Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 06:54 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,908,150 times

Advertisements

My two cents worth: You'd have to be nuts to rent out a room in your house to anyone under any circumstances, much less the circumstances you describe.

My prediction: The arrangement will blow up in your face and you'll be worse off than you are now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2019, 11:29 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
Just this: DONT RENT TO FRIENDS.

Old 12-09-2019, 04:14 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,601,354 times
Honestly, I might look at getting another formal part-time job. Not something I particulary want to do, but it will help me put some financial cushion back under me. I really don't have a choice as far as I can see--I either rent out the room or try to drum up more work on the side.

Old 12-09-2019, 05:16 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
Honestly, I might look at getting another formal part-time job. Not something I particulary want to do, but it will help me put some financial cushion back under me. I really don't have a choice as far as I can see--I either rent out the room or try to drum up more work on the side.
Go for the job. It’s easier for you to get a new job than it is for you to evict a crappy tenant.

Old 12-13-2019, 08:04 AM

486 posts, read 416,428 times
I'm confused. At one point you say you have a spare bedroom, and at another point you say this place only has one bedroom and you'll have to share. So do you have two bedrooms so you could each have your own private bedroom? Is the spare bedroom actually a bedroom you just haven't been using as such?

As stated, screen very thoroughly (background and credit), be very strict about who you bring in, do month-to-month. Even with month-to-month, it will take time (usually at least a couple months) to get someone out if they're really a problem. Have a roommate agreement in addition to the lease (or at least include it in the lease) so it's clear what's allowed, what's not, food, dishes, smoking, pets, visitors, storing things, parking, etc.

Old 12-13-2019, 09:10 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,601,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLinVA View Post
I'm confused. At one point you say you have a spare bedroom, and at another point you say this place only has one bedroom and you'll have to share. So do you have two bedrooms so you could each have your own private bedroom? Is the spare bedroom actually a bedroom you just haven't been using as such?

As stated, screen very thoroughly (background and credit), be very strict about who you bring in, do month-to-month. Even with month-to-month, it will take time (usually at least a couple months) to get someone out if they're really a problem. Have a roommate agreement in addition to the lease (or at least include it in the lease) so it's clear what's allowed, what's not, food, dishes, smoking, pets, visitors, storing things, parking, etc.
2 bedrooms, but only one bathroom.

Old 12-13-2019, 09:12 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
Are you close enough to a med school or hospital that has interns/med students to make this a realistic option? They will want a short commute. If so, you also need to understand when the school terms start/finish and adjust your expectations accordingly.

Old 12-13-2019, 11:30 AM

7,134 posts, read 4,540,768 times
If you rent to a graduate student they won’t be home much. They tend to be older. People rent out rooms all the time.

Old 12-13-2019, 01:20 PM

492 posts, read 487,129 times
Try hosting through AirBNB for a while and see if you like somebody living in your home and if you can adjust well. If things go well, then you can rent the room out on long term basis. Sometimes you may end up earning more through short term renting by Airbnb than having a tenant of your own. Plus you will have your own days when you have the whole apartment to yourself.

Old 12-13-2019, 01:26 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin100 View Post
Try hosting through AirBNB for a while and see if you like somebody living in your home and if you can adjust well. If things go well, then you can rent the room out on long term basis. Sometimes you may end up earning more through short term renting by Airbnb than having a tenant of your own. Plus you will have your own days when you have the whole apartment to yourself.
This is a good idea. Especially if there's room for a dorm refrigerator and a hotplate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting