Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2021, 12:02 AM

1 posts, read 827 times

Advertisements

Hello. I have a question regarding a sudden move-in. I live in a studio apartment near Koreatown in DTLA with my mom. Both of us are on the lease and we've been renting the apartment for almost two years. We did not renew.

I have a sister that lives with her boyfriend in the OC but they've been having problems lately and it has gotten physical. Tonight they had another big fight and she asked us if she can stay with us and plans to come over in a day or two. We are worried about her safety and would love to have her with us but my sister is very worried that she might get kicked out. The apartment manager for our building is nice but I cannot say the same about the company.

I thought I'd ask here for some advice on how to best go about this with the manager and the company. I am hoping that they allow her to stay with us and I am willing to pay extra monthly if needed. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2021, 12:26 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,329,788 times
Tell your LL what you just posted. Only LL can decide.

Old 09-22-2021, 01:51 AM

23,346 posts, read 18,916,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacg12 View Post
Hello. I have a question regarding a sudden move-in. I live in a studio apartment near Koreatown in DTLA with my mom. Both of us are on the lease and we've been renting the apartment for almost two years. We did not renew.

I have a sister that lives with her boyfriend in the OC but they've been having problems lately and it has gotten physical. Tonight they had another big fight and she asked us if she can stay with us and plans to come over in a day or two. We are worried about her safety and would love to have her with us but my sister is very worried that she might get kicked out. The apartment manager for our building is nice but I cannot say the same about the company.

I thought I'd ask here for some advice on how to best go about this with the manager and the company. I am hoping that they allow her to stay with us and I am willing to pay extra monthly if needed. Thank you.
If it isn't clear in your lease, you must ask the manager about the overnight guest policy. Do not assume, get the facts! Knowledge is power. Even if the manager is a nice person he is obligated to uphold company policy. The manager may also have a better alternative for your sister to check into. If you and your mom get evicted for violating the terms of your lease you won't be in any position to help your sister.

Old 09-22-2021, 04:39 AM

34,105 posts, read 83,054,663 times
Quote:
I live in a studio apartment ...with my mom.
Then you have had one too many people to start with.

Old 09-22-2021, 09:20 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,329,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Not true BOTH him & his Mom are on the lease.

Old 09-22-2021, 09:56 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,920,036 times
Quote:
I live in a studio apartment near Koreatown in DTLA with my mom. Both of us are on the lease and we've been renting the apartment for almost two years. We did not renew.
Almost two years? What does that mean? Does your lease expire at the end of this month? At the end of October? Are you preparing to relocate? Have you found another apartment?

Depending on your answers you may be at risk of sudden eviction if you add another occupant without permission.

Quote:

I have a sister that lives with her boyfriend in the OC but they've been having problems lately and it has gotten physical.
Did she call the police? Take out a restraining order? She should have done both.

Quote:
my sister is very worried that she might get kicked out. The apartment manager for our building is nice but I cannot say the same about the company.

I thought I'd ask here for some advice on how to best go about this with the manager and the company. I am hoping that they allow her to stay with us and I am willing to pay extra monthly if needed.
I agree with the others that say talk to the management in advance.

Since you are willing to pay extra maybe you need to get a bigger apartment so your sister can stay over.

Old 09-22-2021, 10:12 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,142,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I'm sure there are plenty of couples that live in studios. I wouldn't want to live in one with my mom, though. That would have to make dating tricky.

Old 09-22-2021, 10:35 AM

34,105 posts, read 83,054,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Not true ...
Yes true.
What a slum lord or other inept LL signs up to lease is quite immaterial.

Old 09-22-2021, 12:11 PM

16,427 posts, read 12,533,205 times
It's quite possible that there are capacity restrictions either by the lease or even zoning laws. Usually it will be based on square footage or number of bedrooms. Your sister would be well advised to have a Plan B in mind in case your LL doesn't allow it.

Old 09-22-2021, 02:24 PM

32,668 posts, read 48,129,403 times
Ask your manager. Get the answer in writing. You probably can't move her in permanently but most likely you can have her as a houseguest for a week or two. Long enough for her to catch her breath and get organized.

Dont try to sneak her in and risk getting yourself thrown out for unauthorized resident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting