Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 02:05 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,917,398 times

Advertisements

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...cid=spartandhp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2021, 10:38 AM

5,455 posts, read 4,062,845 times
how is renters insurance going to help? The LL should be paying to put the tenants up elsewhere.

Old 03-14-2021, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
how is renters insurance going to help?
The policy covers collapse of a building or part of a building with the result that the building or part of the building cannot be occupied for its intended purpose.

When that happens the Additional Living Expense coverage takes care of temporary living expenses for the insured.

The insured should not have to pay rent during the period of repair when he can't live there, but that's between the tenant and the landlord.

Quote:
The LL should be paying to put the tenants up elsewhere.
The LL has no obligation to do that if the collapse was not due to his negligence.

That's why one buys a renters policy.

Old 03-14-2021, 12:33 PM

106,765 posts, read 108,973,015 times
Quote:
how is renters insurance going to help? The LL should be paying to put the tenants up elsewhere.
Not usually the case in most states ..your right is you can break the lease and not pay any more rent ...the landlord is generally not responsible for alternate living accommodations....

Old 03-14-2021, 02:22 PM

5,455 posts, read 4,062,845 times
Huh. I learned something new. I thought it was just for my property and liability. Just checked my policy, I have $2000 loss of use. Does that sound adequate?

I did up my liability to approx. the price this (3-unit) building sold for a few years ago, in case it burns down and they try to pin it on something from my unit.

Old 03-14-2021, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Huh. I learned something new. I thought it was just for my property and liability. Just checked my policy, I have $2000 loss of use. Does that sound adequate?
Not if you had to stay in a motel for 30 days. Though you would probably be able to break your lease if damage to the building made it uninhabitable. Figure out how long it would take you to find a new apartment and move in plus what a decent motel room would cost. You could be looking at $3000 maybe $4000. You also have to eat and may have moving and storage expenses.

Also check your landlord tenant statutes for your right to terminate when the unit becomes uninhabitable. In VT it's Section 4458:

https://legislature.vermont.gov/statutes/chapter/09/137

Keep in mind that, for the insurance to kick in, the uninhabitability has to be caused by a covered peril, the list of which you will find in your policy.
Quote:

I did up my liability to approx. the price this (3-unit) building sold for a few years ago, in case it burns down and they try to pin it on something from my unit.
Good thinking.

Old 03-16-2021, 10:23 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,769,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Not usually the case in most states ..your right is you can break the lease and not pay any more rent ...the landlord is generally not responsible for alternate living accommodations....
LL is responsible for building repairs, and if tenants cannot access their apartment due to a necessary repair, that is on the LL.

Renters insurance may or may not help with displacement depending on the deductible and coverage.

Old 03-16-2021, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
LL is responsible for building repairs, and if tenants cannot access their apartment due to a necessary repair, that is on the LL.

Renters insurance may or may not help with displacement depending on the deductible and coverage.
Depends on state laws .. .here ,landlord can’t charge you rent while unlivable....that money you saved can be used to find alternatives ,but that is the landlords limit here here, they are not responsible to pay to put you up ..you can also break the lease with no repercussions

Old 03-16-2021, 02:08 PM

Quote:

To abate rent maybe. But not to pay for temporary lodging. And if it takes weeks because of the need for plans and permits, that's beyond his control.

Quote:

When you are looking at weeks or months, it certainly does help.

Old 03-16-2021, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
To abate rent maybe. But not to pay for temporary lodging. And if it takes weeks because of the need for plans and permits, that's beyond his control.

When you are looking at weeks or months, it certainly does help.
Yep the building next door to us is a matching 7 story building and we share a driveway between us in to the under ground garage .

Well they had a worker doing some repair work , it was a 100 degree day ..the rising vapors from the hot roof ignited and set the roof on fire .

It turned into a five alarm fire ...lots of water damage to the 7th floor and 6th floor apartments....

The building was evacuated and the top two floors couldn’t return for 10 days ....they all had to find alternatives to live in ...only their rent did not have to be paid ....

The landlord did not have to compensate them for alternative living.

Damaged personal property had to be covered under renters insurance or you were out of luck ..leases state landlord is not responsible for personal property either from fire , theft or weather or anything else .

The landlord is only responsible for the property itself

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-16-2021 at 04:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting