Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2018, 07:54 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,283,652 times

Advertisements

According to my lease agreement, I am entitled to free standard cable and I was receiving free standard cable when I was able to get it directly from my TV to the wall.

However, the cable company (Spectrum) now requires their customers to get cable from a digital receiver.
No problem I thought, but after hooking the box up, I discovered that I was only receiving basic cable not standard.
I called Spectrum and after a couple of futile attempts to get the problem resolved, I spoke was a CSR who told me she could unlock the service and she did.

But she also stated that there would be a $54 TV service charge but not to worry, I wouldn’t have to pay for it.
Well, I just received my bill and not only is the charge on there, there is another partial TV service charge and an increase of my internet bill.
So what was once a monthly internet only bill of $44.99 has increased to over $165.00 with the added TV service.
Needless to say, I will not pay.

So here’s the thing, I don’t think I should have to be bargaining and negotiating with the cable company.
This should be the apartment complexes’ problem to resolve.
They aren’t providing me with said service that is in the lease agreement.

Would this be considered non-compliance on the part of the landlord?

The only other option would be to take the lease agreement down to the local Spectrum office and show them the proof since calling Spectrum and talking to their incompetent CSR over the phone has done no good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 08:12 AM

3,961 posts, read 2,574,285 times
Have you talked to your apartment management? How did you find out the change was going to happen? Did your landlord tell you or the cable company? You have to figure out what steps you have to go through to remedy this situation.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:14 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
However, the cable company (Spectrum) now requires their customers to get cable from a digital receiver.
Good luck with that.
Short answer is that the LL is NOT obliged to make up the difference when the provider changed technology.

Whenever I consider getting cable again the required digital receiver deal is when I stop.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Good luck with that.
Short answer is that the LL is NOT obliged to make up the difference when the provider changed technology.

Whenever I consider getting cable again the required digital receiver deal is when I stop.

But nowhere in the lease agreement does it say that the LL is not obliged to make up the difference when the provider changed technology.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:16 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
...that the LL is not obliged to make up the difference when...
I bet there are a dozen other aspects that aren't specifically called out about changes.
It doesn't matter. Change still happens.

The LL would be happy to provide 'standard cable' (at the prior $10 cost) as it said in the lease.
The problem is that Spectrum no longer has it available and your LL is no longer your provider.

All that said... take them all to Court and see what you might get.
Maybe the LL will be held responsible for how Spectrum runs their business.

btw... when is your lease term up?

Old 09-20-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I bet there are a dozen other aspects that aren't specifically called out about changes.
It doesn't matter. Change still happens.

The LL would be happy to provide 'standard cable' (at the prior $10 cost) as it said in the lease.
The problem is that Spectrum no longer has it available and your LL is no longer your provider.

All that said... take them all to Court and see what you might get.
Maybe the LL will be held responsible for how Spectrum runs their business.

btw... when is your lease term up?

The lease is up in December.
I don't have the time or energy to take them to court.

Actually, I rarely watch television but my wife is home and she watches it.

I think the main problem is that the Spectrum reps over the phone think I'm BSing them about the standard cable and showing them the lease agreement in person might help. Might.

But the least the apartment complex should do it reiterate (and put it in the lease agreement) that tenants are to receive basic not standard cable.

Old 09-20-2018, 01:05 PM

486 posts, read 416,428 times
If you have a separate internet bill, it sounds like the rep mixed things up (accidentally or on purpose) to get you on the hook for more stuff. You need to fight that battle with Spectrum.

If the lease requires the landlord to provide "Standard" cable and Spectrum changes what that is, it may mean that you are now only entitled to the "Basic" cable. Or, if they still offer "Standard", the apartment company may need to provide that, but you are responsible for the cost of the cable box (since that is a separate charge and they are still, in fact, paying for your "Standard" cable).

Old 09-20-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLinVA View Post
If you have a separate internet bill, it sounds like the rep mixed things up (accidentally or on purpose) to get you on the hook for more stuff. You need to fight that battle with Spectrum.

If the lease requires the landlord to provide "Standard" cable and Spectrum changes what that is, it may mean that you are now only entitled to the "Basic" cable. Or, if they still offer "Standard", the apartment company may need to provide that, but you are responsible for the cost of the cable box (since that is a separate charge and they are still, in fact, paying for your "Standard" cable).

There's been no changes from their channel lineup that I know of.
Basic is a handful of local/gov channels while standard offers about 60.

The problem started when the required digital receiver box came into play.
When I was running coaxial cable straight from the wall to the TV, I had standard cable.
I really don't need the box since I have a Roku and can watch cable thru the Spectrum app (a bit cumbersome though).

But that still doesn't solve the standard cable dilemma.

Last edited by lluvia; 09-20-2018 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: grammer

Old 09-20-2018, 02:34 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
The lease is up in December.
I don't have the time or energy to take them to court.

Actually, I rarely watch television but my wife is home and she watches it.

I think the main problem is that the Spectrum reps over the phone think I'm BSing them about the standard cable and showing them the lease agreement in person might help. Might.

But the least the apartment complex should do it reiterate (and put it in the lease agreement) that tenants are to receive basic not standard cable.
Spectrum doesn't care...they'll tell you the deal is between you and your landlord.

I didn't know there was a defined difference between "basic cable" and "Standard Cable."

Old 09-20-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Spectrum doesn't care...they'll tell you the deal is between you and your landlord.

I didn't know there was a defined difference between "basic cable" and "Standard Cable."

Spectrum keeps the lower tiers well hidden so they can push the multi channels.
Trust me, there's a difference between them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting