in screwing anyone out of a deposit. I’ll charge for damages without hesitation but it’s big ticket items like messed up brand new carpet or trashed appliances if tenan5 damaged them. If it’s worn out I dint care. I’ll replace it at my expense
I have the tracking number for their post of when they mail the deposit refund, and I also have my check online to prove my last day was the 5th.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post

🙏 thank you.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:06 AM

By the way, I couldn’t find it anywhere, but does anyone know if the 21 days includes weekend too, or just weekdays(mon-Friday)...? Appreciate it.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:39 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiYou View Post
By the way, I couldn’t find it anywhere, but does anyone know if the 21 days includes weekend too, or just weekdays(mon-Friday)...? Appreciate it.
It’s 21 calendar days not business days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting