Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 09:08 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,142,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
If OP isn't on the lease with the actual landlord, and doesn't have some sort of paperwork legally making the roommate their landlord, do they owe any notice at all, from a legal standpoint? What could the roommate possibly sue them for, if there's no lease, no contract, nothing spelling out terms under which OP can move?
By law in most places, OP has established tenancy there, whether there is a written lease or not. As such, yes, notice is required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 09:54 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,917,240 times
Sounds like your roommate has issues, is conniving, lies .... add in angry and you're moving.... so be careful. Sounds like one of those scenarios/movies where the ex eventually goes wild with anger.

As soon as you have a place to store them (new apt, a friend's place, storage) take from the apt the most important things, cost-wise, sentiment-wise. Did you say you still have your dog. See if these can be somewhere else. If the roommate doesn't have your new address, keep it from her. She can find it out after a while but put it off until you get settled a little more.

Hopefully, you've told what you said here to the three dimensional world. Even someone in law enforcement, if only to say it and have record, have friends show up every so often until you move.

Let us now how it goes.

Old 05-05-2019, 10:06 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
By law in most places, OP has established tenancy there, whether there is a written lease or not. As such, yes, notice is required.

And as the OP has nothing of value, there's really nothing the roommate can do about it. This isn't criminal law it's tenant law and a civil matter.

In most leases I've seen, subletting is not allowed in the first place. The landlord usually wants anyone living in an apartment to be vetted and on the lease.

Old 05-05-2019, 10:17 AM

21 posts, read 17,182 times
I signed the lease when I moved in. A year lapsed. And she re signed it without me becasue i was going to be purchasing a home. But financially that's not going to happen and with the issues with the floor she started baming me for everything and switching rent on me. So I gave notice.

Old 05-05-2019, 10:21 AM

21 posts, read 17,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
Sounds like your roommate has issues, is conniving, lies .... add in angry and you're moving.... so be careful. Sounds like one of those scenarios/movies where the ex eventually goes wild with anger.

As soon as you have a place to store them (new apt, a friend's place, storage) take from the apt the most important things, cost-wise, sentiment-wise. Did you say you still have your dog. See if these can be somewhere else. If the roommate doesn't have your new address, keep it from her. She can find it out after a while but put it off until you get settled a little more.

Hopefully, you've told what you said here to the three dimensional world. Even someone in law enforcement, if only to say it and have record, have friends show up every so often until you move.

Let us now how it goes.

Yeah I agree.. and being alone in a state without knowing anyone really doesnt help. I have a fee friends but they all live at home. I will reach out to my moms friend in law enforcement today just so he at least knows. I mean she literally vamt do anything and by changing rent 2 weeks without notice is breaking the law, and attempting to alter a 30 day notice to a 60 day notice cant be done. I move out on the 25th and I'm just going to try and keep to myself. She is very abrasive and rude, and I'm already stressed out. So this will be interesting. But thank you for your concern. It helps ease me a little

Old 05-05-2019, 10:24 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexx122 View Post
I signed the lease when I moved in. A year lapsed.
This changes just about everything.

READ the lease text sections about notice, renewals and for "joint & several" liability.
Be sure you UNDERSTAND too. Get local legal help if you don't.

Quote:
So I gave notice.
As said... everything changes with a lease.
You need to give notice to the landlord and per the terms you agreed to.
Have you paid the current share of rent the lease obliges you to? (due 5/1?).

You can and should still remove your valuables and do all the rest of your packing
and of course line up wherever it is that you'll be moving and make that legal ASAP.

Old 05-05-2019, 10:39 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,142,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
This changes just about everything.

READ the lease text sections about notice, renewals and for "joint & several" liability.
Be sure you UNDERSTAND too. Get local legal help if you don't.

As said... everything changes with a lease.
You need to give notice to the landlord and per the terms you agreed to.
Have you paid the current share of rent the lease obliges you to? (due 5/1?).

You can and should still remove your valuables and do all the rest of your packing
and of course line up wherever it is that you'll be moving and make that legal ASAP.
Yes, but the renewal was signed without OP on it. So, even though on original lease, she's not currently indebted to LL.

(Plus, she said earlier she's already talked to LL.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting