Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2019, 03:36 PM

1 posts, read 535 times

Advertisements

So, I moved into an apartment a year ago with two roommates, only one of which had a job. The entire time we remained on our lease and in the apartment, only two of us had steady jobs. Now, said roommates want to move out...however, I do not. With my two jobs and consistent pay, I would like to stay in the apartment and sign the lease again. They do not and quite frankly, will not sign the lease again. My question is, in order for me to resign the lease, will I have to pay for another deposit and application to stay in the apartment? I have read a lot of conflicting answers and desperately need to know how this will work, any advice will help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 03:46 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
I would think you'd need to talk to the property manager. When my daughter had a similar situation the deposit was in the names of both renters and she had to come up with the 'other half' when the roommate left, but there was no second application fee. I would imagine the policy varies from one company to another.

Old 08-06-2019, 05:02 PM

357 posts, read 247,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsksten17 View Post
So, I moved into an apartment a year ago with two roommates, only one of which had a job. The entire time we remained on our lease and in the apartment, only two of us had steady jobs. Now, said roommates want to move out...however, I do not. With my two jobs and consistent pay, I would like to stay in the apartment and sign the lease again. They do not and quite frankly, will not sign the lease again. My question is, in order for me to resign the lease, will I have to pay for another deposit and application to stay in the apartment? I have read a lot of conflicting answers and desperately need to know how this will work, any advice will help.
You alone may not qualify by yourself, it depends on your income and the rental rate. Perhaps consider switching to another (smaller) unit, or get new roommates. They would likely treat it like a brand new lease either way since the others don’t want to be on the new contract. So, you may have to pay another deposit (but would get the other back soon enough) but maybe not another app fee. Just talk to the office people and tell them your concerns with enough time to get it handled before your lease is up.

Old 08-06-2019, 05:23 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,896,476 times
Quote:
My question is, in order for me to resign the lease, will I have to pay for another deposit and application to stay in the apartment?

The only place to get an answer to that is in the manager's office.

My advice, however, is get into a smaller apartment that you can afford on your own and avoid roommates like the plague. You already see what kind of trouble you get when you all can't agree on something. It only gets worse.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:20 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,776,759 times
Quote:
The cleanest way to do this is to have the apartment inspected, have the security deposit returned to the current tenants, and start a new lease in your name with your own new full security deposit. That way, if there are damages or deductions, you won't get left holding the bag, and your departing roommates are out of the lease entirely.

Old 08-06-2019, 08:34 PM

784 posts, read 728,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
the cleanest way to do this is to have the apartment inspected, have the security deposit returned to the current tenants, and start a new lease in your name with your own new full security deposit. That way, if there are damages or deductions, you won't get left holding the bag, and your departing roommates are out of the lease entirely.
+1.

Old 08-07-2019, 04:30 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Now, said roommates want to move out... however, I do not.
With my two jobs and consistent pay, I would like to stay in the apartment and sign the lease again.
Okay. Do that. What does the landlord say about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting