Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2021, 02:32 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,832,597 times

Advertisements

Are dogs allowed in your building? Is the dog there with the landlord's permission? Then there's not much you can do about it.

If the dog barks constantly in the unit, notify the landlord in writing, and right away, and repeatedly, to be used as evidence when you break your lease. If the dog actually attacks you, call your town's dog warden and report it and insist it be removed.

Apartment-dwelling dogs should be mostly quiet (only bark when someone knocks on their door), and most certainly should not be running up at people whom they don't know, who are not their friends, and definitely not running unrestrained on a long leash.

All this comes from a person who loves all dogs. You should not have to put up with this. The solution is either the woman trains and restrains and keeps the dog quiet, or you put up with it, or you leave - and I'd say, with how you feel about dogs, you should leave to a single family dwelling. Nowadays, all landlords wind up having to let in pets, since they're all now "emotional service animals".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2021, 02:50 PM

13,304 posts, read 8,547,021 times
My associate is absolutely terrified of dogs. She uses her own body language to stav off any encounter. She has a Body stance that the animal can sense. She isn't externally showing her fear. Instead she halts. Does NOT acknowledge the critter and moves in a direction the dog is less likely to approach from.

My neighbors have two dogs ( yeah what a treat that is when they get into a tiff), they have these Clickers that silences them though. Its a hand held tool. Think of it as a morse code sound for dogs. Anyways every time they are out in public , strolling. They will use the clickers and the dogs immediately HALT and wait for the next clicker sound to proceed. Im sure there is months of training involved, but maybe suggesting this to her will give her some re-assurance that as a pet owner she is in command of her pets behavior .

Old 12-24-2021, 03:19 PM

32,772 posts, read 48,535,399 times
It's tough to go through life when you are afraid of dogs, because dogs are everywhere and sometimes they are not under good control.

However, it is not the landlord's problem, nor the dog owner's problem, that you are afraid of dogs.

The dog doing excessive barking inside the apartment might be something the landlord might do something about as long as you aren't complaining about a couple of occasional woofs, but that the dog barks nonstop for hours at a time on a daily basis.

Old 12-29-2021, 08:31 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,791,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc1291 View Post
Thanks Eeko. I know what you mean about picking your battles. Being 'in a battle' with a neighbor can be very emotionally draining.
Plus, you run the risk of retaliation - trust me, it is not worth it. I once had a large dog try to kill my cat by attempting to break through my patio screen (this was an apartment). I reported it, and they made my life a living H*** for many weeks. The tenants moved out not long after that.

Old 01-07-2022, 06:34 PM

871 posts, read 449,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc1291 View Post
I rent an apt. There are 4 apartments on the floor I live on. The woman next door (we share a living room wall) has a small dog. The dog has been a problem since she moved in a month ago as the dog is a barker. Today when I got home from shopping, I had packages in my arms and when I walked into the building (there is a foyer you enter into) the dog was on a retractable leash...one of the leashes that lets the dog run ahead of you and the owner was walking down the stairs from the upstairs apt. Because the dog was on a retractable leash, she was not near the dog and the dog ran up to me barking and scaring me. The dog seemed really angry. I got scared and left the foyer through a rear entrance to get away from the dog. The owner wasn't doing anything to stop the dog. I did mention to her later on in a very courteous manner (was intentionally courteous about it) that the dog had frightened me. She apologized and we both went our separate ways. There was no discussion. No details were discussed. I do not wish to make an "enemy" of this woman as we literally live right next door to each other. If a dog did not bite you but ran up to you acting like it wanted to bite you, is this something to inform the apartment manager about or because she and I spoke ourselves (for under 30 seconds) do I leave it alone. I am new to this kind of thing and have no former experience with it. Thank you.
Many pet owners are extremely inconsiderate of others. But at least this one apologized. If it happens again try streaming like a crazy woman. Hopefully then she will do her best to keep herself and her untrained dog away from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting