Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2022, 06:35 PM

1,786 posts, read 1,571,652 times

Advertisements

He has to leave when the lease is over. Just because the roommate doesn't want to leave does not mean he has to stick around. If the LL is sensible he'll sue the holdover, the OP has no leverage over the roommate so he's at the mercy of the LL and not the roommate.

I have properties and I insist on every adult being in the lease so that when one party goes bonkers the others are on the hook and therefore I have leverage over the deviant tenant because the other parties might be able to appeal to the holdout better than the LL. In this case the OP and the LL are out of luck.

And yes, I've had this happen when a couple broke up and one of them wanted to break the lease and in another case one wanted to stay and the other wanted to leave. In both cases, my tenants resolved their issues without any spill over to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lz_2022 View Post
Do you understand that the OP cannot just leave the LL to deal with it and that they are tied to the existing lease?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2022, 06:43 PM

304 posts, read 188,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
He has to leave when the lease is over. Just because the roommate doesn't want to leave does not mean he has to stick around. If the LL is sensible he'll sue the holdover, the OP has no leverage over the roommate so he's at the mercy of the LL and not the roommate.

I have properties and I insist on every adult being in the lease so that when one party goes bonkers the others are on the hook and therefore I have leverage over the deviant tenant because the other parties might be able to appeal to the holdout better than the LL. In this case the OP and the LL are out of luck.

And yes, I've had this happen when a couple broke up and one of them wanted to break the lease and in another case one wanted to stay and the other wanted to leave. In both cases, my tenants resolved their issues without any spill over to me
It’s like trying to juggle water with you.

Old 02-03-2022, 07:43 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,146,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
People with poor credit scores don't care about court judgement and they probably have a few. The best thing for OP is to cut their losses and leave out the LL to deal with tenant. No need to burst a vein wrestling a pig in the mud.

FYI, you should only sue people with money and not deadbeats.
Since the OP is on the lease, they will also be named in the eviction, that the landlord is going to be forced to file, if their roommate does not leave when the lease expires.

As for the security deposit, that will be returned when the unit is empty and most likely be issued to both parties or whomever issued the check.

I doubt the OP or the roommate really want to have a judgment or eviction on their record. That’s gonna make life a living hell.

Old 02-05-2022, 09:27 PM

10,083 posts, read 4,816,179 times
Pitfalls of roomates and I've seen some of those relationships end worse than a divorce. That being said sounds like since the OP is on the lease and LL said they don't want roomate there they are stuck or will lose the deposit.

Even if an extension is granted to the remaining roomate sounds right until they exit the deposit held up and that's if they are lucky. What if the roomate leaves damage. If such an extension is granted and deposit is held up I'd try to get the roomate to accept their help packing/leaving so they can clean, repair etc to get deposit back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting