Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2022, 09:16 PM

1 posts, read 737 times

Advertisements

My roommate and i have been on the same lease for almost a year. Our lease ends in roughly 6 months and i have no clue what to do. He has put so many holes in the walls in his room and we had a plan to fill them and to let our landlord know, however today he has decided to break a part of my bedroom door while i was at work cuz he, and i quote, "got mad" and kicked my bedroom door. I am honestly terrified due to my anxiety from a past domestic abuse case that made me homeless before i got this apartment. I don't want to lose what i have worked so hard for, but i am genuinely terrified to live in my own home now. How can i make it to where i am not evicted but he is? I cant afford the rent on my own, but i might be able to find a roommate willing to take over his half. Please? Any and all advice is welcomed. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I have been so careful not to put any holes in the walls for even pictures or curtains. I command hook all that up and dont even have posters ANYWHERE!

Last edited by AnonyMouse24; 01-18-2022 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: forgot a bit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2022, 03:52 AM

34,223 posts, read 83,435,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonyMouse24 View Post
How can i make it to where i am not evicted but he is?
a) Only with the cooperation of BOTH the LL and the jerk roomie.
b) Don't expect the jerk to pay for or repair the damage done.
Quote:
i might be able to find a roommate willing to take over his half.
Apply the lessons you've learned when choosing them

Old 01-19-2022, 12:20 PM

32,775 posts, read 48,535,399 times
I suspect that the only screening that usually goes into roommate selection is that they say. "hey, let's split the rent". There is a reason that so many landlords make applicants pass a screening process. They are trying to keep your roommate out. So at a very minimum take a lesson for the future about how to choose whom you will live with.

You might go and talk to your landlord. He probably won't want your roommate to stay after he learns what your roommate is doing. Whether or not he can get the roommate out is a different story. He might be able to, he might not.

More than likely, he will have to kick you both out, but if you have always been a good tenant, he might agree to put you on a new lease all by yourself, with permission to take another roommate. The very worst thing is that he might kick you out and you will have to move, but on the plus side, you will be free of the dangerous roommate and able to try again with someone different and much more carefully selected.

Sorry, but you are very likely to have to pay at least half of the cost of damages, and it is also very likely that you are on the hook for all the damage if the roommate refuses to pay.

Old 01-19-2022, 12:22 PM

You say you are on the same lease, so I am assuming you are co-signatories and jointly and severally responsible. If you are each renting a room separately and not the whole house, my answer would be different. I suggest that you read your lease very carefully to learn exactly what you have signed.

Old 01-19-2022, 12:30 PM

3,031 posts, read 2,274,083 times
If you fear for your physical safety, start lining up a new place for when this lease expires. If need be, walk away from the security deposit and be done with it.

But get the roommate to start patching up NOW. He may be less inclined to make more holes if he has some experience fixing them.

Also, it's unclear if you're on a joint lease or a sublet, but that may make a big difference.

Old 01-19-2022, 03:48 PM

23,614 posts, read 19,408,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post

Also, it's unclear if you're on a joint lease or a sublet, but that may make a big difference.
According to the OP "we're on the same lease..."

Old 01-20-2022, 07:53 AM

8,227 posts, read 8,453,272 times
What was your roommate angry about?

Old 01-20-2022, 01:59 PM

15,182 posts, read 27,970,964 times
Trying to figure out what the borders issue is/was

Old 01-21-2022, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Trying to figure out what the borders issue is/was

Sometimes it is hard to figure out what posters are complaining about. I assumed OP meant "Boundaries", but that is just a guess and maybe this post was about undocumented aliens. Or even space aliens. or foreign country vacation rentals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting