Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 05:04 PM

6 posts, read 2,538 times

Advertisements

The refrigerator in the rental property I lease will not keep ice cream cold enough to remain solid. It will not make ice the majority of the time. One week it will, ext week it will not. The repair man came out said the refrigerator needed a thermostat or some other part and never returned.2months ago.
My garage was stuck in the up position. Not the remote problem but the the door was off track. Terrified me to death with it being up because the laundry room door is right there and my garage is in the back of the property where there is a creek. Snakes all the time. I requested over a month to have someone come out. After a while we pulled it down as much as we could just for a sense of safety. Finally a person comes out and was able to pull it completely down and told me they would report to the management that the actual door is the problem and they should send someone out to repair it. 2 months later, I am still waiting. We had to force the door back open in order to get our lawnmower out. Now it's stuck again 3/4 down. I have sent letters and submitted work orders many times. They claimed just last week that they were in the process of transitioning and someone would come out. I told them I would file a breach of contract on the 16th if I did not get someone out to repair this garage and refrigerator. I can't and have not been able to use the garage for MONTHS. I drive a sports car and would like to have it in the garage. I pay rent for a two car garage. I don;t have that right now. Any suggestions on what other steps to take other than taking them to court?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 08:42 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,157,269 times
Nope. They've breached the contract. Obviously, they give zero Effs what you do. Sue them.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:25 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipito View Post
Nope. They've breached the contract. Obviously, they give zero Effs what you do. Sue them.
Yup. Also, make plans to move.

Old 09-14-2019, 07:28 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,190,478 times
Send a written letter regarding all your past requests with dates in writing to management company asking again to make the repairs now. Send it certified so you get a receipt signed by them that they received it and have been formally notified. This is something someone would do prior to sueing. Hopefully they recognize that and get it done. Then I would maybe contact code enforcement in city. Some states the remedy for something's are to get it fixed yourself and deduct cost from rent. But check out what is legal for your state first.

As for the frig. It is probably more expensive ti repair than to replace.

Old 09-14-2019, 08:28 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys1963 View Post
The refrigerator in the rental property I lease will not keep ice cream cold enough to remain solid.
It will not make ice the majority of the time.
Any suggestions on what other steps to take other than taking them to court?
Is any part of this tale of woe in writing?
That would make it easier but it's fair to say you're due a working refrigerator.
Not necessarily a new one... but a working unit for sure.

Old 09-15-2019, 06:19 PM

289 posts, read 224,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Is any part of this tale of woe in writing?
That would make it easier but it's fair to say you're due a working refrigerator.
Not necessarily a new one... but a working unit for sure.
Does your lease include non-built in appliances? The leases I have with my tenants state that I am responsible for providing repair and/or replacement of built in appliances but, even though I provide a w/d and refrigerator with the house, if they stop working, I am not responsible for replacement or repair. As a matter of policy, I will repair these appliances unless I have a tenant that had abused the appliance or is a PIA in general. So I would first look to your lease to see what the LL is responsible for then, if the LL is responsible for the repair you are requesting, send a CMRRR letter to the PM.

Unfortunately, when you get a LL that won’t or can’t repair something, you don’t have a ton of choices except put up with it, repair it yourself or move. Legal action against a LL is usually not a great idea unless the issue is particular egregious.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:03 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Time to move.

Myself, if I absolutely could not get the landlord to repair the garage door, I'd hire someone myself to fix it so I could use the garage. I wouldn't sit around complaining for months on end and go online complaining to people who can't help me. I'd want to use my garage, so I'd get it fixed.

Yes, your landlord should fix it, but apparently he isn't going to do it.

Putting the garage door back on the track is an easy job. Have you even looked at it to see if you can do it yourself?

From the landlord's point of view, garage doors do not just fall off the tracks, so I suspect you did something to damage the door. But, still, the landlord should fix it. If the landlord does fix it, you might get billed for it, so you are no further behind to call the repair guy out yourself and pay him.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:49 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,142,560 times
Send certified letter to landlord and make sure to include cc to safety and building department of your city. They will quickly start fixing issues as last thing they want is to have city on them. Remember that when city comes out do building inspection, they do not care why they were called there, they will make landlord fix every single issue that they find. If inspector is in not having a good day, he/she will be so picky that half of the building might need to fixed as it will be done by the book.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:54 AM

911 posts, read 2,599,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys1963 View Post
The refrigerator in the rental property I lease will not keep ice cream cold enough to remain solid. It will not make ice the majority of the time. One week it will, ext week it will not. The repair man came out said the refrigerator needed a thermostat or some other part and never returned.2months ago.
My garage was stuck in the up position. Not the remote problem but the the door was off track. Terrified me to death with it being up because the laundry room door is right there and my garage is in the back of the property where there is a creek. Snakes all the time. I requested over a month to have someone come out. After a while we pulled it down as much as we could just for a sense of safety. Finally a person comes out and was able to pull it completely down and told me they would report to the management that the actual door is the problem and they should send someone out to repair it. 2 months later, I am still waiting. We had to force the door back open in order to get our lawnmower out. Now it's stuck again 3/4 down. I have sent letters and submitted work orders many times. They claimed just last week that they were in the process of transitioning and someone would come out. I told them I would file a breach of contract on the 16th if I did not get someone out to repair this garage and refrigerator. I can't and have not been able to use the garage for MONTHS. I drive a sports car and would like to have it in the garage. I pay rent for a two car garage. I don;t have that right now. Any suggestions on what other steps to take other than taking them to court?

get ahold of local news call for action line ,they shame people into fixing things

Old 09-30-2019, 05:06 PM

6 posts, read 2,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Time to move.

Myself, if I absolutely could not get the landlord to repair the garage door, I'd hire someone myself to fix it so I could use the garage. I wouldn't sit around complaining for months on end and go online complaining to people who can't help me. I'd want to use my garage, so I'd get it fixed.

Yes, your landlord should fix it, but apparently he isn't going to do it.

Putting the garage door back on the track is an easy job. Have you even looked at it to see if you can do it yourself?

From the landlord's point of view, garage doors do not just fall off the tracks, so I suspect you did something to damage the door. But, still, the landlord should fix it. If the landlord does fix it, you might get billed for it, so you are no further behind to call the repair guy out yourself and pay him.
Thanks for your take on the matter. Are you a landlord who would treat a tenant the same way? If it were as simple as putting it back on track the first person they sent out could have done that. It is the actual track and the door that is the problem. Always has been. Cost over $500.00 bucks to repair from my understanding.

Finally had a refrigerator repairman after 4 appointment he did not show up for. He finally show's up trying to joke with me. He changed something and the refrigerator is still not working properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting