Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 10:27 AM

30 posts, read 51,621 times

Advertisements

I live in nycha but have a section 8 voucher so I can move out of nycha which was my goal.I was on facebook marketplace found an ad for a 3 bedroom sent a message,went to the open house and got the apartment.I gave the lady my voucher and we began contacting section 8.I've been talking to her for over a month and finally everything was approved .So 2 nights ago were talking about moving in on Wednesday and she said okay these are the fees $2800 security $2800 broker fee and your portion of the rent.I said what you never mentioned any broker fee and she said I didnt feel I had to you should've known I dont work for free.I said well I didn't know im coming out of NYCHA we dont even pay security deposits so why would you assume that I knew about a broker fee? I than said okay ill go to hra for a one shot deal and she said no we've waited long enough to get approved the landlord isnt going to wait a month to get her money.We need to be paid cash or money order.So she said I'll give you a day to come up with the money.

I sent her an email saying okay I have $2000 towards the broker fee and that's cutting it close and she called me saying thats not enough so I said ill ask catholoc charities to help she said no it takes too long...

So than I came up with $2500 and once again she's nasty and said ill take that but you owe me the rest.I want all of my money.

At this point im saying eff her and the landlord.She never told me about any fees.Im depleting my furniture money to pay her and she's nasty.I want out of this lease her attitude is disgusting and the landlord wants $160 a month extra on top of my section 8 portion which i was okay with but now im reading that's illegal and i just got bad vibes all around.
Is there anything I can this short notice to cancel this lease?

I dont think placing an ad on facebook and opening a door at an openhouse is worth $2800 of my hard earned money.

If by any chance I can get out of this lease im moving down south where there's no broker fees and deposits are under a $1000.

I have the $5900 to move in but Im disgusted with her attitude and the landlord bitched about me asking her to take the window guards out of the window before i move in so I can install my a.c she said oh this apartment is cool when you open the windows....gtfoh....I need cold freezing air.I'd rather fight the roaches and mice in this project apartment than give them $5900
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2020, 02:09 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Section 8 has a lot of drama. That's why I don't accept Section 8 tenants.

And yes, I agree with the broker. You should have asked about move-in expenses instead of assuming it would all be free to you. She should have told you, but she didn't. That doesn't mean you were free to accept no responsibility at all for finding out the terms to move. It also doesn't mean it was not your job to have all of your fees and deposits lined up and ready to pay.

Old 07-13-2020, 09:43 PM

142 posts, read 71,541 times
I thought the point of section 8 was that it was all free.. no? It does seem fishy to me.
Is there a way to just bite the bullet and find another place without the drama and feeling like she is doing something wrong? Why not move first and find something better?

Old 07-13-2020, 10:38 PM

828 posts, read 415,209 times
Yes, easy to get out of the lease.
Just tell them section 8 will not approve them as landlords. It is illegal and called fraud for them to ask for the extra 160.00.
And they had to submit a request for lease approval. In which they had to sign and state the rent amount.
So proof in writing.

They should also have to state the deposit required.

Also if you did pay the extra 160.00 it could be grounds for you to be kicked out of the program. You would be part of the fraud.
They cannot enforce the lease at this point without admitting fraud. Even if you did actually sign one yet.
And they will not want you once they know section 8 will not pay a portion of the rent.

The guaranteed rent is the only reason why some except section 8. Otherwise most section 8 tenants are very irresponsible people.
And what causes them to be on sec 8 to begin with.

Old 07-13-2020, 11:02 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport185 View Post
I thought the point of section 8 was that it was all free.. no? It does seem fishy to me.
And what made you think some ridiculous thing like Section 8 Housing Vouchers meant free everything for the tenant?

Old 07-14-2020, 01:24 AM

828 posts, read 415,209 times
Quote:
Is there a way to just bite the bullet and find another place without the drama and feeling like she is doing something wrong? Why not move first and find something better?
Not all free. Based on income.
What do you mean feeling like doing something wrong. No feelings about it. She is.

Old 07-14-2020, 05:52 AM

Apparently the extra rent thing is common in nyc...it's just not spoken about .I've had several landlords not rent to me because they think i won't have the money to pay the overage they want for the apartment.The real estate broker is licensed and originally she tried to make me pay $400 over what section 8 was willing to pay.It's all illegal.

My mom is telling me to just take the apartment and pay the fees. Something inside me is screaming no don't do it to the point i haven't even cleaned out my current apartment.Im probaly going to take it...

Old 07-14-2020, 05:54 AM

Section 8 isnt free its 30% of your income...i know ppl in the projects paying $1500 rent.Ill be paying $620+

Old 07-14-2020, 01:32 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Quote:
1st months Rent & ALL Deposits & Fees Must be paid by Tenant... Section 8 pays their share of the rent the 2nd month ... which is based on Tenants income. Nothing is FREE!

Old 07-14-2020, 02:48 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
What do you mean “it’s all free”? Sec 8 isn't free....someone is paying the bill. It may not be the tenant but someone is paying.

Section 8 isn’t easy to get into and it’s even harder to find a landlord or apartment building that takes S8 vouchers. When you do find one that accepts it you’re considered no different than any other applicant. You must pass the background checks or whatever rules and charges the landlord has set for applicants. You don't just move first and find something better.

That said I dont accept S8 but even if I did my move in costs are clearly stated. I have never done a last minute “adjustment” or tried to squeeze more money out of a person because I have them at a disadvantage. If I don’t like the results of the background I simply say no thank you and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting