Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2018, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 400 times

Advertisements

After the first year of living in my apartment my lease ended and my landlord never made my roommate and I sign a new one. A year later, after paying month-to-month I moved out and my roommate decided to stay and get a new roommate. It was her decision to not tell the landlord about me moving out and her friend moving in.

I told her that if she wanted to do that she would have to have her new roommate pay me her half of the security deposit. The landlord found out somehow and is now making the new roommate submit the security deposit to him and she refuses to pay me. The landlord has not responded about returning my half of my security deposit to me.

I did not break any lease and he's accepting this new roommate into the apartment and not giving me money back. Is there anything I can do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 02:06 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danithegirl_ View Post
After the first year of living in my apartment my lease ended
and my landlord never made my roommate and I sign a new one.
Was he supposed to?
Commonly (preferably) most leases will automatically continue as a M2M arrangement.

Quote:
A year later, after paying month-to-month I moved out
and my roommate decided to stay and get a new roommate.

It was her decision to not tell the landlord about me moving out and her friend moving in.
Nope. You LET HER make that decision and just hoped for the best.

Quote:
I told her that if she wanted to do that she would have to have her new roommate pay me
her half of the security deposit.
Oh... so you like to just make it up as you go along too?

Quote:
The landlord found out somehow ...
Those tricky devils!

Quote:
...and is now making the new roommate submit the security deposit to him
and she refuses to pay me.
Good for her and for him too.

Quote:
The landlord has not responded about returning my half of my security deposit to me.
The question to focus on is getting released from that old lease contract.

Quote:
Is there anything I can do?
Wait until the dust settles from the new roomie moving in
and for the LL to check for damages. If all is well he'll likely refund you.

Old 10-17-2018, 03:16 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
The landlord does not return any deposit to anyone until after the unit is completely vacant and the keys and possession returned to the landlord.

You'll have to work out your deposit issues with your ex roommate. It's not the landlord's problem.

Old 10-17-2018, 03:25 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
By the way, you'd better get something in writing from the landlord that you are out and your obligation is ended. Otherwise, your name is on the contract and that contract stays valid until the landlord gets his property back. You didn't even tell the landlord you were moving out. You could still be named in an eviction or charged for damage.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:43 AM

486 posts, read 416,428 times
You need to talk to the landlord. Ask him since they are signing a new lease, can that end your lease so you can get your deposit back. See what he says.

You did mess up by not telling him you were moving out, and made it worse by having someone he had never screened move in, but if he is moving forward with them on a new lease and getting more of a security deposit, now is the time to try to wrap things up with properly with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting