Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 03:38 PM

15 posts, read 19,507 times

Advertisements

I mostly lurk there now a days, I haven't logged on in ages. We used to have an old farmhouse that we were restoring, an orchard, goats and chickens. We still garden a little and visits/volunteer on farms whenever we have free time. What bugs me most about apartment life is I'm not allowed to fix things on my own and have to deal with waiting on other people to use cheap subpar made in China materials to put a band aid on something instead of actually fixing it. It's not the maintenance folks fault, these are plaster and particle board cheapo apartments and there stuck with the materials the company gives them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 10:01 PM

478 posts, read 418,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuskerBelle View Post
I've rented here for two years, I'm not sure why they did not inspect the apartment last year and call it an annual inspection. The carpet was supposedly new but had cigarette burn holes in it when we moved in. The little old lady next door said the carpet was just steam cleaned and not replaced when the last folks moved out. The carpet does not need to be replaced, its frayed and has a few mild stains. It was already burned and worn when we moved in. But I've agreed (well before the inspection) that my pet deposit can go to replace their already a few years old carpet.
I have kids, my kids take their shoes off when they come in the apartment. Some time my littlests shoes fling a bit instead of landing right on the door mat. I scrub my walls daily to get the dirt and mud off of them.
I'm doing the best any normal human can to keep this place clean and taken care of. Living here has taught me you can't clean broken and so much of this apartment is just not maintainable.
I moved in with holes burned in the carpet, this made it where it was easier for the vacuum cleaner and toys to snag on it. The apartment is surrounded by mud, I have begged and pleaded with the landlords to do something about it. They refuse to plant grass or put down gravel or anything. Unless kids sit inside and watch TV all day they will get muddy, lol.
So yeah um you've never spilled a cup of joe? Come on?
Normal wear and tear is the side effect of LIVING somewhere. The landlords know that my apartment is tidy and that my pet deposit should cover the prorated 'life of the carpet' but they can not use my deposit for the carpet while I'm still here.
You’re changing your story. Liars usually do that. The key word is “normal” in wear and tear. I have raised 3 kids - not once have they ever flung a muddy boot at a wall. Not once have I ever had to scrub walls daily.

And yes, I’ve spilled coffee. And cleaned in time for it to not stain.

Old 03-14-2019, 05:46 AM

15 posts, read 19,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex Ranger View Post
You’re changing your story. Liars usually do that. The key word is “normal” in wear and tear. I have raised 3 kids - not once have they ever flung a muddy boot at a wall. Not once have I ever had to scrub walls daily.

And yes, I’ve spilled coffee. And cleaned in time for it to not stain.
Please elaborate on what you see as a change in my story as I do not lie. I used to teach at a head start preschool ages ago and nearly every one of the students dropped a boot or a shoe at some point and had it either leave a splatter of mud behind them or skid across the floor. You're kids must be pretty special to be so tidy compared to the norm, congratulations on having such outstanding outliers. When we spill paint or coffee I of course clean the stain, even use the carpet shampooer to spot clean but the carpet at this apartment does not get clean like the ones in houses I've lived before. I even bought a second carpet shampooer when I thought maybe it was the machine not getting the carpets clean but the new one stop lol just fades the spills instead of removing the stains completly. People like you just make me want to give up on society and be a hermit on a mountain and escape all the people that inflate their egos by degrading and debasing hard working honest folks.

Old 03-14-2019, 05:55 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
She is required to make the repairs if the inspector says that she is the one that has to make the repairs. All of it sounds like tenant damage, not structural problems that are the landlord's responsibility.
No, an inspector can not tell her to repair something that is legally not her responsibility, they can tell her but she is not required to do it, they can tell her she has to move to Mars she doesn't have to do it. If someone has proof they didn't cause the damage an inspector can not force them to make a repair to something they don't own or have a vested interest in, that's up to the landlord to fight them on with the security deposit.

Old 03-14-2019, 05:59 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
That's what I was hoping the inspection was about but that is not the tone the inspector took with me. He even phrased the banning from section 8 with something to the effect of I'll be happy to ban you from participating in the program.
My dog is super well behaved now. We got him as a puppy when we moved in and paid all sorts of fees, deposits, monthly pet rent etc to have him. The landlords made it seem like it was no big deal to have a puppy and that they were accommodating and understanding towards dogs. But then again the landlord lets their pit bull run loose so yeah. Maybe their just afraid their loose pitbull might get hurt by my dog (125lb St Bernard mix from a rescue) if their loose dog ran up to me while I'm walking my dog, on a leash like any normal dog owner does!
I would make a note of that threat and report the guy as long as you know you can find someone to be on your side. It sounds like he's a jerk who wants to discriminate against you for being Section 8, he may think he's better than you and has a bias.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
No, an inspector can not tell her to repair something that is legally not her responsibility, they can tell her but she is not required to do it, they can tell her she has to move to Mars she doesn't have to do it. If someone has proof they didn't cause the damage an inspector can not force them to make a repair to something they don't own or have a vested interest in, that's up to the landlord to fight them on with the security deposit.
That’s not how section 8 works.

Old 03-14-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Please elaborate on what you see as a change in my story as I do not lie. I used to teach at a head start preschool ages ago and nearly every one of the students dropped a boot or a shoe at some point and had it either leave a splatter of mud behind them or skid across the floor. You're kids must be pretty special to be so tidy compared to the norm, congratulations on having such outstanding outliers. When we spill paint or coffee I of course clean the stain, even use the carpet shampooer to spot clean but the carpet at this apartment does not get clean like the ones in houses I've lived before. I even bought a second carpet shampooer when I thought maybe it was the machine not getting the carpets clean but the new one stop lol just fades the spills instead of removing the stains completly. People like you just make me want to give up on society and be a hermit on a mountain and escape all the people that inflate their egos by degrading and debasing hard working honest folks.
Those garbage carpet machines do more harm than good usually, and that’s what you’re seeing.

The story of your flooring and pet damage keeps evolving. If it was truly not your fault, you would not be willing to forfeit your “hardworking” money towards it. Own your responsibility in this.

Listen. You’re borrowing tax funds that you don’t have to repay for your rent. You have a higher duty of care for the property and use of those funds. If that’s “degrading”, then don’t take the free money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting