Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 10:53 AM

3,942 posts, read 2,341,086 times

Advertisements

I am considering purchasing a property but one of the tenants in this property..., well, er uh.....he's a registered sex offender I asked neighbors some general questions not specific to this guy. They seem to think he's a stand up guy. Gainfully employed and pays his rent on time. The owner let it slip about his situation. His advice is after his lease is up, give him his notice. I am surprisingly conflicted. Just soliciting opinions. Any response is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 11:08 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,116,397 times
Curious as to what "general" questions you asked the neighbors that would solicit specific responses about this individual?

Old 09-18-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Curious as to what "general" questions you asked the neighbors that would solicit specific responses about this individual?
Ok, I'll play along. I asked a couple neighbors about any problems with the tenants. All responses came back, "none at all." The upstairs and downstairs tenants seem to go to work and come home. Quiet and respectful was the general consensus. No weekend, wild parties. Nothing. Both tenants been there 5 months. The neighborhood is close to a university and the numbers line up perfectly.

Old 09-18-2019, 11:21 AM

1,315 posts, read 1,155,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
I am considering purchasing a property but one of the tenants in this property..., well, er uh.....he's a registered sex offender I asked neighbors some general questions not specific to this guy. They seem to think he's a stand up guy. Gainfully employed and pays his rent on time. The owner let it slip about his situation. His advice is after his lease is up, give him his notice. I am surprisingly conflicted. Just soliciting opinions. Any response is appreciated.
It should be public information as to what his crime was. There's a wide range that would require registration and I'd find that out before passing judgment.

Old 09-18-2019, 11:24 AM

8,885 posts, read 5,366,263 times
I take it the neighbors aren't aware of his sex offender status?

Old 09-18-2019, 11:27 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,236,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipito View Post
It should be public information as to what his crime was. There's a wide range that would require registration and I'd find that out before passing judgment.
Yeah, that. If he was 18 and had a 16yo girlfriend, that's one thing.

That said, I have 3 kids so heck to the no.

Old 09-18-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
I take it the neighbors aren't aware of his sex offender status?
That would be my guess. I didn't bring it up so who knows.

Old 09-18-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipito View Post
That's good advice there. I'll do some digging.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:47 PM

6,556 posts, read 8,384,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
For clarification, you would continue to use this property as a rental?

Frankly, it depends on his offenses. Off the cuff, I'd say treat it from a business perspective - if he obeys the law and the terms of his release and is a good or great tenant, I would be inclined to keep him as a tenant. But if his offenses are heinous, I'd not even want to do business with someone like that and would not renew his lease.

Old 09-19-2019, 06:01 AM

Well the charge was indecent assault. Can't keep his hands to himself. I am going to close on this property and keep it cash flowing. However, I am going to monitor this tenant like I would anyone else. Leaning towards keeping him around. I've only heard good things aside from his transgression. We'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting