Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 11:30 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiko1012 View Post
Thank you so much for your input. I have some text messages between myself & the manager about the cat being ok & also about the lease being remade. I don’t know how to upload it here. I actually took a day off just so I can sign it today if they need me to. The manager is a nice guy but the supervisor is being extremely difficult. I talked to her briefly, she keeps telling me she’s busy doing something, I let her know it’s an emergency. She told me to text her. I included the messages between myself & the manager, she is not responding. She does not answer my calls either.

The apt is under LB PROPERTY MANAGEMENT.

I am currently absolutely losing my mind over this. It would have been fine if it was just me but I have my 64 year old mother with me & I can’t just let her sleep on the streets. We don’t have anywhere to go.
Let me ask this: You said the "No Pet" was written on the lease in ink; did you initial or sign next to that notation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2019, 07:33 AM

9 posts, read 4,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You saw that the lease said no pets and you signed it anyway.

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. Maybe you should have come here and asked before you signed and every one of us would have told you to not sign until they made the modification on the lease so that it said your cat was allowed.

Now you have a signed contract that says no pets. They can make you get rid of the cat.

Maybe you could hire a lawyer and have the lawyer send them a letter, politely and vaguely threatening. Sometimes that works. People tend to respect legal letterhead.

But, end of story, you screwed yourself.
Hello & thank you. I did let the manager know that I can take the day off & finish signing on Monday. He told me that if I did not sign, I will have to give him back the keys. Unfortunately, I already moved out of my previous apt & surrendered the keys. All tenants in my previous apt received a 60 day notice to vacate the premises. Due to desperation, I couldn’t help but sign. I was assured that it will be remade. In short, I escaped a troublesome situation from my previous apt & got myself into another one.

I and my neighbors at the previous apt thought that we would be given relocation assistance but that was not the case. My neighbors even contacted lawyers & went to city hall. We were informed by one of the lawyers we consulted that my previous apt seems to have hired a really good lawyer that knew loopholes which allowed them to increase the rent every two months at almost 30% each time. I was originally paying around $1400 just 4 months ago then it was increased to almost $1700 then almost $1900. That apt was brought by Empire West Group and is not under rent control. They also bought the empty lot right next to it. There was a notice that the empty lot will be turned into a new apt complex.

UPDATE: The supervisor allowed us to sleep at the new apt tonight. No idea what would happen from here. I forwarded to her the texts between myself & the manager about the cat and also about the lease being remade. My mother has been depressed since yesterday & has broken out in hives due to stress. I don’t think she slept at all. She just keeps wiping the floors. She was at it at 4 AM and still at it right now (6 AM). She was just at Kaiser’s ER about a couple weeks ago & while there she had an anxiety attack which led to them not being able to draw blood. Her condition was improving after we gave the new apt the deposit & advance. She thought our apt troubles are now over but that is not the case. Thanks again for your time & please provide me with any advise that might help.

Old 10-22-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Let me ask this: You said the "No Pet" was written on the lease in ink; did you initial or sign next to that notation?
Not next to it. The lease is 26-27 pages long. There are two pages of PET ADDENDUM. The first page has things about additional rent for a pet & also a pet deposit. There is also a pet area below where you provide info about your pet. A huge NO PETS was written on this page. The second page is where we were told to sign. Right under where it says “I accept financial responsibility for the entire amount of any damages or injury to persons or property that may occur because of my pet.”

We had to print our name, put the date (10/20), and sign it.

I told the manager that I should write my pet info on the first page but he said I should not because this part of the lease will be remade for the cat & that I can re-do it the next day. Due to that, I contacted my supervisor & asked for a day off.

Old 10-22-2019, 11:35 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Here is some advice for not only this situation, but for the future as well, do not sign anything unless you agree and/or are ok with all terms.
Exactly. I read EVERY SINGLE WORD of the lease I signed for my current apartment, and clarified anything I didn't understand with my landlord before inning or initialling any part of it.

I also have a cat and simply didn't even inquire into any places that said no pets. Made apartment hunting a lot simpler. If this place is a complex they should have a website that spells out whether they accept pets or not.

Old 10-22-2019, 11:42 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,241,251 times
Bring your mom's cat to the new apartment while you figure this out. If you signed that you accept responsibility on that second page, I think that covers you enough. Your poor mom needs her companion.

Old 10-22-2019, 12:01 PM

438 posts, read 376,870 times
It sounds like your apartment complex in one of many that the management looks over. It's possible they use the same leases for all the apartments they manage, but when individual landlords that actually owns the property doesn't allow pets they are supposed to adapt it for that individual complexe.

This could be why the first employee thought it was okay and the supervisor said no; the employee probably thought all the complexes were pet friendly but the individual apartment you moved into wasn't one of them, hence the "modified" lease. Check to see if in any of the advertising of the apartment it says NO PETS. I would also follow through with the supervisor or maybe ask a neighbor what they know about the pet situation. If the advertisement clearly states no pets your out of luck; same if advertising doesn't mention anything but the supervisor or landlord still say no.

My question is did you pay extra deposit for the pet? Or do you pay a bit extra for pet rent? If so and its clear that's the reason for the higher deposit (not simply to move in quicker or to cover lower qualifying standards) then you could have wiggle room to at least get a refund and find a new place. But you need to make sure the deposit has itemized the pet deposit and start looking now for apartments that are 100% clear on their pet policy.

Last edited by musicfamly5; 10-22-2019 at 12:10 PM..

Old 10-22-2019, 12:25 PM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Bring your mom's cat to the new apartment while you figure this out. If you signed that you accept responsibility on that second page, I think that covers you enough. Your poor mom needs her companion.

Yes move the cat in & see if they will modify the lease. Good luck.

Old 10-22-2019, 03:24 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Get it declared an emotional support animal.
BZZZZT! Wrong answer! Do not pass Go, do not collect $100. Worst possible suggestion!

Old 10-22-2019, 03:38 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiko1012 View Post
Not next to it. The lease is 26-27 pages long. There are two pages of PET ADDENDUM. The first page has things about additional rent for a pet & also a pet deposit. There is also a pet area below where you provide info about your pet. A huge NO PETS was written on this page. The second page is where we were told to sign. Right under where it says “I accept financial responsibility for the entire amount of any damages or injury to persons or property that may occur because of my pet.”

We had to print our name, put the date (10/20), and sign it.

I told the manager that I should write my pet info on the first page but he said I should not because this part of the lease will be remade for the cat & that I can re-do it the next day. Due to that, I contacted my supervisor & asked for a day off.
Again, did you initial or sign next to the ink notation of "no cats" or did you sign the standard pre-printed pet addendum's acknowledgment page?

Now you said it was two pages, did you have to initial, sign or write on each page in your own handwriting, or, was it only the last page that you had to write or sign anything and did that last page have any notation (pre-printed or in ink) that there were no pets allowed?

Old 10-22-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Exactly. I read EVERY SINGLE WORD of the lease I signed for my current apartment, and clarified anything I didn't understand with my landlord before inning or initialling any part of it.

I also have a cat and simply didn't even inquire into any places that said no pets. Made apartment hunting a lot simpler. If this place is a complex they should have a website that spells out whether they accept pets or not.
Hello & thank you. I went to LA RENTALS before & they helped me find apartments that accepts pets. I was considering renting one of their properties because my coworker rents an apartment under them & all seems to be good.

I ended up getting this apartment because it’s a block away from the subway station & because the manager said it was ok to bring the cat. If he told me that pets are not allowed, I would not be stuck in this situation because I would not have taken the unit. That’s why I refused to give a deposit & an advance until he confirmed that it was fine. The cat is more important than my commute.

The LBPM website does not mention if the property is pet friendly or if they do not accept pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting