Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 10:04 AM

21 posts, read 17,174 times

Advertisements

I've had some major issues with my roomate as of late, and I decided it's best to move.mini back story( we moved into a house and the deal was since she uses 2 rooms for her home and office she would cut my rent since I'm just in 1 bedroom. I still pay half utilities for whatever reasons event though her office uses printers faxes laptops and lights ect. I shrugged it off. As the year passed she decided to charge me half rent while I stay in my room and she keeps her office, and I told her it was a but unfair since she gets more space and I just get a rent increase. She didnt budge. And now, she says since she cut mena deal, she's cutting g herself a deal, do I pay full rent and she only pays me back a smaller amount becasue that's what she did for me.) Its taking a toll on my bank account becasue I dont make that much to keep taking 1400 out and only get 500 back.. untold her this and she said I should be paying more becasue I have a dog. Shes 22 lbs and I already paid the deposit on her... there was also an issue where the fridge she got broke, so I dismantled it, sold it and bought another and she was supposed to split it with me, but she never paid me back. And a part of leaked onto the floor and warped some laminate, she verbally abused me for 2 weeks before telling the landlord blaming it solely on me.the rental company tired to pin the damage on me for $2200 before finding out the floor is 14 years old and sustained damage already. I'm just fed up). I asked the realty company we rent from and they said a 30 is normal. So I told my roomate I'm moving out in 30 days and gave her a written notice. She hit the ceiling (hasn't spoken to me all week) and wrote me a letter saying 30 days isnt sufficient for her and she requires a 60 day. I've already secured my apartment and will move in at the end of the month. I dont want to stay here any longer than I have too becasue shes very contriling and I cant stand it. I really dont want to dish out another $900 if I'm not going to be living here at all for June and idk what to do. I just want to leave already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 10:14 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexx122 View Post
...and I decided it's best to move.
What names are on the lease?
If YOUR name is on there... you give notice to the landlord.
Either way... don't expect to ever see any deposit money again.

Old 05-04-2019, 10:18 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times
Are you subletting from her? Are both your names on the lease?

Old 05-04-2019, 11:09 AM

Im not on the lease. Just her.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:15 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,140,723 times
Quote:
You're not on the lease with the LL. I'm assuming that you and your roommate don't have a written arrangement?

Just follow the laws of your state, then. If 30 days is acceptable, then 30 days is acceptable.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:28 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:

This is perfect for you. You move out per the 30 day notice. Legally you dont owe any money beyond that days. Just stop talking to her about the 30/day and move as you already specified.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:37 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,140,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
This is perfect for you. You move out per the 30 day notice. Legally you dont owe any money beyond that days. Just stop talking to her about the 30/day and move as you already specified.
But, did she follow the correct way to give notice, per her state laws?

In my state, it has to be written notice sent certified mail.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
You're not on the lease with the LL. I'm assuming that you and your roommate don't have a written arrangement?

Just follow the laws of your state, then. If 30 days is acceptable, then 30 days is acceptable.
No. I mentioned about 6 months ago I was planning on buying a house, and I would give my 60 day because that would be the same time frame the house would close, but aftert the rent game shes playing, I'm not saving enough and a house is out of the question this year and I told her that, and she relayed that in her letter "you said 60 days when you buy your home". So she expects 60 days.

But I'm not getting a home, idk what another 30 will do for her if she's not being proactive now in looking to fill my spot. I offered to help look and she got incredibly offended and I just gave up reasoning with her.

She brought something up I said well over a year ago (that I dont even remember saying) just to stir up conflict. I told her I didn't remember saying that and shes like "well I do, and that's exactly what you said!" So? Let it go and move on? It had nothing to do with the situation. She was just trying to fight. But im just too tired of all of this to care anymore.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
But, did she follow the correct way to give notice, per her state laws?

In my state, it has to be written notice sent certified mail.
I verbally told my roomate 33 days in advance, and a written notice on the first of the month. and wrote a letter to the landord company and let them know as well. I spoke to them personally to find out the proper steps to assure I was doing it correctly. The LL said they didn't need a notice since I wasn't on the lease, but they were thankful I was proactive about it.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:54 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,143,462 times
Clearly she manipulated you, do you have written agreement with her? I assume no because she is changing terms left and right and you seem to be going along with it. She already been informed by the management company that you are moving out in 30 days. She can say anything she wants but in 30 days you should be gone from the day of the notice. Basically tell her to deal with it and that is it. You might have to sue her in small claim court for the pet deposit that you gave to her as I am not seeing her willingly giving that back to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting