Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 06:31 PM

483 posts, read 624,414 times

Advertisements

I am currently waiting to see what affect this crisis will have on my currents tenants ability to pay their rent before I seek out any help. But just wondering if any other landlords have applied for a forbearance on their rental properties mortgage? Anyone denied help,... why?

My lender is offering 3 months forbearance with possible extension if needed. I have sufficient emergency funds and hope to not need any help if this covid19 virus diminishes in the next few months.

God bless!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2020, 09:30 PM

681 posts, read 2,800,801 times
There have been reports of some banks not exactly giving a break like it seems.

Yes they offer a 3 month forbearance, but in the 4th month the bank is demanding all 3 months back pay plus the 4th month. Which basically is no help. Specifically this is what is happening to some customers at Bank of America:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/27/bank...t-to-know.html

Best to talk with your bank for your personal situation and get clarification on just exactly what is being offered before you apply.

Old 03-30-2020, 11:35 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I wouldn't ask for it unless desperate. The interest still accrues and there are probably going to be fees involved. It makes much more economic sense to keep paying the mortgage on time.

Old 03-30-2020, 12:20 PM

Yes it makes sense to keep payments on time. Its not much help if they hit you for the full amount at the end of 3 months.

Paying the interest only for awhile would be a big help for people strugling.

Thanks for the replies!

Old 03-30-2020, 04:29 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,227,675 times
My property manager hasn't notified me that my tenant is having any problems, so hopefully I don't need it. Even if my tenant does have problems paying, I probably would just suck it up and continue paying. Thankfully, I'm in a position where I can do that, no matter how painful it would be.

Old 03-30-2020, 04:32 PM

1,462 posts, read 973,618 times
I haven't heard from any of my tenants telling me they can't make April payments, so I plan to keep on paying. Even if any are unable to pay their rent in full I will continue to pay as normal. I just hope that tenants don't just think they can not pay since some of the big store/restaurants are telling their landlords they will not pay their rent.

Old 03-31-2020, 06:27 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
I checked online and if I'm not mistaken it said they would only help if you are out of work due to coronavirus, maybe that's just for regular mortgage holders that own a home and not for investors.

Old 03-31-2020, 08:54 AM

838 posts, read 555,197 times
I'm a landlord. The wife is no longer working due to COVID19 as her place of business has closed. The husband is still employed but his hours were cut in half. He works for the city so I suspect he may be furloughed soon. The wife should be eligible for unemployment insurance plus $600 more a week in emergency federal compensation. In addition they will be receiving the max stimulus amount because they make less than $150K combined. The stimulus check alone would pay 2 months of rent.

I have agreed to accept their rent in two payments (1st and 15th) but I see no reason, on the surface, why they cannot pay their rent at least for the next 2 months. They say I am their "first priority". We'll see.

Yes, I did apply for a mortgage forbearance just in case I need it. I am still waiting on mortgage company to accept/deny but if accepted, it will be used as a last resort. I don't have a federally backed mortgage and my mortgage company are *****h&%$s so I'm betting they deny me because my loan type is not covered under The Care Act.

Although it will hurt my budget, I can cover the mortgage on my salary - which I thankfully still have. So at the end of the day, I can't complain because I know there are so many others out there that have bigger issues than I do.

Old 03-31-2020, 01:04 PM

The mortgage company my rental loan is through states that if you do not have sufficient savings to make mortgage payment you can apply for a forbearance. I know that I am jumping ahead because I too have not heard anything from my PM about my tenants job situation.

Even if they're collecting unemployment I believe they could afford to pay at least 75% of the monthly rent payment, which would be more than enough for me to keep my payments up without dipping into my emergency fund.

Hope this all ends soon and life gets back to somewhat normal for all of us!

BE SAFE!

Old 03-31-2020, 01:17 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
I believe it's for the loans that are fha-Fannie Mae that are included in this recent turn of events.

I only invested once in the landlord matrix.
It was with the understanding that it was additional income. That I could make payment on my investment whether it was occupied or not. I didn't risk my credit .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting