Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2019, 12:16 PM

1 posts, read 695 times

Advertisements

My Mother and I have been renting an apartment for years. Although we both pay the rent I have never been added to the lease. I plan on having the apartment complex add me to the lease at this point. However, is there any way my apartment complex can backdate or retroactive the lease when adding me in order to acknowledge the years I have already lived here. I am looking to move out on my own soon and am concerned about not having rental history since I was never on the original lease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 12:45 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,321,509 times
I'm not sure there needs to be any backdating or anything, it's not a credit report. Just get a letter from landlord for your new place saying you and your mother lived there X years and paid rent on time. It won't be an issue.

Old 02-06-2019, 03:10 PM

784 posts, read 729,897 times
No worries. Your address on on your credit report. Once you are on the lease, you will have a LL reference. Unfortunately, LLs such as myself pay little attention to rental history. Credit score, income and criminal background are what mater to me. In that order.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:49 PM

21 posts, read 20,434 times
Prospective future landlords will likely do a background search (which may include criminal history searches) and a credit check as well as income verification to determine your eligibility. As far as your rental history goes, as long as your landlord can verify that the rent has been paid on time since you are known to have lived there and there are no evictions on your record you should be fine. Put yourself in their shoes - their objective is to find a trouble-free tenant who is able and dependable to pay the rent.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:48 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,837,223 times
Honestly, I wouldn't add yourself to the lease. There's no real good reason other than trying to show a rental history but, you will only show a history from the date of signing. Not many people are willing to backdate a lease. I know im not.

Also, the landlord may require a new 1 year term if he adds you to the lease. That's obviously not what you want if you're moving.

My big question is, does the landlord know you were there? Some get a little touchy about unauthorized tenants. It's not something I hunt down but when it comes to my attention, it gets addressed.

If you have utility bills in your name, I would use them as proof of residency instead of opening the can of worms that is adding your name to the lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting