Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2018, 07:15 PM

1 posts, read 394 times

Advertisements

Hi

My fiancé have paid the security deposit and first month rent in full on 9/29/2018, and he has signed the contract on the same day + house key collected. The start date will be 10/1/2018 until 3/31/2018.

However the landlord text him the same day at midnight and said due to family relative issues, the room will be hosting their family, so they can’t rent out the room.

But my fiancé already inform his previous landlord that he is moving out on 10/1/2018, and the room is also taken for next tenant.

Now he has no place to live. And rushed to look for a room.

Is this legal for landlord to do this?
After both signed the contract and hand over the house key, they have no damage to loss, but my fiancé got ruined like that!

For them to breaching a binding contract, how to file claim for this.

Any help would be much appreciated
As I did done lots of research on the internet, but still didn’t got a clear answer for the same situation.

Thank you for your time reading our post and helping out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 05:28 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carol1981 View Post
Any help would be much appreciated
Don't confuse renting a room in someones home (and whatever those limited rights are)
with renting an actual house or apt by himself (and what those rights are).

Focus on getting the money he paid returned and finding another room for him to rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting