Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 08:56 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times

Advertisements

No way I'd give my notice just to submit an application.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 10:01 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingdomJan View Post
My girlfriend and I recently found this nice apartment complex that we wanted to move into. The staff has been friendly and the apartment itself is just what we were looking for. Everything seemed to be going great—we looked to be meeting all the criteria for moving in—but then something odd happened that is making me pause. They recently told me that they cannot submit my application until I give a 30-Day notice to vacate my current location. I have never come across this before and I cannot seem to find anything on any forms about this subject. I asked what if for some reason we don’t qualify, and they told us that we could always back out of the 30 day notice, which, no. You can’t. So now I’m hesitating on this. Does anyone have any insight on the matter?
They’re doing it because most likely have dealt with applicants who applied went through the whole thing only to find out they can’t get out of their lease and have to start the over. I had applicants who went through the process only to find out they have two months left on their lease. I had one couple who I kid you not literally expected me to pull the property off the market and wait for them. 60 days. I told the guy I’ll gladly pull it off the market if he signs a lease and starts paying the rent.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:29 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,142,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The world is full of tenants who move out without giving notice or paying their last month's rent. I don't want those people as tenants and it is very common behavior.

I won't accept an applicant who has not given notice and who is not current on rent at their current residence. I want tenants who are responsible enough to let their landlord know that they are planning on moving, not tenants who are planning on securing a new place and then doing a midnight move-out. I don't want tenants who are breaking a lease without making arrangements with their landlord to do it.

OP, if you don't like the requirements where you are applying, back away and go apply somewhere else.

So you are requesting potential tenant to basically take a risk that they will become homeless just to apply. That is extremely irresponsible and shortsighted. As long as tenant have good credit score etc should be enough to satisfy the application requirement. That is also why you should be requesting first month/last month and security deposit. In the event that tenant does do midnight move out, you will have their last month and that is really all you can expect to have. Anything else and you will need to sue them.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:30 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,142,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
They’re doing it because most likely have dealt with applicants who applied went through the whole thing only to find out they can’t get out of their lease and have to start the over. I had applicants who went through the process only to find out they have two months left on their lease. I had one couple who I kid you not literally expected me to pull the property off the market and wait for them. 60 days. I told the guy I’ll gladly pull it off the market if he signs a lease and starts paying the rent.

Unless your place is overpriced based on current market rate, you should have multiple applicants. Just offer it to the next one, that should not be a big deal.

Old 06-23-2019, 12:28 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Unless your place is overpriced based on current market rate, you should have multiple applicants. Just offer it to the next one, that should not be a big deal.
Where did I say I had no other applicants? It wasn’t a big deal for me. I was giving a instance where a applicant has absurd demands.

I simply moved on. Lots of applicants were declined usually based on low credit or insufficient income. Which is pretty normal. My acceptance policy isn’t much different than anyone else’s. My rents are a tad lower than going rate.
Those applicants wanted the place but they had not given notice, they had two months left on their lease, we’re getting married and he wanted me to simply pull the unit off the market, sign a lease but no payment until they were ready to move in. Which was two months away. So they expected me to basically lose two months of rent. I had it rented a week later to a guy coming out from Texas. Guy sent payments in advance even though he wasn’t moving in for a month.

Old 06-23-2019, 07:18 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
No way I'd give my notice just to submit an application.
No kidding. Also, I'd take that as a sign that the LL had no intention of cleaning the unit before I moved in. Seems to me a reasonable LL would allow some wiggle room for transition time.

BTW, I've never stiffed a LL. And my rental history shows it.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:01 PM

7,044 posts, read 6,295,966 times
I let my old landlord in Minnesota know I was planning on moving to a warmer climate and I would give adequate notice.

It just turned out that everything aligned. I found the apartment in Arizona, put down a partial deposit and by the time I got back to Minnesota, I was approved. It was before the end of the month and I was able to give my landlord plenty of notice.

It turned out I even gave then a few free days as I had to get to the new apartment by September 1 or wait til after the holiday.

I got to the Arizona office a few hours before they closed for the weekend. It was a win-win for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting