Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 06:51 AM

2 posts, read 2,441 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have a landlord issue. We pay rent through the landlord's website. The landlord changed policies without notice and forced us to be late. Then they charged us $100 late fee after refusing our payments.

So many of us were paying using credit or debit cards. They stopped accepting those. But they didn't tell us. ACtually they will accept but we will be charged a $34 fee. But instead of charging us, they refused our payments. So now we are late. THey charge $100 for being late. In addition they refuse to allow us to resubmit our information. So then we have to wait and wait and wait before we can put our information in. THis causes us to be late again because we forget. They are preventing us from setting up the accounts they changed.

Is there anything that can be done about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 07:08 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
What does your lease say about how payments will be made? So since he stopped taking CC payments, this "forced" you to be late? Couldn't you have just either paid the $34 fee or pay by another method. Sorry this on you unless the lease states you can pay via CC.

In the end it is your job to get the money to the landlord on time.

As a side note, if you are relying on your CC to pay rent, you might want to rethink your strategy / overall financial plan.

Old 06-06-2019, 07:26 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Well, you could always do something crazy like write a check and put it in an envelope and either mail it (if LL is remote) or drop it in the mailbox (if LL is on site).

All this other sounds like a bunch of unnecessary complication that requires constant fiddling. Way too much bother for me.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:21 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurices5000 View Post
Hello,

I have a landlord issue. We pay rent through the landlord's website. The landlord changed policies without notice and forced us to be late. Then they charged us $100 late fee after refusing our payments.

So many of us were paying using credit or debit cards. They stopped accepting those. But they didn't tell us. ACtually they will accept but we will be charged a $34 fee. But instead of charging us, they refused our payments. So now we are late. THey charge $100 for being late. In addition they refuse to allow us to resubmit our information. So then we have to wait and wait and wait before we can put our information in. THis causes us to be late again because we forget. They are preventing us from setting up the accounts they changed.

Yes there is... you can go in a talk to your landlord

Charging a process fee for online credit card payments is becoming the norm. Were you late because of his actions or were you late paying all on your own? They might have a system that kicks back late payments.

It is up to you to pay your rent on time so not sure why you didn’t pay it with your card like you normally would.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:32 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,240,667 times
Quote:
They are preventing us from setting up the accounts they changed.

Are they preventing you from writing a check? It isn't their fault you waited until the last possible minute to pay your rent, you can schedule payments in advance. It isn't their fault that you didn't have a back up plan to their optional online method. It isn't their fault you "forgot" and are late again.

You can try talking to them directly, I'd waive the first late fee assuming you paid it quickly after the issue occurred. As for the credit/debit fee, get used to it.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:32 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
This does sound like a gimmick the landlord is using to earn revenue from late fees or fees to use a cc. The fees sound extremely high to me. Everyone knows many millennials don’t write checks, some likely don’t even own them. This unscrupulous landlord may be taking advantage of the demographic living in his building.

I would read through the lease and see if he has listed the method of payment or see if he has broken the lease. If he has I would get a hold of a tenants advocate group or an attorney to plan your next move. If you are just late then he has got you.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:34 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,240,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
This does sound like a gimmick the landlord is using to earn revenue from late fees or fees to use a cc. The fees sound extremely high to me. Everyone knows many millennials don’t write checks, some likely don’t even own them. This unscrupulous landlord may be taking advantage of the demographic living in his building.

I would read through the lease and see if he has listed the method of payment or see if he has broken the lease. If he has I would get a hold of a tenants advocate group or an attorney to plan your next move. If you are just late then he has got you.
The landlord doesn't get to keep the processing fees, it always costs 2-3% to process a credit card. He has likely been paying the fees himself and decided not to do it anymore which is the right decision for every landlord to make.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:43 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Hello,

I would call the town or city or legal aid to find out what the laws are, he should give at least 30 days notice for a change like this with a warning, it sounds like he is trying to steal your money or he's trying to get people to get kicked out or move out.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:43 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,325,003 times
Quote:
Hello,

So many of us were paying using credit or debit cards. They stopped accepting those. But they didn't tell us. ACtually they will accept but we will be charged a $34 fee. But instead of charging us, they refused our payments. So now we are late. THey charge $100 for being late. In addition they refuse to allow us to resubmit our information. So then we have to wait and wait and wait before we can put our information in. This causes us to be late again because we forget They are preventing us from setting up the accounts they changed.

Yes, just do one thing, one important thing is to not forget to pay rent on time
Landlord does not owe you an accommodation of a convenient for you way to pay.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:56 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
..........THis causes us to be late again because we forget. ........

Yea. Well.............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting