Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 05:16 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chala95 View Post
Yes a lawyer, like i said someone who s familiar with the law, and i am not looking for legal advice from a community forum!!
Why don’t you talk to your landlord? You don’t have a legal case. You have a kid playing in his home; hardly court room worthy.

Just like you have the right to live in your unit, so does that child. Remember, he’s quarantined just like you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 07:44 PM

16 posts, read 6,105 times
Hi,

I have been having the same problem with my upstairs neighbor. He must be working from home because he almost never goes out anymore. He used to be gone the entire day and would often go out on weekends. Now, I hear him walking around throughout the day and well into the night. Back and forth, back and forth. All day long. Sometimes l still hear him walking around past midnight and it starts all over again at like 8 in the morning! You would think he would need more sleep with all the walking around he does. The other day l had my patio door open and l could hear him printing for hours (his door must have been open too because it was a warm day). It did not stop until well after dark. Like, is he printing a novel? Made no sense but it was so annoying. Then the kicker is his cooking. I noticed that he eats dinner late. The other night there was this overwhelming smell of mustard. I have no idea what he making but it was potent. I could go on and on but you get my point. He is driving me crazy. I am just praying that he goes back to work soon and l get some peace and quiet. There's no chance of him moving or getting kicked out because he owns his unit. I might just have to move to another unit if this continues.

Old 05-11-2020, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billp79 View Post
Hi,

I have been having the same problem with my upstairs neighbor. He must be working from home because he almost never goes out anymore. He used to be gone the entire day and would often go out on weekends. Now, I hear him walking around throughout the day and well into the night. Back and forth, back and forth. All day long. Sometimes l still hear him walking around past midnight and it starts all over again at like 8 in the morning! You would think he would need more sleep with all the walking around he does. The other day l had my patio door open and l could hear him printing for hours (his door must have been open too because it was a warm day). It did not stop until well after dark. Like, is he printing a novel? Made no sense but it was so annoying. Then the kicker is his cooking. I noticed that he eats dinner late. The other night there was this overwhelming smell of mustard. I have no idea what he making but it was potent. I could go on and on but you get my point. He is driving me crazy. I am just praying that he goes back to work soon and l get some peace and quiet. There's no chance of him moving or getting kicked out because he owns his unit. I might just have to move to another unit if this continues.
Why would he get kicked for living in his unit? Nothing, and I repeat, NOTHING your neighbor is doing is considered ‘wrong’.

Sounds like you need a break from your quarantine. Go for a walk, go for a drive, chill the heck out... he isn’t driving you crazy, you are driving yourself crazy.

Why don’t you get a job so you can be gone all day?? Lots of place are hiring during this pandemic

Old 05-11-2020, 08:21 PM

11 posts, read 4,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Why don’t you talk to your landlord? You don’t have a legal case. You have a kid playing in his home; hardly court room worthy.
Because i want to familiarize myself with the law before i speak to anyone!
Quote:
Hi,

You can hear the printer? I would think the results of his culinary skills would rise to the above floors and not get sucked back downstairs. Make sure if you do apartments ever again that it is a top floor or concrete block ceilings, walls etc. My lease is coming up and as soon as this mess is behind us i am going to leave so i am not stressed out. Your lucky its only one person imagine a couple with a small child.

Old 05-11-2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Why would he get kicked for living in his unit? Nothing, and I repeat, NOTHING your neighbor is doing is considered ‘wrong’.

Sounds like you need a break from your quarantine. Go for a walk, go for a drive, chill the heck out... he isn’t driving you crazy, you are driving yourself crazy.

Why don’t you get a job so you can be gone all day?? Lots of place are hiring during this pandemic
I have been living here for 15 years. He just moved in a couple years ago. I have not even mentioned the other annoyances like flushing the toilet late at night. The only recent positive development is at least he is not showering and making a racket at 6am when he was working. At least then he would leave and l would have peace all day. Do not even get me started on his weekend routine. Multiple loads of laundry and vacuuming guaranteed.

Old 05-11-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Because i want to familiarize myself with the law before i speak to anyone!

You can hear the printer? I would think the results of his culinary skills would rise to the above floors and not get sucked back downstairs. Make sure if you do apartments ever again that it is a top floor or concrete block ceilings, walls etc. My lease is coming up and as soon as this mess is behind us i am going to leave so i am not stressed out. Your lucky its only one person imagine a couple with a small child.
Hi Chala95,

I did hear his printer but to be fair that was only because l had my patio door open. Inevitably he did too and it sounded like his printer was practically on his deck. The food is usually faint at worst but the mustard smell was really powerful. I guarantee other neighbors smelled it too. I hope your living situation improves soon. This really sucks. I cannot imagine multiple people upstairs. This guy alone makes a maddening amount of noise.

Old 05-11-2020, 10:56 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
I have been living here for 15 years. He just moved in a couple years ago. I have not even mentioned the other annoyances like flushing the toilet late at night. The only recent positive development is at least he is not showering and making a racket at 6am when he was working. At least then he would leave and l would have peace all day. Do not even get me started on his weekend routine. Multiple loads of laundry and vacuuming guaranteed.
Since you hear him all day, that must mean you're home all day too.

Do you sit in a corner all day?

Or are you also walking around your apartment, cooking, and hopefully cleaning? It sounds like he's just going about his life like normal, nothing out of the ordinary, and nothing that you're probably not doing yourself.

Old 05-12-2020, 06:08 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,761,356 times
Quote:
Just be thankful your current neighbors are quiet. Dealing with homeowners is worse than dealing with fellow tenants.
Really? I have to disagree with you here Kim. I’m 40 years old. I have been renting for 20 years. Half those years have been in apartments and the other half have been in rental houses. I can confidently say that apartment living was by far the worse living experience I have ever had. I can count on one hand the issues I’ve had with others around me while renting houses and I’ve lost count how many awful experiences I have had in apartments. Apartment living is akin to living in hell. Out of every apartment I have lived in, I have NEVER had an enjoyable experience living next to my fellow man. Most people are rude, noisy and give no sh*** to others around them.

Old 05-12-2020, 06:18 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,761,356 times
Quote:
Yes a lawyer, like i said someone who s familiar with the law, and i am not looking for legal advice from a community forum!!
Look to see if you have a tenant union in your city. I have one here in AZ. They guy that runs it was a lawyer who specialized in real estate law. He has helped me out on a couple occasions with my unresponsive landlord.

Old 05-12-2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:
You need to get a life and stop stalking your neighbor. He’s not doing anything wrong, he’s living in his unit just like you are. If you can hear him living in his unit, your neighbors can hear you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting