Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2008, 06:15 PM

2 posts, read 5,094 times

Advertisements

I went to seee a prospect home that i will like to rent in the future, we had a verbal agreetment that i will pay the first month rent in next week and i wrote a check to landlord as a deposit. After yesterday i changed my mind because my mother is looking to invest in a peroperty in Chino( yep! it the perserve) and im going to live in there. I without letting her know stopped the check, and flake because seeing her again will make me hard to walk way(she is the sale KIND OF persoN!) This morning I recived a voice mail from her saying that she is absolutely pissed of me canceld the check that she is going the sue me!! I do not know that if she was just trying to scare me or she has the intention of doing so, but here are some of the thing that I know.
1. I called the bank this morning and they said the check I issued has not been deposited yet, but there is 3 reasons that a check can not be deposit/cashed- Signature, stoped payment, and insuficient fund.
2. I did not write anything on the paper just yet. The only thing i wrote was the check with- amount, signature, and the word "deposit" on it.
3. Was it legal for her the cash or deposit my check before we even sign an agreement?

this is my first post, but i really found this site informative and is absolutely useful when buying or investing realesate.
thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 04:06 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,884,016 times
I don't blame her for being upset..! You should have been man enough to call her and tell you changed your mind. You were underhanded to say the least. If you aren't sure you want the house, make up your mind before you write a deposit check. You are required to have a good reason to put a "Stop Payment" on a check. You didn't have a good reason, and the bank shouldn't have accepted it. You can't go around writing checks when ever you want, and then stop payment if you change you mind later. A mature adult doesn't act like that.
Of course it's legal for her to deposit the check. It was for deposit in good faith, so she could hold the home for you. She wanted to find out if you were a serious renter or not, and she sure found out what your character is..! She is a business person, and she encountered a child who couldn't face her when you changed your mind. You wasted her time and whatever efforts she had to go through.
In the future, know what you want before buying, and if you do change your mind, do it like a man, not a coward..! If you continue to do business in this manner, you are going to make a lot of enemies in your life time.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:04 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,065,699 times
Agree with Donn. That was a weasel thing to do.

Then again, there are probably some weasel landlords who would cash a deposit check in that situation, then rent the house to someone else since you didn't sign anything with them. Or rent the house to someone else without depositing the check (which is the reverse of your situation).

I doubt it's going to be worth her while to sue you, and there's nothing you can do at this point (or ever) to prevent someone from sueing you (you can sue for any reason, doesn't mean you can WIN). So I would just ignore her and be more honest, courteous, courageous, and responsible in the future. Actually, you should call her up and apologize for being so devious.

Until you get a summons or something official or in writing, I wouldn't trouble yourself worrying about empty threats.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:34 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFaulk View Post
I went to seee a prospect home that i will like to rent in the future, we had a verbal agreetment that i will pay the first month rent in next week and i wrote a check to landlord as a deposit. After yesterday i changed my mind because my mother is looking to invest in a peroperty in Chino( yep! it the perserve) and im going to live in there. I without letting her know stopped the check2. I did not write anything on the paper just yet. The only thing i wrote was the check with- amount, signature, and the word "deposit" on it.
3. Was it legal for her the cash or deposit my check before we even sign an agreement?

this is my first post, but i really found this site informative and is absolutely useful when buying or investing realesate.
thanks guys!
Welcome to City-Data.com and to the Renting Forum... lots of members willing to answer questions.

The first thing to know in California is about Oral Agreements and Renting...

Here is a short excerpt from the California Department of Consumer Affairs on the subject...

Oral Rental Agreements

In an oral rental agreement, you and the landlord agree orally (not in writing) that you will rent the rental unit. In addition, you agree to pay a specified rent for a specified period of time - for example, a week or a month. This kind of rental agreement is legally binding on both you and the landlord, even though it is not in writing.

It's anyone's call as to whether she will pursue this or not... My best guess you will have a difficult time in Small Claims Court if she is of the persistent nature.

As sponger42 said... you will know if she plans to do anything about it if she has you served.

I'm not saying you should do this... but I would call her and apologize and say you got in over your head and leave it at that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting