Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 09:37 AM

666 posts, read 643,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Can you blame them?
Even if/when they have some objective data ... sharing it can only be problematic.

How about if the people who know they are sensitive (to sound or light or odor etc)...
take it upon themselves to see if unit 301 in Building 18 works for them or not?
And how are they supposed to do that, exactly? Only way to truly know about all those factors (odors?) inside the place would be to spend an extended period time in the exact unit. That isn't going to be offered, if you even get to see "unit 301" instead of an empty model unit. What you're asking would be nice, OP, as much as possible. Noisy people, in particular people unable to control the source of their noise (whether that noise is from pets, children, etc) should choose SFH / non shared dwellings, as shared living spaces are just not appropriate choices for them. But since they don't, more information and disclosure for the rest of us who just want to live in peace would be nice. I know it isn't going to happen so no follow-up "corrections" are needed, but just saying that it would be nice, is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 09:49 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettybaby80 View Post
Why wouldn’t you be able to control your tenants loud music? As a ll , you can through rules in their lease and enforce any rules you the ll want the tenants to adhere to.
I going to ask you to go back and re-read my post. I’m not talking about controlling MY tenants noise generation. I’m talking about expecting a LL to control OTHER people’s noise generation. Other people as in neighbors or tenants that aren’t mine. Traffic, kids etc.
Or to have any say in the construction of the dwelling when it was built as far as noise control.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:36 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Isn't that typically how it is though? I don't expect an apartment that is renting for $500 to be as nice as an aprtment renting fpr double or triple that price. There is typically a reason why dome apartment buildings are much cheaper than others, and the building's quality is one of those reasons.

I agree with another poster who said to check out the apartment multiple times, at different times of the day. Go during the day, in the evening when people are getting home from work, and on the weekends as well. The last time I went apartment searching, on one pf my visits the next door neighbor was blasting their stereo eith full bass. It seemed like a nice place, so if I had been there at a different time, I wouldn't have known about the loud neighbor.
Sometimes, but not always.

Of course, if you rent an apartment with concrete floors, then the sound insulation is typically superior. But, you don't need to go that far all of the time.

My current apartment has wood framed floors, and my last apartment had wood framed floors but the difference is really big.

In general, the more $ you pay, the better the construction, and the better the chances of good sound insulation, yes.

Another trick that I've used is to wait outside the building and catch tenants on their way out and ask them how the insulation is. I've lived in many apartments, and I can tell the difference now between bad, good, and superior noise insulation.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:49 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Isn't that typically how it is though? I don't expect an apartment that is renting for $500 to be as nice as an aprtment renting fpr double or triple that price. There is typically a reason why dome apartment buildings are much cheaper than others, and the building's quality is one of those reasons.

I agree with another poster who said to check out the apartment multiple times, at different times of the day. Go during the day, in the evening when people are getting home from work, and on the weekends as well. The last time I went apartment searching, on one pf my visits the next door neighbor was blasting their stereo eith full bass. It seemed like a nice place, so if I had been there at a different time, I wouldn't have known about the loud neighbor.
Yes and no. I've seen "nice" places that had all the appointments of a high end place but crummy building overall. And, I've rented old, tired apartments that were constructed in such a way that I usually didn't hear much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting