Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 03:37 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Just cause it's in writing doesn't make it enforceable.
I've read some sketchy leases ...
Here is the problem. (Listen up landlords!).
Most want a deposit to hold the property. Then if you are semi reasonable as an informed prospective tenant you'll read it and question that one word (that clearly favors the landlord).
The land lord will gleened over it and use the ole ...ohhh it's standard on leases...
Run...do not walk away from the " it's standard". It's more standard b.s.
Point in case . Landlord writes out the utility provision.
Most read it and sign since it says who pays what.
But here's the kicker..the landlord clumps trash and water under a guestimate. Thus when bored or needing more money...sends a hey! We need three times more from you ..
So whIle the land lord is responsible to the provider...he makes up an increase that suits him but is not justified on the provider websites or offices.
So yes. Read it. And don't sign it if you are not 100% ready to get the shaft.
The landlord gets to keep the deposit because you didn't sign the lease. Cute scam...yet legit. It's a win win for the landlord...
Not all LLs ask for a deposit to hold a property. I don’t hold a property for anyone. Why you ask? Because if a more qualified tenant comes along and is ready to sign right now I don’t need to wait till you make up your mind.

I go over all the leases with the tenant AFTER they are qualified and ready to sign. I like to get my leases signed and deposits and payments done

As far as rent raises I raise the rents as I need to cover my costs. I used to try not to but I no longer do that. My costs are going up so I pass them on. It’s just the way it is. If the raises are not to your liking we simply part ways.

Now a non refundable deposit can be legally kept if you back out. If the LL won’t show the lease and won’t let you read it you don’t leave a hold deposit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 08:06 AM

784 posts, read 729,262 times
[quote=Nov3;55053147]The landlord gets to keep the deposit because you didn't sign the lease. Cute scam...yet legit. It's a win win for the landlord.../QUOTE]

Yes, it pays for the time and energy we invest in a applicant, and to take the property off the market. I show my properties to many that do not put down a deposit to hold the property, and I keep showing.

If you want it, you have to put down a deposit. Much like the LL had to do, to purchase the place.

Old 04-29-2019, 03:53 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
[quote=FIREin2016;55057478]
Quote:
The landlord gets to keep the deposit because you didn't sign the lease. Cute scam...yet legit. It's a win win for the landlord.../QUOTE]

Yes, it pays for the time and energy we invest in a applicant, and to take the property off the market. I show my properties to many that do not put down a deposit to hold the property, and I keep showing.

If you want it, you have to put down a deposit. Much like the LL had to do, to purchase the place.
I see your point. Invalid as it is .

Putting the cart before the horse. How is it transparent to the leasee if you expect a deposit before they read the legal contract? Then you gleefully keep the deposit.

See you proved my point.

Maybe you can tell the prospect ...before we proceed ...here is the lease. Read it over...take it to your lawyer. And if your still interested. Then leave the deposit. That's how above board business's run when wishing to establish a mutually benefiting transaction. Gosh three minutes of your time ...how is that worth a 500$ deposit.

Old 05-01-2019, 06:29 AM

6,455 posts, read 3,977,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Not all LLs ask for a deposit to hold a property. I don’t hold a property for anyone. Why you ask? Because if a more qualified tenant comes along and is ready to sign right now I don’t need to wait till you make up your mind.

I go over all the leases with the tenant AFTER they are qualified and ready to sign. I like to get my leases signed and deposits and payments done

As far as rent raises I raise the rents as I need to cover my costs. I used to try not to but I no longer do that. My costs are going up so I pass them on. It’s just the way it is. If the raises are not to your liking we simply part ways.

Now a non refundable deposit can be legally kept if you back out. If the LL won’t show the lease and won’t let you read it you don’t leave a hold deposit.
So what happens if the apartment MUST be held because the previous tenant hasn't left yet? It's just "whoever shows up on the first of the month with cash in hand and will take the keys that day"?

Quote:

I see your point. Invalid as it is .

Putting the cart before the horse. How is it transparent to the leasee if you expect a deposit before they read the legal contract? Then you gleefully keep the deposit.

See you proved my point.

Maybe you can tell the prospect ...before we proceed ...here is the lease. Read it over...take it to your lawyer. And if your still interested. Then leave the deposit. That's how above board business's run when wishing to establish a mutually benefiting transaction. Gosh three minutes of your time ...how is that worth a 500$ deposit.
A prospective tenant can and should ask to read the lease well before at the point of no return. I usually ask about it on viewing the place. No point in even applying if I don't like what the lease says. And if they don't want me to read it before I'm expected to sign it... that tells me they know I won't like what's in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting