Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 10:29 AM

2 posts, read 2,148 times

Advertisements

I have been shopping for a home rental. This is the 2nd home I have found that is underpriced for market value. The owner has shown interest in renting to me. He too states that he is out of town and wants me to send my deposit and he will then send me the rental lease and keys without being able to see the inside of the home. Is this too good to be true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 10:35 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,694,459 times
Would you buy a used car without test driving it and looking under the hood?
How many fish you plan to catch today BTW?

Old 01-20-2019, 10:43 AM

268 posts, read 271,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwgravy View Post
I have been shopping for a home rental. This is the 2nd home I have found that is underpriced for market value. The owner has shown interest in renting to me. He too states that he is out of town and wants me to send my deposit and he will then send me the rental lease and keys without being able to see the inside of the home. Is this too good to be true?
RUN! Run away as fast as you can! If you do a little research you'll find out it's a typical rental scam. Kiss your money goodbye.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:43 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Sounds like a scam.

I would never send cash or wire money to anyone until you've seen the place. Anyone renting their home usually has someone--a realtor, property manager, relative, neighbor--let you in to see the place. He could have used a lockbox and a key. I would also check the county official records to make sure the person owns the house. Almost all counties put deeds online these days.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:45 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Very common scam. The place may or may not have recently been available for sale or rent, but the guy advertising now is NOT the owner. He stole the pictures off the internet.

That's why you can't go look at it.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:49 AM

2 posts, read 2,148 times
Thank you all! That is very helpful. I feel the same way. I just wanted to hear it for myself.

Old 01-20-2019, 11:03 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
It's not good at all

Old 01-20-2019, 11:05 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
That sounds like a scam to me.

If you want to put the effort in, you can find out the owner's name and address from the county tax assessor, but I think the chances that this isn't a scam are pretty darn slim.

My landlord acquaintances occasionally have someone contact them to let them know that their photos have been stolen and are being used as a scam. The landlord will try to get the ad removed. You can go that far if you wish to, OP, but you have no obligation to do so.

Often the photos are stolen from house for sale ads.

The experienced landlords are recommending that photos be water marked, but I am not seeing many watermarked photos. Even with watermarking, an occasional tenant will be so determined to get a good bargain that they will still send money for a place that isn't for rent to someone who doesn't own the house.

Old 01-20-2019, 11:22 AM

268 posts, read 271,660 times
Ask for the address, then Google it. Bet you'll find the original for sale or for rent ad.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:39 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,757,953 times
Quote:
Wow that’s actually a very lazy freakin scam! At least the ones here in Phoenix go a bit further before they ********* out of money. Lol.

The ones I see quite often are the ones that obtain the code to unlock the house. They then tell you the code, which makes you feel like you are dealing with the genuine landlord/owner/representative. If you like the property after viewing it, they send a very generic lease, and they even print the address on the fake lease too! By this point, you are sold and ready to give a complete stranger your money. Somewhat a mid-long scam. A-for effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting