Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 09:31 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,198,159 times

Advertisements

Please if you have respiratory problems call your landlord...it could make you more ill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2020, 02:29 PM

219 posts, read 439,571 times
Are posters actually reading my posts? I already contacted the landlord. I did so via the move-in condition report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
So, you knew before you signed the contract that the landlord wasn't interested in maintaining the property. You were turned off about the place and you rented it anyway.

I'm short on advice.

It's Maryland and you rented a damp basement. Maybe try a dehumidifier. But basements tend to be damp in areas where it rains a lot. Just so you know for the next time.
You are also short on reading comprehension. I already tried a dehumidifier. It's also in PA and not MD. Please don't blame the victim. My choice was to either continue to live in an 8x10 room (which I did for 2 years) in a 600sqft house with 3 other adults -during a freaking pandemic no less- or move here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
The longer you wait the harder it will be to break your lease....
The only legal action I have is 'general habitability'. Even if it was mold there are no state of fed standards. And when I spoke to the air quality expert he told me he's never heard of a building being rendered uninhabitable due to mold. The law also states that repairs must be made within a 'reasonable' timeframe in the state of PA. Reasonable is not defined. So if I continue to 'make a fuss' as I'm at the very bottom of the economic ladder I risk in the very least not having my lease renewed. Also uninhabitable can only be officially determined by a State authority. This is directly from a legal advocacy group in the state of PA.

I'm only looking for solutions or a guess on what it might be. I already know how to 'call my landlord' and tell her something she could probably care less about. And I wouldn't call anyway since if it wasn't in writing then it 'never happened'. So I'd send another notice explaining the issue and everything I've tried.

And all of this is a gray area. I have no direct proof of anything. It could be the glue in the carpet (which I think is new) for all I know. Testing for air contaminates is very expensive and could have little to no legal relevancy anyway.

Old 10-08-2020, 02:42 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
You submitted a form. A form that obviously wasn’t read unless I missed the part where you said your landlord contacted you regarding the move in check list.

Did I miss that? No? Call your landlord.

And I wouldn’t be so snippy to those trying to help you

Old 10-08-2020, 03:00 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,251,365 times
My word, you must have the worse luck w mold in apts...you have almost an exact same thread about it in 2010.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/rent...6552-mold.html

Old 10-08-2020, 10:03 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
My word, you must have the worse luck w mold in apts...you have almost an exact same thread about it in 2010.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/rent...6552-mold.html
OP indicated that he is on budget and I totally understand that, however some jerk landlords take advantage of it.
Smelly apartment with filthy windows and non working stove that's only the few things OP mentioned so far, on top of the fact that the landlord isn't interested in fixing anything, and expects that the tenant will call professionals at $125/hr rate and fix things out of his own pocket.
Obviously the bedrooms aren't habitable if OP can't sleep there due to the stench.
The kitchen is not equipped to cook meals due to non working stove.
OP moved in 5 weeks ago and nothing is done.
PA, not MD (sorry for my confusion), - it doesn't matter. There must be some laws protecting renters.
If OP is living on disability SS then he is a disabled, vulnerable renter that needs extra protection.

The landlord is expecting timely paid rent due every month, so is the renter expecting to live in a habitable place, and requested repairs done promptly.
Budget or not - there must be minimum standards.
Awaiting Realtors to pitch in with their comments.

BTW: not blaming you, OP, just the landlord.

Last edited by elnina; 10-08-2020 at 10:12 PM..

Old 10-08-2020, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sephiro499 View Post
The only legal action I have is 'general habitability'. Even if it was mold there are no state of fed standards. And when I spoke to the air quality expert he told me he's never heard of a building being rendered uninhabitable due to mold. .

Seriously? Air quality expert said so?
Perhaps he needs to read this:
https://www.hg.org/legal-articles/mo...abitable-35821

You too, OP. See how the notice should be given, properly.
And don't be afraid, because your landlord will use it against you and ignore every of your requests.
You're paying rent and shouldn't feel at the mercy of your landlord.
You might consider to report the condition to a local Housing Authority. Again, don't be afraid. It's your right.
Contact pro-bono attorney and ask for help.
Contact other authorities and ask for help finding suitable place to live.
See if you qualify to live in Section 8 housing.

Your present place doesn't seems to be suitable for a human being to live in.

Those are landlord's duties:
https://realestate.findlaw.com/landl...o-provide.html

Here are your local laws:
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...20Rent%20Rules.
Stop being afraid and get familiar with your rights.

Old 10-08-2020, 11:02 PM

Maybe you need to move to a more affordable state - like Texas. Remember? You got pretty good advice on this thread:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/gene...isability.html

Old 10-09-2020, 03:58 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
OP indicated that he is on budget and I totally understand that, however some jerk landlords take advantage of it.
Smelly apartment with filthy windows and non working stove that's only the few things OP mentioned so far, on top of the fact that the landlord isn't interested in fixing anything, and expects that the tenant will call professionals at $125/hr rate and fix things out of his own pocket.
Obviously the bedrooms aren't habitable if OP can't sleep there due to the stench.
The kitchen is not equipped to cook meals due to non working stove.
OP moved in 5 weeks ago and nothing is done.
PA, not MD (sorry for my confusion), - it doesn't matter. There must be some laws protecting renters.
If OP is living on disability SS then he is a disabled, vulnerable renter that needs extra protection.

The landlord is expecting timely paid rent due every month, so is the renter expecting to live in a habitable place, and requested repairs done promptly.
Budget or not - there must be minimum standards.
Awaiting Realtors to pitch in with their comments.

BTW: not blaming you, OP, just the landlord.
Did I miss the part where he spoke with the landlord and they refused to fix the stove or check out the odor?? I only see that he submitted a move in check list.

I agree that they shouldn’t be living like this, but the OP needs to be making contact beyond a move in checklist.

Old 10-09-2020, 04:46 AM

I think the landlord offered a dehumidifier, but that's just masking the problem, not resolving anything...

OP should give his landlord notice of the defective condition. Often, the lease will contain a provision spelling out how notice must be given (usually in writing and delivered via certified or first-class US Mail).
That's the proper, official way. Important paper trail.
OP seems to be worried about eviction, but he just moved in and can't be evicted for asking to fix the basics in his apartment.
However, I am not sure how long he would stay in this apartment if the landlord refused to do anything. That would be beyond desperate.

Last edited by elnina; 10-09-2020 at 04:55 AM..

Old 10-09-2020, 02:39 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
It appears that you can't afford very much rent. Cheap places are cheap for a reason. If you are on some sort of fixed income, pack a suitcase and take the Greyhound to a state that is drier. That should help your lung issue.

You lived in one bedroom for a long while. You can't own much stuff. Take what will fit into a suitcase and leave the rest. Replace it at the thrift store when you get to where you are going.

Some of the small towns in the desert states are cheap places to live. It appears that you can not afford to live in the area you are in now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting