Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2018, 09:56 PM

1 posts, read 386 times

Advertisements

To keep a long story short, I have been subletting a rent controlled apartment in West Hollywood, CA for . 4 and a half years. I have always paid rent on time, and I pay 93% or so of the total monthly rent for the apartment. This month, the master tenant came and picked up the rent about 7 days into the month, this isn't unusual for him to do so. Today, I opened my front door to find a 3 day Pay or Quit notice on my door.

The notice was addressed to the master tenant and all other occupants.

I thought that although difficult if I made the rental payment for the full apartment together for October directly to the landlord of the property, it would be fine and I could collect from the master tenant later on. Although after doing so and taking cashiers to check directly to the office as stated on the three-day notice, I was turned away and told I could not make the payment.

I emailed the master tenant asking him if he was planning on keeping my money that I paid him for October’s rent which he replied, “I had to use that money to pay for the electric bill, and other various expenses” to which he claimed I owed him for.

Fast forward to the 26th of November, and I received a new 3-day notice, this time the owner of the property included my name on the 3 Day Notice along with the Master Tenant (their lessee), surprised by this considering they denied my payment to cure the October 3 day I called the owner for clarification, they said, "Yes there was some confusion about that last month, but that I would be able to cure the 3 day notice." So considering December was right around the corner (today!) I said, "If I were to pay the back rent owed could I then make payments to them going forward?" They replied that "No, I would have to wait every month to receive a 3-day notice, to which then I could cure it."

A couple things to note: The difference in the rent I have an agreement with the Master and the rent for the entire complex is only about $200 which is manageable for me.

I am wondering what my rights are in terms of legalities.
How can the owner of the property, name me as someone on the 3-day notice and allow me to cure the back owed rent owed to them by the Master but, going forward I would have to wait until it is breached again? '

Frankly, That seems ridiculous and illegal. Also, it is my understanding that if the landlord evicts the tenant they have to wait a specified amount of time before they can raise, and rerent the property to someone else.

If they have seen that I am able and willing to pay the rent and have been for 4 years now what stake do they have to evict and let the property sit vacant for 12 or 24 months?

I feel like they will consider me a tenant when and only when I am paying for late rent, leaving me in a highly unstable situation.

If they do move forward with an eviction and I am willing to pay them but only if I get the same rights or can take over the current lease what are my rights at the very least being the one who has paid for all this time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting