Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2021, 10:46 AM

1,260 posts, read 945,840 times

Advertisements

I am renting this condo in Miami for $1900 per month. I have always paid rent on time and don't cause my landlord any problems. On top of that, because my landlord is in another country, there have been a couple of times where I went above what a tenant should do. Once was there was a leak from the unit above that damaged some of the paint in the ceiling so I took the initiative and just repainted that portion of the ceiling. It was getting complicated for my landlord to find a painter, and there was a leftover can of paint from when it was repainted before I moved in. So I just brought a brush and painted. Basically what I am trying to say is I have been a very good tenant.

With that being said, rents in Miami have increased astronomically and my lease is up in two months. My landlord said I can renew my lease, however, at a new rate of $2550 to match the costs of surrounding rents in the neighborhood.

That is not something I am willing to pay. I am willing to go up as far as $2050, $150 increase of what I currently pay.

With the information I provided above what's the best way to negotiate and make my case to the landlord? I understand it might not work, but curious to hear by others what's the best way to communicate this without sounding too aggressive and give myself the best possible outcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2021, 10:51 AM

6,819 posts, read 11,548,200 times
I think the more important question is can you find a comparable unit to move to for $2,050? If not,then you won’t have much of a case with your current landlord.

Old 12-29-2021, 10:51 AM

17,316 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Ever think the landlord's costs have risen dramatically?

You saw the condo collapse in Surfside, imagine what that did to insurance rates and HOA costs/reserves! Did you google flood insurance increases 10/1/21? Fema redid the rates, articles have noted increases 4-7X what people were previously paying.

You are going to pay this landlord or another landlord but the rate will likely be the same high rent!

https://www.wesh.com/article/florida...-rent/38477955

Old 12-29-2021, 10:55 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,334,327 times
Welcome to rampant inflation (but at least the greeter at WalMart is making $15+). You aren't in a position to negotiate anything. It may be time lower your standards or raise what you're willing to pay.

Lesson learned: should have bought when prices and interest rates were both down. My mortgage has gone down since I bought my SFH in 2014 after a refinance.

Waiting for the "better to rent" crowd to chime in.

Old 12-29-2021, 11:00 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
People buy properties to make as much money as they can to pad their own nest eggs.

Unfortunately that's the way it is. ESPECIALLY absentee owners like your landlord.

It is also unfortunate because housing is a necessity, and that predictably causes problems.

Old 12-29-2021, 11:01 AM

17,316 posts, read 22,056,580 times
https://www.newsbreak.com/news/24716...t-an-apartment

20 people trying to rent 1 apartment..........you aren't getting a deal anytime soon!

If you were a landlord, wouldn't you want more money?

Old 12-29-2021, 11:04 AM

1,260 posts, read 945,840 times
I am actually considering moving to my dad's condo up north in Jupiter (for a few months) not pay rent and just buy a condo.

Old 12-29-2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post

If you were a landlord, wouldn't you want more money?
To answer that question, IF I were a landlord, I would not want the max amount I could get. I'm too soft.

That said, this being CD forum, we're presented with outrageous situations often, and raising the rent 25%+ is outrageous at a time when demand for urban properties are at an all time low.

So either you can easily find another place for $2050 or you were paying 25% under market value.

Rents in NYC were at an all time low earlier in the pandemic and are still pretty low. I check them periodically.

Last edited by jobaba; 12-29-2021 at 11:54 AM..

Old 12-29-2021, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post
With the information I provided above what's the best way to negotiate and make my case to the landlord? I understand it might not work, but curious to hear by others what's the best way to communicate this without sounding too aggressive and give myself the best possible outcome.
Go on Craigslist and research the properties in your neighborhood.

If it's closer to $2000, then show your landlord.

If it's closer $2500, then you're out of luck.

Though like I said, in the urban areas near me, demand for apartments is at an all time low due to entertainment being shut down.

Old 12-29-2021, 11:26 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post
I am renting this condo in Miami for $1900 per month. I have always paid rent on time and don't cause my landlord any problems. On top of that, because my landlord is in another country, there have been a couple of times where I went above what a tenant should do. Once was there was a leak from the unit above that damaged some of the paint in the ceiling so I took the initiative and just repainted that portion of the ceiling. It was getting complicated for my landlord to find a painter, and there was a leftover can of paint from when it was repainted before I moved in. So I just brought a brush and painted. Basically what I am trying to say is I have been a very good tenant.

With that being said, rents in Miami have increased astronomically and my lease is up in two months. My landlord said I can renew my lease, however, at a new rate of $2550 to match the costs of surrounding rents in the neighborhood.

That is not something I am willing to pay. I am willing to go up as far as $2050, $150 increase of what I currently pay.

That is NOT a crazy increase by anyone’s standard. . You can renew or you can move; those are your choices. You’d bring doing your landlord a favor by moving, I bet he could tack on another $500 and get it without complaint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting