Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 07:19 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,938,945 times

Advertisements

I usually like my landlord and the property manager of this house too.

BUT!

I got a call Sunday afternoon while out that the landlord was going to be in town on Monday and wanted to stop in and "do some maintanence and turn on the sprinkler system". I called back when we got in and talked to the prop mgr... I explained that we didn't want the sprinkler system turned back on (waste of money when it sprinkles more concrete than grass) and asked them to give me an hour before they pop in. No problem.

Monday, no owner. Tuesday, no call yet. I call at noon and ask the property manager (office girl this time, not owner of pm office) what's up. She explains that the owner comes into town once a year and just wants to see their property. Annoying, but understandable. Now when are they coming?

"Ummm, probably sometime this week. I'll put in a call to them and get back to you."

It's Wednesday, after 7pm. Still no callback, no call from owners. Called pm and got voicemail. Maybe I should quickly change the locks and refuse to answer the phone/door when they eventually call/show up? No, that would be WRONG of me.

C'mon though... I have kids and pets. I feel this is inconsiderate in the extreme of these folks. I wonder if I called tomorrow and said, "Yeah, I was planning on handing the rent check to the owners, but they haven't shown up yet" if that would get someone to give me an answer in real time.

Sorry, just had to vent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 09:47 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
They said Monday...wonder which monday in what month & year!!! Feel for you....

Old 05-01-2008, 03:26 AM

203 posts, read 927,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
I usually like my landlord and the property manager of this house too.

BUT!

I got a call Sunday afternoon while out that the landlord was going to be in town on Monday and wanted to stop in and "do some maintanence and turn on the sprinkler system". I called back when we got in and talked to the prop mgr... I explained that we didn't want the sprinkler system turned back on (waste of money when it sprinkles more concrete than grass) and asked them to give me an hour before they pop in. No problem.

Monday, no owner. Tuesday, no call yet. I call at noon and ask the property manager (office girl this time, not owner of pm office) what's up. She explains that the owner comes into town once a year and just wants to see their property. Annoying, but understandable. Now when are they coming?

"Ummm, probably sometime this week. I'll put in a call to them and get back to you."

It's Wednesday, after 7pm. Still no callback, no call from owners. Called pm and got voicemail. Maybe I should quickly change the locks and refuse to answer the phone/door when they eventually call/show up? No, that would be WRONG of me.

C'mon though... I have kids and pets. I feel this is inconsiderate in the extreme of these folks. I wonder if I called tomorrow and said, "Yeah, I was planning on handing the rent check to the owners, but they haven't shown up yet" if that would get someone to give me an answer in real time.

Sorry, just had to vent.
If you just need an hour notice what difference does it make what day it is? The owner comes into to town once a year.........I'd see that as a blessing! The property right beside us is rented out and the landlord is there practically everyday, mind you he's doing stuff, but how annoying is that?!
It's a minor inconvienence, kids or no kids. If they're young enough there'll be an adult right? old enough they should be independent enough to know what to do...........you want annoying?

Last night, I get home from driving 9hrs and get a message, one of my tenants locked herself out of the house! A house in another city, also a house you need to lock from the outside. ie not self locking. Turns out she left the key in New York.
Now instead of getting much need "life cr@p" out of the way this am.............Guess what I'm doing? getting one kid on the bus; driving another one to school..........making another key(s).............oh yeah?! driving said key to location...........and if all the planets are aligned?......

.....Making it to work on time!

Old 05-01-2008, 07:28 AM

They want us here when they come... I have a life, and cannot continue to make plans based on the owner's desire to snoop. Really, I'm just frustrated now. They won't be coming today - I left a message that I am unavailable today, and the hours I am available tomorrow. (They do not hold on to a key, so they cannot get in without me) They are limited - tomorrow I have a long "to do list" of everything I put off the first 3 days of this week. Basically I am available between 6am and 7:15am tomorrow, then again from 12:30pm to 1pm. Again at 3:30pm, but I need to leave by 4pm and anytime between 10pm and 11pm -after that we'll be in bed. My dh will be out of town, so no help there.

I believe they are flying out Saturday morning, but that's not my problem anymore.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:42 PM

HA! My little show of defiance meant NOTHING! Joke's on me...

PM called today... the owner's have extended their trip another 2 weeks. So, I mention that I am annoyed over last week. The PMs solution? She's going to inform the owner's they have to give 24 hours notice of when they plan to come in... and saying "Sometime in the next couple weeks" won't count. Owners agreed.

Boy do I feel petty.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:39 PM

215 posts, read 1,660,315 times
The landlord-tennant relationship needs respect both ways to work best; it sounds like your landlord was not respecting you.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:46 PM

The owners came today... they called and asked about tomorrow, but today was better for me, so they came early. After talking with them and the PM, I believe it's more of a miscommunication problem between them and the PMs.

They are planning on doing some maintenance here! As luck would have it, the garage door opener broke (AGAIN!) this morning, and there were a few things bugging me... stuff we would've lived with, but it's nice that they're going to take care of them. We talked to them also about some of what we want to do with the yard and landscaping and they've offered to pay for it. Plus, they're going to have the automatic sprinkler system rehauled. That'll be nice. I didn't even want the current broken system turned on, but as long as they're willing, it'll help with the new grass seed this summer, especially while we're on our roadtrip.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:44 AM

215 posts, read 1,660,315 times
Middlemen often cause trouble.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:03 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
Maybe they seen this decided to play nice....happy endings are great!

Old 05-06-2008, 02:55 PM

601 posts, read 1,903,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overtaxedunderpaided View Post
If you just need an hour notice what difference does it make what day it is? The owner comes into to town once a year.........I'd see that as a blessing! The property right beside us is rented out and the landlord is there practically everyday, mind you he's doing stuff, but how annoying is that?!
It's a minor inconvienence, kids or no kids. If they're young enough there'll be an adult right? old enough they should be independent enough to know what to do...........you want annoying?

Last night, I get home from driving 9hrs and get a message, one of my tenants locked herself out of the house! A house in another city, also a house you need to lock from the outside. ie not self locking. Turns out she left the key in New York.
Now instead of getting much need "life cr@p" out of the way this am.............Guess what I'm doing? getting one kid on the bus; driving another one to school..........making another key(s).............oh yeah?! driving said key to location...........and if all the planets are aligned?......

.....Making it to work on time!

This key issue should be easy- have her call a locksmith----this is the tenants dime not the landlords problem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting