Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 01:32 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,270,193 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to an apartment complex in FL next month which requires renter's insurance before move in. I've done more than enough apartment hunting these past few months to see that there is a trend with apartment complexes to steer you to a particular e-insurance company where the application for renter's insurance is done online.

My question is this:

With plane fare, the rule of thumb is that best day to reserve a flight on line is on a Tuesday to get the lowest fare. With apartment complexes, the rental rates change daily based on "market value." Would purchasing rental insurance from a website be subject to similar practices, i.e. is there a "best day/time" to apply for renter's insurance online?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2018, 01:48 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
I'm moving to an apartment complex in FL next month which requires renter's insurance before move in.
Which means you'll have at least a few days after you apply to get it done.
Call your auto insurance carrier. Do both at the same time.

Old 09-28-2018, 02:08 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
is there a "best day/time" to apply for renter's insurance online?
No.

The rates will be the same regardless of when you apply.

They will, however, differ slightly between insurance companies, so shop around but check with your auto insurance agent to see if there are any discounts involved by putting it with the same company as your auto insurance.

Make sure you tell your agent where you are moving to and when. If you are moving from a state other than Florida there may need to be a significant change in your policy.

Old 09-28-2018, 05:39 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,270,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Which means you'll have at least a few days after you apply to get it done.
Call your auto insurance carrier. Do both at the same time.
The auto insurance carrier I was considering said basically said that FL was a "unicorn" (my term) and they don't deal with renter's insurance for FL. That being said, I'm researching both renter's and car insurance so I still might be able to strike some sort of deal.... (see //www.city-data.com/forum/tampa...as-county.html)

Thanks to all who have responded--all input has been helpful!

Old 09-28-2018, 07:39 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,577,960 times
Very very few carriers in FL do both Auto and Property. Quite honestly, you’ve got a 99% chance of finding the best deal by splitting them. I’d recommend you find one of the local independent agents to shop your policy.

I’d stay away from e-renters. They tend to have very little coverage for your belongings, along with a number of odd policy provisions.

Old 09-28-2018, 11:43 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I seriously doubt it. I can tell you that I get a really good rate from Farmer's insurance, compared to the AARP The Hartford, who treated me horribly when I had a claim. I get better coverage now from Farmer's at about half the cost. And Farmers has a good reputation on the state insurance commissioner's website, whereas the AARP The Hartford has a horrible rating. Wish I'd known that before I signed up with them the last time.

Don't know if it would be different where you are, but in CA, Farmer's has a good reputation. I get good coverage, including earthquake insurance with a low deductible and I only pay around $10/month.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:15 PM

8,673 posts, read 22,905,462 times
Never go to an insurance company recommended by an interested party to a transaction.....not unless you have a day or two to read every page of the policy For all you know, you are agreeing for all checks to be paid to the landlord.

Old 10-02-2018, 10:45 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Never go to an insurance company recommended by an interested party to a transaction.....not unless you have a day or two to read every page of the policy For all you know, you are agreeing for all checks to be paid to the landlord.
This is a good point. You want the kind of policy that simply notifies your landlord if you have a lapse in coverage, but not the kind that actually puts them on your policy. I forget the correct terms, but your agent should know how to set it up that way.

And yeah, I'd never sign up for anything where someone might be getting a kick-back, like that. I do my own shopping, thanks.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:04 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
Very very few carriers in FL do both Auto and Property. Quite honestly, you’ve got a 99% chance of finding the best deal by splitting them. I’d recommend you find one of the local independent agents to shop your policy.

I’d stay away from e-renters. They tend to have very little coverage for your belongings, along with a number of odd policy provisions.

I don't think your 'very few' statement is accurate; unless of course you have data to back that up.

when I read 'very few', I think less than 3 and I again, I think you're way off.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:10 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,577,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I don't think your 'very few' statement is accurate; unless of course you have data to back that up.

when I read 'very few', I think less than 3 and I again, I think you're way off.
Just because you assume the market is smaller than it is, doesn’t make your number right. I’ve been in this industry for over 20 years, and I can tell you that the number of carriers that are writing both products on their own paper across the state is probably below 10 right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting