Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 08:02 PM

497 posts, read 422,963 times

Advertisements

We rent a unit that already has a satellite dish fastened to our balcony when we moved in. We never used it and had no interest to pay for the service.

New LL purchased this building a couple of years ago and while we were away visiting family during the weekend, they posted a letter outside our door so anyone walking down the hallway could read the letter.

It is a hostile letter to remove the satellite dish as it is not part of the lease and if they have to remove it for us, considered as non-compliance there will be a charge and failure to do so may result in legal action to terminate tenancy.

First of all, we never installed the damn thing. This LL is a new owner, why assume it was us who installed it and why such threats?
They could have used different tone in their letter, instead of being so hostile.

In general, I find most LL issue hostile letters and we take it as a threat. There is no need for that and how would you handle this situation?

We have notified the Super. that we did not install satellite dish as he should know because he cleaned the unit before we moved in and had him remove it immediately since we do not have the tools or the strength to remove it.

The letter is very strong tone. Do we just let it roll off our back or do we reply to it? If we reply, we do fear this would further bring more attention to us, then the LL would bully us that we would get evicted (new LL increase the rent to new tenants by 25%) as we have suffered this experience in the past at previous place.

If you have experienced similar situation, please share and how did you handle it, and what was the result?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 08:13 PM

3,576 posts, read 2,198,159 times
The new landlord did not know. He is trying to be firm, to set his policy in place. I would send him an email letting him know you never put the dish in, it was there when you moved in. But it has been removed. That’s it I would not worry anymore about it.

Old 07-02-2019, 10:59 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Well IF this is how the new owner going to behave. I suggest you Move when lease ends.

Old 07-02-2019, 11:14 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
I'd respond in writing in whatever way is necessary to prove you sent the letter. If they normally use e-mail, then that's good enough. If not, then use regular mail with proof of delivery.

I'd just write to them that you never installed anything, that anything that's currently installed was done so before you moved in, and if they choose to charge you for any fees related to anything a previous tenant did, that you would be defending yourself in court.

Old 07-03-2019, 02:11 AM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
The new landlord did not know. He is trying to be firm, to set his policy in place. I would send him an email letting him know you never put the dish in, it was there when you moved in. But it has been removed. That’s it I would not worry anymore about it.
This. Just because you didn't like the tone of a letter doesn't mean you need to escalate this. Unless you WANT a confrontation. That will assure you get the focused unwelcome attention you said you fear. You don't know this new LL and they don't know you. Why start off on the wrong foot? I would respond in a courteous manner, set the record straight, present any evidence that the dish was there when you arrived (such as referring them to the Super), remove the dish or request help to do so and diffuse the situation. You have nothing to lose by being diplomatic here.

Old 07-03-2019, 05:45 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Grow up and remove the dish.

Sure you can cry and whine that it’s not yours, but you’ll have to prove that and remove it anyway.

His letter was harsh? No, it was straight forward and to the point.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:43 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,908,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontobase View Post

We have notified the Super. that we did not install satellite dish as he should know because he cleaned the unit before we moved in and had him remove it immediately since we do not have the tools or the strength to remove it.

It's already removed.

Ignore the letter and stop whining.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:50 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,457,038 times
Buy your own place. That way you don't have to worry about the "tone" or being asked to remove something from the property.

Last edited by emotiioo; 07-03-2019 at 10:04 AM..

Old 07-03-2019, 11:12 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Buy your own place. That way you don't have to worry about the "tone" or being asked to remove something from the property.
Never lived somewhere with an HOA have you?

But I'd be inclined to ask what it would take to get rid of it. If its a few screws and bolts why make a mountain out of a molehill?

If it looks difficult or like it could damage your unit or someone else's send a letter and tell him, "It's not ours, it was on the property when we moved here. You're welcome to remove it, or I can borrow Cousin Eddy's Sawzall and do it myself "

Old 07-03-2019, 01:08 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Simple. He has no idea who installed it. Simply send a letter back stating you did not install it and it was there when you moved in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting